Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jun 15, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #376 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Yeah, the medium flanges seem to work well for me, but I wasn't getting an *optimal* seal until I actually rotated the phones forward a little - at which point they seemed to 'sit down' into my outer ear (inside the bump at the bottom of the outer ear). Anyway, I'm rockin' now...

Mike

This is what I experienced with the flanges. I would get a great seal but it wasn't consistent... and I wear my M5 with the wire over and behind my ear. That's why I went to the Shure black olives.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #377 of 2,359
I just posted a short review of a MiniBox-E amp.

I'll tell you, my biggest problem is that the M5's unamped with my iPod sound as close to spectacular as you can get with a portable setup. I honestly believe the M5's on their own lessen the effect of any amp. Sure, the amp makes the sound clearer, but it's hard to tell if it produces any better bass or treble.

I also have Future Sonics EM3's which I use weekly when mowing the lawn. I love the EM3's, but the M5's are just, well, THAT much better.

To know I just can carry my iPod and the M5's and get "audiophile" sopund is amazing, enjoyable, and satisfying.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #379 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that much difference here either, directly from the Cowon D2, or the Woo Audio 6. Amping the Atrios certainly isn't really a "requirement".

I'm curious - have you compared your other IEM's effect on amping versus the M5's? Is it that the M5's are that well rounded (I certainly believe so) that amping them really isn't needed unless you're looking for a small subtle increase in quality?

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #380 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I experienced with the flanges. I would get a great seal but it wasn't consistent... and I wear my M5 with the wire over and behind my ear. That's why I went to the Shure black olives.

Yeah, I've been wearing them below the ear, but they're not all that comfortable that way, and they're MUCH more comfortable over the ear, but when I tried over, the seal went to pot. So, yeah, I may be in the market for the Shure olives...

Mike

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #381 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious - have you compared your other IEM's effect on amping versus the M5's? Is it that the M5's are that well rounded (I certainly believe so) that amping them really isn't needed unless you're looking for a small subtle increase in quality?

Sure, the punch and dynamics are increased a little by a proper amp - but for my ears it's in the "last 5%", as audiophile folks would say. With my V-Moda Vibes I notice much more improvement on the Woo 6 than with the Atrios.

The Atrios were made by a company specialized in on-stage monitoring (actually the guys that invented the whole shtick), so yes, for my ears they perform well with low powered sources.

OTOH, the Cowon D2 is the most powerful portable player available with its 74mW amp. I should try the Atrios on my measly 18mW Samsung player, to see if there's any difference.

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #382 of 2,359
As far as I know they didn't invent it. They saw somebody come in with some super privative equipment to demonstrate the concept and didn't have the idea developed worth a crap and decided they could do a way better job. And they did. That was way back in the early 80's I think. They do deserve credit for developing it to the point where it's a usable concept. About the time it became an attractive idea and Future Sonic as proven it in the field the other companies jumped on board and 15 years later we have what we have now. Hurray Future Sonics!

BTW, I tried to order a pair from Road Dog Online lastnight but they didn't accept my $130 offer. I guess that sale is over. But I did make an appointment to have impressions made and I'm going with Livewires. Hurray.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #384 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OTOH, the Cowon D2 is the most powerful portable player available with its 74mW amp. I should try the Atrios on my measly 18mW Samsung player, to see if there's any difference.

Just for grins (since it sounded SWEET today), I looked up the specs for my Creative Zen Xtra, and it claims to be 100mW. Is that right?!? If so, no wonder I was in sonic heaven all day....

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #385 of 2,359
That certainly doesn't sound right. But as usual with Creative, I can't find any useful specs of a discontinued player anywhere on their site: http://us.creative.com/products/prod...Specifications ... In 2003, players had not much stronger amps than 10-20mW, in general. And Creative isn't known for overpowering their players, usually.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #386 of 2,359
Hello! Please, advise, as far as benefits of obtaining an M5, since I alredy have Etys ER-4p and UE3. Etys are very articulate and clean, but, somehow "cold" and the UE3, while very good, is not exiting and kind of boring. I am technically illiterate, but enjoy greatly classical music through my Etys, mostly. Maybe I just want another toy? Thank you for your replies.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #387 of 2,359
I posted this over in the portable forum and thought I would post here as it seemed appropriate.

Special thanks to DFKT: your glowing review over at ABiP was the deciding factor in buying the Atrios M5. Sure glad I did, I love them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah nice! I'd like to hear everything about this match, because I will likely be buying them both too. I want to know everything
tongue.gif
mids, bass, highs, harshness, punch, detail, clarity, smoothness, analytical/musical. etc
etysmile.gif

Mids: right where they belong: neither lost in nor overpowering the highs or lows.

Bass: this is the M5's forte: extremely rich bass for an IEM. Bold but not dark or muddy. Any more bass and they could almost be considered "basshead" but no; just right.

Highs: I can tell you that they are not sibilant or tinny (as My Shure E3c's sound compared to the M5; the e3c's sound just horrible compared to the M5). Nor do you have to reach for them.

Harshness: never. These are the opposite of harsh. Mellow but not subdued.

Punch: Not sure what this term really means.

Detail: very good detail. You will probably have to raise your minimum bitrate requirements. I did.

Clarity: nice and clear. Crystal. I do not hear the hiss that others seem to.

Smooth: Very silky smooth. This is one of the top 1 or 2 adjectives to describe this combo: SMOOTH.

Analytical/Musical: I would say the scales tip decidedly towards musical. I can listen to this setup for 5-6 hours with no fatigue whatsoever.

M5 is also very good at minimizing microphonics but is not as good at isolation (Black Foamies), not bad, just not as good as the E3c's. I think some sound actually transmits through the shell but it is of very little concern as the difference is minimal. Edit: I tried them tonight with the M5's NOT going up and over the ear (same way that I listen to the E3c's) and the isolation was every bit as good that way. Maybe I have funny shaped ears.

They match the listening pleasure that I get with my Grado's in an IEM but with better bass.

My search is over (for now ):
Kenwood / iGrado's at home
Kenwood / M5's portable.

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #388 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Etys are very articulate and clean, but, somehow "cold"...

M5s are very musical. Easy to just lose yourself and simply listen and enjoy what you're hearing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... the UE3, while very good, is not exiting and kind of boring.

M5s are the exact opposite. Fun! Fun! Fun!

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #389 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I tried to order a pair from Road Dog Online lastnight but they didn't accept my $130 offer. I guess that sale is over. But I did make an appointment to have impressions made and I'm going with Livewires. Hurray.

Weird, I ordered today and they accepted my $130 offer. I'd say give it another shot.

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #390 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by irwando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird, I ordered today and they accepted my $130 offer. I'd say give it another shot.

This happened with another Head-Fi'er. They rejected their $130 offer but knew someone else who's offer was accepted the same day. Perhaps it depends who is responding to the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back