Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 3, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #152 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest not just setting your volume at half since different equipment will output different decibel levels at similar settings. What I always do is wear whatever I plan on burning in as normal, start up the pink noise and then set the volume so it is slightly louder than the levels I normally listen to.

What he said. Half volume for me was just what was "slightly louder than normal".

That being said, the flac file I used feels louder than most files already since it's playing sound on all frequencies at about the same decibel level. So I actually turned the volume DOWN for the pink noise flac compared to most of my music files.

So the rule of thumb is to find the comfortable listening volume, then nudge it up one or two steps (preferably after you take the earphones out so that you don't hurt your ears). Just don't crank it to max volume, or you might damage them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds good. What i will probably end up doing if I get my phones before going to work is listen to them to see how they sound. Then run the pink noise file on about half volume for the weekend. I should be able to tell the difference when i get back to work. thanks everyone.

You should notice a pretty significant difference even after just a day of burn in. 48 hours of pink noise will probably do everything you need, though it may also be worth stopping it for an hour every 12 hours or so. Even headphones can probably use a break after a good workout.

Again, on my first listen to these immediately after getting them, the treble was very bright, the mids were recessed, and the bass was a little flabby. After burn-in, that has all changed. Everything feels even (treble not so bright, mids not so recessed, bass still low and powerful but totally tight). Reminds me of the changes my Tomahawk went through when I burned that it. The Atrio shouldn't take NEARLY as much time to burn in as the Tomahawk did, though. Heheh.

I'm sure you'll love it, Frosty. Welcome to the FS Club. And Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

-Packgrog

May 3, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #153 of 2,359
I'm getting really pissed off that Atrios did not reply to ANY of my emails. Sent 3 over the period of 2 weeks and got NO REPLY BACK.

May 3, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #154 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting really pissed off that Atrios did not reply to ANY of my emails. Sent 3 over the period of 2 weeks and got NO REPLY BACK.

thats odd becasue everyone here seems to think futuresonic customer care is pretty good

what address did you use?

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, bought from an ebay seller, so getting good support from FS if I need it is important

Contact details I found here
http://www.futuresonics.com/contact/index.html

there is a contact number if claling from outside the US but I guess that's going to be expensive from singapore! lol!
orphsmile.gif

May 3, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #155 of 2,359
That is werid I almsot got instant replies from FS when I emailed them with my inquiries.

May 4, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #156 of 2,359
I got a reply the very next day for my first email.

May 4, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #157 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibling Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats odd becasue everyone here seems to think futuresonic customer care is pretty good

what address did you use?

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, bought from an ebay seller, so getting good support from FS if I need it is important

Contact details I found here
http://www.futuresonics.com/contact/index.html

there is a contact number if claling from outside the US but I guess that's going to be expensive from singapore! lol!
orphsmile.gif

Did you get them from the "make an offer" seller? Great price, right? More people should know about them. Turns out, the head of FS used to work for the seller (at least that's what they told me in an email).

May 4, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #158 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get them from the "make an offer" seller? Great price, right? More people should know about them. Turns out, the head of FS used to work for the seller (at least that's what they told me in an email).

yep - "road dog online" or something like that, there is only one ebay seeler that does them currently - have lots of positive feedback, seemed worth the risk for the price even though I need to get them shipped from US to the UK and therefore wait a little while for them to arrive. The seller also does a lot of other PA equipment I think aimed at churches...

someone else said they got them from this seller for $130 so I took that as a guide and ended up getting them for the same price....wish I'd started a little lower with my offer!!!

I love the "make offer" idea as a bartering system on ebay, not come across it before this - seems to work well

May 4, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #159 of 2,359
I purchased mine from Road Dog On Line (CT Audio) as well, $129 + shipping. I am planning to use the pink noise burn in method with them tonight so that I can take a good listen to them tomorrow. I have only listened to them very briefly but liked what I heard. I tried them with the bi-flange tips that were installed when I got them, but I think I'll try out some foamies, too.

I will compare them with my Vibes (which I also need to burn in
redface.gif
) when I get a chance, though I certainly believe the conclusions of warrior05 and others in this thread that the M5s best the Vibes in sound and build quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

May 4, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #160 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif
) when I get a chance, though I certainly believe the conclusions of warrior05 and others in this thread that the M5s best the Vibes in sound and build quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

No contest to my ears between the Vibes and M5s. That doesn't make the Vibes bad. I actually liked the Vibes while I had them. The M5s are on just a higher level.

Look forward to hearing what you hear, Holly!
cool.gif

May 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #161 of 2,359
Warrior-
Is there benefit to doing the pink noise overnight burn-in even after you've had the atrio's for a while? I downloaded the clip, and am wondering if I should bother doing that now that I've had them for some time.

Thanks, Chris.

May 4, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #162 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warrior-
Is there benefit to doing the pink noise overnight burn-in even after you've had the atrio's for a while? I downloaded the clip, and am wondering if I should bother doing that now that I've had them for some time.

Thanks, Chris.

I can't say for sure but I would doubt it. That or the benefits would be so small that you would barely notice. I'm not going to claim that burning in is better done with pink noise rather than music. Or that you'll never have completely burned in something until you use pink noise. I have nothing to base such claims on. It just happens to be something I use and have enjoyed success with. If I had done the same with music I wouldn't be surprised if I achieved the same results.

Especially if you have over 30 hours of listening time on them, I say just enjoy them. If you want to give it a go, there's no harm either and see if you hear a difference the next morning. Oh, and don't forget to tell us what happened if you do try!
wink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #163 of 2,359
I just received a pair of M5s, due to a generous offer to sell by a member here, and of course, I just couldn't resist! I never can.
frown.gif

In any case, I've been listening to them just about non-stop all day (as I did yard work) out of various iPods, using Shure large soft flex tips. The seal is great and they are very comfy. Verdict? I LIKE them...........a lot. The sound is rich and full and the bass is GREAT, even surpassing the UE Super.Fi5s by a bit. As my sonic preferences have changed over the years, I've come to the conclusion that bass is the underpinning of most music......without it, it's pretty tough for me to enjoy the music. I would say these are "fun" IEMS, and while they are definitely not the last word in transparency or detail, they succeed at providing a very rich, musical sound, which my ears (admittedly old) find extremely enjoyable and satisfying. As I'm listening while I type this, another quality is evident.........smoothness. I don't think shrill, harsh, or any similar adjectives could be used to describe the SQ of the M5s.
I haven't done any direct comparisons with the other IEMs at my disposal, but if I get some time in the next few days, I'll be sure to post my impressions.
PS: My only concern thus far is that the wires coming from the Y juncture to the earpieces seem rather thin and fragile. They definitely do not have the thickness, nor the apparent durability, of the Shures. If FS's customer service is half as good as Shures, I'd be very happy. Shure customer service is absolutely INCREDIBLE.

May 4, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #164 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased mine from Road Dog On Line (CT Audio) as well, $129 + shipping. I am planning to use the pink noise burn in method with them tonight so that I can take a good listen to them tomorrow. I have only listened to them very briefly but liked what I heard. I tried them with the bi-flange tips that were installed when I got them, but I think I'll try out some foamies, too.

redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Holly, you beat me by a buck. I offered $130 and got them. Road Dog On Line people are great, very honest. I ordered up some of the black Shure foamies (the new ones) if the M5s don't work with the soft custom sleeves I bought for the FS EM3s I had (just sold them). I hope the customs work, cause they set me back $185.

May 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #165 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibling Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep - "road dog online" or something like that, there is only one ebay seeler that does them currently - have lots of positive feedback, seemed worth the risk for the price even though I need to get them shipped from US to the UK and therefore wait a little while for them to arrive. The seller also does a lot of other PA equipment I think aimed at churches...

someone else said they got them from this seller for $130 so I took that as a guide and ended up getting them for the same price....wish I'd started a little lower with my offer!!!

I love the "make offer" idea as a bartering system on ebay, not come across it before this - seems to work well

That was me, at the $130 price. Wonder how they can sell them so cheaply, and why they are the only online retailer selling them. As I said, the owner of FS used to work with the people who own road dog on line. Guess they are all still buddies.

Anyway, I like that make an offer thing too. Holly got them for $129. Makes you wonder what the absolute floor price is, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back