Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jun 14, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #361 of 2,359
Here's a link to my post with the comparison photo. I'm still working on setting up an imageshack account so that I can past the photos directly into the threads. Oh...and I should mention that I have now fully converted to the large olives. It took me a while to adjust to them, but they proved their merit on a couple of plane trips this weekend.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=329

newcopy1jw7.jpg

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #362 of 2,359
I had been using the medium black olives but then I noticed that after about a month of using them nearly every day, they lost a little bit of their size. They still gave me a good seal and my M5s were sounding good but I lost a little of that "Holy cow!" level of isolation.

I ordered the large and used them for the first time last night. I feel some pressure due to the bigger size but they are still comfortable and I've got that incredible level of isolation back. I figure over time the large will lose a little bit of their size as did the mediums but that shouldn't matter since they'll always be bigger than the mediums.

Don't worry. If one of the sizes doesn't work you'll be able to sell them off. I did.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #363 of 2,359
First post ever. Why? Well, I've never owned a pair of ear-anythings over $40, so I figured for my 40th, well, I'm worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I see Packgrog on one of the other boards I hang out on mention the M5s. Rather flatteringly mention them, I should mention. And then I come here. And everyone ELSE is mentioning them rather flatteringly. And me being the follower that I am...I wander over to eBay and order the M5s.

And then I think, 'What the hell am I doing? I'm not an audiophile. These guys who claim rolloff this and burn in that...they're freaks. Okay, maybe not freaks, but really, really picky. Do I really want to be associated with them?' (take that with a big smile, please)

So I get the M5s hooked up to my Zen Xtra (older than dust, I know) without an amp, with the medium tips straight out of the box, and I'm thinking right before I press Play, 'Oh man, this is probably $140 right down the crapper. And no amp? Jeez, I'm such a freakin' noob...'

With great trepidation (sp?), I let it rip. Pain of Salvation's 'Scarsick', to be specific.

And I almost cry. But I'm a man, so I don't. But I want to. And then I start skipping around from song to song, all featuring what I consider to be incredible, deep production, and song after song, I want to cry. But I don't. I've already explained why.

Okay, so I've made a short story very long. But to summarize: these things are the greatest things ever.

Mike

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #364 of 2,359
Welcome to the club Mike, and have fun rediscovering your music collection.
biggrin.gif

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.
~ Edgar Allen Poe~

That experience in its initial manifestation, and not in the later dissection and verbalization, is what we head-fi'ers are truly all about.

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #365 of 2,359
We've roped in another one! Muwahahahaha!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Now, Mike - don't you want to try a nice little amp? How about going lossless and get yourself an iMod. Oh, but just listening through IEMs is limiting. How about a pair of DT990s.

That's right, Mike. Let it take you over. Oh how deep doth the rabbit hole go!

Oh, yeah... and wave bye bye to your wallet as it runs screaming for cover.

Welcome to the sickness that is Head-Fi!!! You are most welcome!
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #366 of 2,359
I have few more questions to ask M5 lovers here.
My M5 is on the way here so I do not know the exact size I need to get. Are shure foamies have the size comparable to the stock M5 foamies I am going to get? (So I can try them out then know which size to buy) or should I just buy a medium one? When I bought my CX300, the smallest rubber fit my ears comfortably so I think I have a small ear canals.
I am thinking about buying an amp for my M5 and my sony mdr-v6. Which amp would you recommend?
Thanks
Don

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #367 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by don_lee103 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have few more questions to ask M5 lovers here.
My M5 is on the way here so I do not know the exact size I need to get. Are shure foamies have the size comparable to the stock M5 foamies I am going to get? (So I can try them out then know which size to buy) or should I just buy a medium one? When I bought my CX300, the smallest rubber fit my ears comfortably so I think I have a small ear canals.
I am thinking about buying an amp for my M5 and my sony mdr-v6. Which amp would you recommend?
Thanks
Don

I would say since the small Senn tips fit your ears, try the mediums though you may have to go with small. If I remember those small Senn tips are really small. As I mentioned, if the mediums are too big you'll be able to sell them off so you can spring for smalls. Or you could do what I originally did - get both (in your case a pack of mediums and smalls), keep whichever fits and sell the ones that don't.

As for an amp - the M5s are easy to drive and don't require one. That's not to say they don't respond to an amp because they do. They sound sweet out of my iMod/Hornet combo. But I primarily listen to mine unamped out of my tiny Cowon F2 or my Trekstor Vibez. With IEMs, I want portability so I leave my amp behind. If you've got a decent source you'll be enjoying the M5s sans amp.

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #369 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post ever. Why? Well, I've never owned a pair of ear-anythings over $40, so I figured for my 40th, well, I'm worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to your DOOOOOM! Sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Quote:

So I see Packgrog on one of the other boards I hang out on mention the M5s. Rather flatteringly mention them, I should mention. And then I come here. And everyone ELSE is mentioning them rather flatteringly. And me being the follower that I am...I wander over to eBay and order the M5s.

Which one? I frequent so many. I'm guessing either iAudiophile, or possibly PM:X^2 given your next statement...

Quote:

With great trepidation (sp?), I let it rip. Pain of Salvation's 'Scarsick', to be specific.

And I almost cry. But I'm a man, so I don't. But I want to. And then I start skipping around from song to song, all featuring what I consider to be incredible, deep production, and song after song, I want to cry. But I don't. I've already explained why.

I'd posted on PM:X^2 about how stunned I was by the production on Scarsick after listening with the Atrio m5. I'm a long-term PoS fan (listed in the thank-you notes of OHBTCL), but was rather disappointed with the material on Scarsick. Listening to the dynamics of the album, though, is a stunning revelation. Beautifully recorded album. I prefer the live version of BE, though.

Again, welcome to Head-Fi!

-Packgrog

Jun 15, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #370 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one? I frequent so many. I'm guessing either iAudiophile, or possibly PM:X^2 given your next statement...

PM:X^2. I'm Sparky just about everywhere I post, although I'm must less active on PM:X^2 than I used to be. I'm over at D's board more...

Anyway, some questions to you fine folk:

How do I know when I've got a good seal? (Please don't say 'He does tricks when you give him fish'
smily_headphones1.gif
) I mean, with the mediums that came on the M5s, I feel like I'm really jamming them in my ears, but maybe that's what you do. I tried the larges, but I don't think I noticed much of a difference (I think).

I know, I know, it's all subjective and will vary widely between individuals...

Sigh.

Mike

Jun 15, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #371 of 2,359
Well I finally caved in and bought the Atrio M5, I hope its as good as advertised. I will compare these to the UM1s. I debated along time between these and the Crossroad X3s, but in the end my I chose the M5s. Thanks boys for putting a hurting on my wallet.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #372 of 2,359
Are you still talking about the flanges, Sparky? The easiest method is to dig up some bass heavy music like Hip-Hop or Funk. The M5s are kind of chameleons in that you won't notice any bass coloration with lighter music, but when asked to, like with rap for instance, the bass can sound like a really well controlled subwoofer. If the bass isn't full-bodied and depending on the mix, centered in your head when you know it should be, then you don't have a good seal.

Hope this helps.

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #373 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark6.190059 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you still talking about the flanges, Sparky? The easiest method is to dig up some bass heavy music like Hip-Hop or Funk. The M5s are kind of chameleons in that you won't notice any bass coloration with lighter music, but when asked to, like with rap for instance, the bass can sound like a really well controlled subwoofer. If the bass isn't full-bodied and depending on the mix, centered in your head when you know it should be, then you don't have a good seal.

Thanks! Yeah, the medium flanges seem to work well for me, but I wasn't getting an *optimal* seal until I actually rotated the phones forward a little - at which point they seemed to 'sit down' into my outer ear (inside the bump at the bottom of the outer ear). Anyway, I'm rockin' now...

Mike

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #374 of 2,359
Don't mention it. I have both the X3s and M5s, and you won't be disappointed in your decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuan209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I finally caved in and bought the Atrio M5, I hope its as good as advertised. I will compare these to the UM1s. I debated along time between these and the Crossroad X3s, but in the end my I chose the M5s. Thanks boys for putting a hurting on my wallet.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back