Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jun 12, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #346 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would you guys say the high end on the Atrio's is more rolled off than the UM-2's? It's not really that the UM2's are rolled off, just that the high end is more laid back and gets a bit overwhelmed by the strong mids and highs.

What frequency would you say the high end tops out at in the Atrios? Their specs say they go to 20,000 khz. Which is higher then the UM's specs.

graphCompare.php

Here is a HeadRoom comparison of four headphones widely considered detailed and/or bright sounding. As you can see, the two balanced armature models appear to roll off before 20K (Shure's site states 19), although most people consider both (especially the Etys) VERY detailed sounding. Although I have read some statements claiming that armatures are less capable than dynamic drivers at extending to the most extreme frequencies, it doesn't appear that this affects peoples' perceptions of what constitutes high end detail and resolution.

This may be because detail perception relates more to (1) the relative 10K-18K "peakyness" of a particular headphone and (2) all of the design characteristics of the driver/damping system that determine the attack and decay characteristics of particular frequencies in relation to the rest.

Although I also haven't seen any response graphs of the Atrio's, I would guess that they would appear slighly less peaky than most of the ones shown in the 10,000 hz range, yet still above -20 dBr (this is probably going to come back and haunt me) by 20K. Although I'm now almost 30 and possibly losing some hearing at the highest frequencies, I don't really feel I'm missing much high end information with the Atrios compared to even my SR225s, which are also considered bright. The high end detail just isn't emphasized as much on the Atrios, which ultimately makes them very enjoyable without being sibilant and fatiguing. The kicker for me is the overall neutrality (especially lower midrange) and coherence of the Atrios compared to the SR225s, which seem just a little hollow sounding by comparison. I'll always love the 225s, but Future Sonics really made a winner with the Atrios.

This doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #347 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I did... ordered the large Shures cause I use the large Futuresonic foamies...

After doing a lot of flying around in prop planes this weekend, I've finally converted and adjusted to the Shure large olives due to their superior isolation. I definitely wouldn't want to go jogging or biking with these in, however, as a semi would likely be on top of me b/f I would hear it.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #348 of 2,359
Yea, that helps! I've studied those graphs myself a time or two, I wish somebody would do some for the other IEM's. I guess it's a marketing thing. I know that I'm gonna love the bass and be happy with the mids I just wonder about the highs. The highs are always the thing with IEM's. Too much highs with no base, right amount of highs but fatiguing.... always seams to be something I don't like about the highs in IEM's. One thing I do find with dynamic driver vs. armatures is I'm much less likely to find a dynamic driver to be peaky, harsh and fatiguing. I should just hit the "add to cart" button and be done with it.

Thanks a lot head-fi, you person!

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #349 of 2,359
Funk-O-Meter,
You should just do the add to cart thing- if you're referring to the Atrio's. If it's harsh highs that's always bothered you about IEM's... then I think these are the ticket for you. I would characterize them as very smooth and natural- very opposite from how I remember the Ety er4p. They remind me of my Meadowlark Shearwater HR home speaker. They're mellow but refined & detailed. Some say that they find the treble slightly rolled off, but to my ears there's PLENTY of detail, it's just not as 'hot', or emphasized as some other IEM's. Then there's the bass- oh man, you're in for a treat there (that's all I'll say).

-Cheers.

(be sure to order a set of the black Shure foam tips as discussed further up in this thread- they really help).

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #350 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funk-O-Meter,
You should just do the add to cart thing- if you're referring to the Atrio's. If it's harsh highs that's always bothered you about IEM's... then I think these are the ticket for you. I would characterize them as very smooth and natural- very opposite from how I remember the Ety er4p. They remind me of my Meadowlark Shearwater HR home speaker. They're mellow but refined & detailed. Some say that they find the treble slightly rolled off, but to my ears there's PLENTY of detail, it's just not as 'hot', or emphasized as some other IEM's. Then there's the bass- oh man, you're in for a treat there (that's all I'll say).

X2. Plenty of detail, none of the harshness. You do need to let them burn in before giving final opinions, though, as they do change a fair bit over time. Having gone through two sets now (my first was defective, and replaced), I can say with certainty that these need a good 100 hours of burn-in before they settle into their true sound signature. They might start out a little harsh on the highs and flabby in the lows, but give it time, and you'll be in love.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #351 of 2,359
I am definitely going to buy these earphones after so much positive response. What would be the best DAP amped/unamped with those m5's. I want unamped on the road and amped @ home. What would be the best DAP/amp with them?

I get the impression the Ipod is best reading this topic. My favorite music is Linkin Park, Red Hot chili peppers, Nelly Furtado and rap.
I didn´t like the Iaudio D2 it sounded to analytical and harsh and it as source would take the goods of the m5´s I expect.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #352 of 2,359
Since you already have a Cowon... I'd say the Cowon D2 works really well with the Atrios. It's a bit on the brighter side (complementing the darker Atrios), runs on a Wolfson CODEC/DAC and TeleChips SOC, and it's a really nice player, all in all. The 74mW output power sure drives the Atrios very well without an amp.

I hardly experienced any difference between the D2 and my Woo6 tube amp (except the "tubiness" differences, of course).

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #353 of 2,359
the cowond d2 does work well with the d2. it has a softer edge with all iems i have heard compared to some other daps. as all who have mentioned in this thread, the m5 is not harsh at all in the highs. it is not laid back either. it is for my listening, quite a balance between the bright dt880 and the big thud of the dt770. if i were to compare it to headphones now after a long time of listening, it is a portable dt770 yet has a sweeter midrange that makes classical and strings live.

i found the 'warm' um2 to be too much in the highs - sibilant. they could not extend far, but they killed there. the m5 certainly extends farther - i can hear the mp3 that was out that only under 20 should hear, whereas with the um2, i heard nothing.

no recommendation can be far from the truth - these are small headphones, not the typical iem style of bleed your ear sound.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #355 of 2,359
Hey guys,
I've noticed people buying shure foamies from a ebay seller named "idealsound". He seems like a reputable seller so I could like to get a foamies from him as well. There are a lot of ear tips without a picture so I am having a hard time which one will fit my M5. Can someone help me to choose a right one?

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #357 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by don_lee103 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I've noticed people buying shure foamies from a ebay seller named "idealsound". He seems like a reputable seller so I could like to get a foamies from him as well. There are a lot of ear tips without a picture so I am having a hard time which one will fit my M5. Can someone help me to choose a right one?

You'll want to look for one of following item numbers: PA910S (small tips), PA910M (medium tips), or PA910L (large tips). What size works for you will depend on the shape of your ear canals, but as a very rough guide, idealsound has stated that most people order the mediums from them, and Shure has mentioned that the larges were made for "special cases" in which the average-sized mediums don't work.

EDIT: Didn't realize idealsound and discountheadphones.com were one and the same. Glad to see you onboard, don_lee103! Hope you enjoy your m5s!

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #359 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the large Shure Olives, cause they looked the same size as the large Atrio foamies... hope they fit the same. Otherwise it's $14 down the drain and another 2 weeks of waiting for the post dude with the medium Olives... oh well.

I'm sure you'll get some takers in the For Sale forum here if the larges don't work...fret not!

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #360 of 2,359
Thank you for your warm welcome
etysmile.gif
My M5 is on the way here so I do not know the exact size I need to get. Are shure foamies have the size comparable to the stock M5 foamies I am going to get? (So I can try them out then know which size to buy) or should I just buy a medium one? When I bought my CX300, the smallest rubber fit my ears comfortably so I think I have a small ear canals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll want to look for one of following item numbers: PA910S (small tips), PA910M (medium tips), or PA910L (large tips). What size works for you will depend on the shape of your ear canals, but as a very rough guide, idealsound has stated that most people order the mediums from them, and Shure has mentioned that the larges were made for "special cases" in which the average-sized mediums don't work.

EDIT: Didn't realize idealsound and discountheadphones.com were one and the same. Glad to see you onboard, don_lee103! Hope you enjoy your m5s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back