Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jun 7, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #331 of 2,359
My friend tried to buy it from Road-dog-on-line (an ebay seller), and he was not very happy. After reading this forum, my friend decided to offer Road-dog-on-line $130, the offer was declined; he replied, eventually they didn't accept his $130 offer. My friend asked his brother made a offer for him; this time, start at $100, they replied they will accept "$129.99" (in their first email). My friend was a bit upset, he decided not buying from Road-dog-on-line, he spent $159.99 at Future Sonics.
It was indeed strange. If you try a few dollars, please learn from my friend's lesson.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #332 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark6.190059 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here goes nothing...this is my first post here
eggosmile.gif
, so I'm not sure if my picture will work.

The Shure olive (size large) is on the far left. As you may be able to see, they aren't as deep as any of the atrio tips.

Unfortunately, the large olives were a little too fat for my particular canals, so I can't comment on the sound much, but I did find that the Shure tips were a little harder (stickier) to remove from the Atrio's stem. Because of this, I settled on the included large foamies, which isolated better and didn't quite inject as much bass (albeit, great bass) into my head as the large silicons did with certain sources and songs.

Thanks a lot for the photo, Mark6 - this comparison makes it a lot easier for me.

Are the Shure Olives harder than the Futuresonics foamies? Do they compress as much?

It's really weird to find the correct fit with different IEMs - with the Atrios I prefer the large foamies for both ears (or the large silicone for left, and medium silicone for right ear) - with the V-Moda vibes I use the smallest silicones, with the MylarOnes I also use the smallest silicones (or UE foamies).
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #333 of 2,359
Shure olives exert a greater outward pressure in the ears so you may initially find them giving you a bit of a headache from that. However the fit is good and seal is excellent. They do compress a lot and sprint back quite quickly if new, slows down a fair bit when compressed a few more times.
Once you get used to them and your ear canals adapt to the pressure they'll be perfect.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #334 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend tried to buy it from Road-dog-on-line (an ebay seller), and he was not very happy. After reading this forum, my friend decided to offer Road-dog-on-line $130, the offer was declined; he replied, eventually they didn't accept his $130 offer. My friend asked his brother made a offer for him; this time, start at $100, they replied they will accept "$129.99" (in their first email). My friend was a bit upset, he decided not buying from Road-dog-on-line, he spent $159.99 at Future Sonics.
It was indeed strange. If you try a few dollars, please learn from my friend's lesson.

Very odd. My guess is the $130 rejection was a mistake. He should have tried again, and saved some $$$. I had nothing but a good experience with Road Dog.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #335 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very odd. My guess is the $130 rejection was a mistake. He should have tried again, and saved some $$$. I had nothing but a good experience with Road Dog.

As did I. Called Tuesday and offered $130, they accepted but said they were backordered until next week. I'm not in a rush so said that was fine. They sent me a shipping notification yesterday
basshead.gif
and tracking says they will arrive tomorrow. Not bad. We'll see how they arrive, but so far Road Dog underpromises and overdelivers which is how it should be.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #336 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for the photo, Mark6 - this comparison makes it a lot easier for me.

Are the Shure Olives harder than the Futuresonics foamies? Do they compress as much?

It's really weird to find the correct fit with different IEMs - with the Atrios I prefer the large foamies for both ears (or the large silicone for left, and medium silicone for right ear) - with the V-Moda vibes I use the smallest silicones, with the MylarOnes I also use the smallest silicones (or UE foamies).
icon10.gif

I agree with mho and would have to say that the Olives are, for lack of a better word, more supple. The cells are smaller and appear to have been treated/sealed with something to prevent degredation and permit washing. Because of their shape, I have to insert them deeper than the Atrio tips to get a good seal, which may be why I'm still straddling the fence on them vs. the Atrio foams or alternatives like the complys.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #340 of 2,359
I used the larger sized M5 foamie as well but found the Shure's mediums to fit nicely. However... before you think you've made a mistake...

I've found that over time it seems the black olives have lost a little bit of their size in regards to complete expansion. After a couple of months of almost daily use I find that they are a bit easier to pull them out then at first. I also find that I'm not getting that uber isolation I experienced at first. It still is real good but just not on the same level.

So I've gone and ordered a set of large as well. I feel stupid because I had ordered both medium and large and after settling on the mediums, proceeded to sell off all of my larges. It may take a bit getting used to at first. I remember when I tried the large it was pretty tight. I can't remark to comfort over a period of time since I didn't keep the large in for long. I suspect they'll be fine and just a matter of getting used to their increased presence.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #341 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the larger sized M5 foamie as well but found the Shure's mediums to fit nicely. However... before you think you've made a mistake...

I've found that over time it seems the black olives have lost a little bit of their size in regards to complete expansion. After a couple of months of almost daily use I find that they are a bit easier to pull them out then at first. I also find that I'm not getting that uber isolation I experienced at first. It still is real good but just not on the same level.

So I've gone and ordered a set of large as well. I feel stupid because I had ordered both medium and large and after settling on the mediums, proceeded to sell off all of my larges. It may take a bit getting used to at first. I remember when I tried the large it was pretty tight. I can't remark to comfort over a period of time since I didn't keep the large in for long. I suspect they'll be fine and just a matter of getting used to their increased presence.

I found that the med. foam tips provided fit well, but to my eyes when ordering the shure tips the 'sculpted' shape of the mediums looked like it would make them a tad smaller than the med's provided....so I took a chance and went with the Shure larges. It worked out great. They definitely fill up your ear canal more as you said, but I love how securely in place that feels. I am not a runner, but I bet they wouldn't budge if I tried it. They are so comfortable I forget I have them in. I've been using the same first pair for probably a month, and they still work perfectly. Perhaps a bit of loss of expansion as you said, but that's pretty darn good in my book! I gave a pair of them to a salesman in our company who ordered a pair of the Atrio's on my advice too. He's totally happy with the setup too.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #342 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that the med. foam tips provided fit well, but to my eyes when ordering the shure tips the 'sculpted' shape of the mediums looked like it would make them a tad smaller than the med's provided....so I took a chance and went with the Shure larges. It worked out great. They definitely fill up your ear canal more as you said, but I love how securely in place that feels. I am not a runner, but I bet they wouldn't budge if I tried it. They are so comfortable I forget I have them in. I've been using the same first pair for probably a month, and they still work perfectly. Perhaps a bit of loss of expansion as you said, but that's pretty darn good in my book! I gave a pair of them to a salesman in our company who ordered a pair of the Atrio's on my advice too. He's totally happy with the setup too.

Hmmm, after using smalls (too small) and mediums (seem good, but just not snug enough), it may be time to move up to large Shures. For me, the regular Complys are great, but I hate the tan color. If Comply made black coated foamies, perfect. But I may have to try the large Shures now, because I want to get this over with, and stop the tip fidgeting, so to speak. Anyone want to buy a set of 4 (8 in all) small Shure Olives? Free shipping.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #343 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, after using smalls (too small) and mediums (seem good, but just not snug enough), it may be time to move up to large Shures. For me, the regular Complys are great, but I hate the tan color. If Comply made black coated foamies, perfect. But I may have to try the large Shures now, because I want to get this over with, and stop the tip fidgeting, so to speak. Anyone want to buy a set of 4 (8 in all) small Shure Olives? Free shipping.

You could always go for the platinum gray Complys...

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #345 of 2,359
So would you guys say the high end on the Atrio's is more rolled off than the UM-2's? It's not really that the UM2's are rolled off, just that the high end is more laid back and gets a bit overwhelmed by the strong mids and highs.

What frequency would you say the high end tops out at in the Atrios? Their specs say they go to 20,000 khz. Which is higher then the UM's specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back