Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 1, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #136 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question. For burn-in, do you recommend pink noise or just standard music for the M5s? And how long?

9 hours of pink noise made a noticeable difference with mine. Settled the bass and offered a more balanced presentation.

May 1, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #137 of 2,359
Agreed. Start it when you get home, leave it overnight, and it should be much more balanced the next day.

I also find it interesting how the Atrio tackles bass response. Some songs, like Soilwork's The Chainheart Machine, a melodic death metal track, have fairly modest bass response. It doesn't feel absent, but it doesn't feel particularly present either. On the other hand, A Perfect Circle's The Package makes the bass VERY known, and you can feel the bass clearly and fully all around your head, with warmth and power, but also with clarity and a lack of distortion. My car stereo is adequate for a stock stereo, but that can't quite handle the bass from this song without sounding like a fart blast. The Atrio presents it beautifully.

Awesome.

-Packgrog

May 1, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #139 of 2,359
Lucky for me, I am always home (work here). But I will let them go overnight like I just did with my Pk2s. Looking forward to giving them a shot. Now, you have me wondering if I am nuts (since I like the Ety/Grado/Ksc75/PK2 sound) getting the Atrios.

Anyway, I will report in once I get them and do the burn in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. Start it when you get home, leave it overnight, and it should be much more balanced the next day.

I also find it interesting how the Atrio tackles bass response. Some songs, like Soilwork's The Chainheart Machine, a melodic death metal track, have fairly modest bass response. It doesn't feel absent, but it doesn't feel particularly present either. On the other hand, A Perfect Circle's The Package makes the bass VERY known, and you can feel the bass clearly and fully all around your head, with warmth and power, but also with clarity and a lack of distortion. My car stereo is adequate for a stock stereo, but that can't quite handle the bass from this song without sounding like a fart blast. The Atrio presents it beautifully.

Awesome.

-Packgrog

May 1, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #140 of 2,359
Quote:

The SofterWear sleeves should work on the EM3, the ExtremeMac FS1, or the Atrio. The same foam and silicon sleeves work fine for all of these, so I see no reason the SofterWear wouldn't as well.

-Packgrog

Just got an email from FS, and they said if the older soft custom sleeves (pre-SofterWear) don't work, I can send them in and they may "do something." Not sure what that means. But it sounds good.

May 1, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #141 of 2,359
Quote:

Just got an email from FS, and they said if the older soft custom sleeves (pre-SofterWear) don't work, I can send them in and they may "do something." Not sure what that means. But it sounds good.

Awesome. I've had an absolutely FANTASTIC experience with Future Sonics customer server. Every single interaction I've had with them has been a pleasure, and I'm really not one for handing out undeserved praise. This company really goes out of their way to make their customers happy. So it doesn't surprise me that they'd try to help you out with older SofterWear sleeves. There may be a limit to what they can do, but thankfully they aren't the kind of company to leave you in the lurch.

May 2, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #142 of 2,359
Quote:

Awesome. I've had an absolutely FANTASTIC experience with Future Sonics customer server. Every single interaction I've had with them has been a pleasure, and I'm really not one for handing out undeserved praise. This company really goes out of their way to make their customers happy. So it doesn't surprise me that they'd try to help you out with older SofterWear sleeves. There may be a limit to what they can do, but thankfully they aren't the kind of company to leave you in the lurch.

My experience with FS is the same (when my EM3 wire shorted at the plug, they replaced them no questions). Small companies typically behave that way. In fact, same experience with Ety and Grado when a problem arose with both (small problems, but they reacted quickly).

They have some mod idea for the holes, if the M5s don't stay secure in the older soft sleeves. If it doesn't work, I'll just use foamies (black Shures?). Meantime, I was bitten by the Crossroads Mylar One X3 bug (ouch!) and ordered a pair of them as well. Will it never end? Getting to feel like some sort of junkie. If the Crossroads Mylars are what people say they are, I may have to sell the M5s. Doh!

May 2, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #143 of 2,359
Quote:

Meantime, I was bitten by the Crossroads Mylar One X3 bug (ouch!) and ordered a pair of them as well. Will it never end? Getting to feel like some sort of junkie. If the Crossroads Mylars are what people say they are, I may have to sell the M5s. Doh!

I hear you! It wasn't too long ago that I had 4 canalphones and my PK1s in the house. But it is much more reasonable now - 2 canalphones, the M5s and the PK1s. Not to mention my headphones. Uh... and the equipment driving them.
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #144 of 2,359
just got my Atrio M5. initial impressions listening from my PC's Audigy4 are good. getting a good seal is important, as usual with IEMs. foamies are definitely more comfy, and provide a better seal & produce an overall better sound, albeit slightly recessed mids. bass can be abit over-powering sometimes causing trebles to be masked slightly. still waiting for my iAudio D2. overall impression, much better than my Senn CX300 and Shure E5c, much more detail.

will have to let them burn over-night and order some new Shure black foamies to hopefully achieve a desired sound.

May 2, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #145 of 2,359
I decided to order my M5's yesterday and after reading all this post I can't wait to hear them. I think they will fit my listening preferences to a 'T'.
I downloaded a Pink Noise mp3 to help with burn in. What should I set my volume level to while playing this file? Its the first time I decided to use anything like this to help burn in. I usually just let them play through my albums. Seem's how I won't receive these till tuesday, and my weekend is Wend and thurs I thought I would give it a try.

May 2, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #146 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to order my M5's yesterday and after reading all this post I can't wait to hear them. I think they will fit my listening preferences to a 'T'.
I downloaded a Pink Noise mp3 to help with burn in. What should I set my volume level to while playing this file? Its the first time I decided to use anything like this to help burn in. I usually just let them play through my albums. Seem's how I won't receive these till tuesday, and my weekend is Wend and thurs I thought I would give it a try.

I just used the MP3 pink noise file with my PK-2s, and left it run about 12 hours. Volume-wise, I left it about halfway on my Creative Zen Vision M. Not sure if that's enough. A post on this thread (#136) said he did about 9 hours or so with the M5s.

May 2, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #147 of 2,359
I had my Cowon A2 playing the pink noise at half volume. That was the level where it started to become uncomfortable to listen to with the m5. I didn't want to go beyond that for fear of straining them. That smoothed out the treble and cleaned up the bass considerably. The mids no longer feel so recessed.

-Packgrog

May 2, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #148 of 2,359
sounds good. What i will probably end up doing if I get my phones before going to work is listen to them to see how they sound. Then run the pink noise file on about half volume for the weekend. I should be able to tell the difference when i get back to work. thanks everyone.

May 2, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #149 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds good. What i will probably end up doing if I get my phones before going to work is listen to them to see how they sound. Then run the pink noise file on about half volume for the weekend. I should be able to tell the difference when i get back to work. thanks everyone.

I suggest not just setting your volume at half since different equipment will output different decibel levels at similar settings. What I always do is wear whatever I plan on burning in as normal, start up the pink noise and then set the volume so it is slightly louder than the levels I normally listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back