Futuresonics Atrio M5
Mar 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2,296 of 2,359

Quote:
I had the Atrio M5s for about a month and I just recently lost them in the Dallas love field airport
frown.gif
So if someone found a pair please let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought a set of the Shure E500s from Frys on sale for 200 bucks. They are great but I got to tell you I miss the Atrio bass and natural sound stage. The e500s details are better than the Atrio but the Atrio has better bass and are just great for rock and the kind of music I like. I also found them easier to wear while running or going to the gym. I think they are a bargain for price/quality. In fact I'm going to put the E500s on ebay and I order another set of M5s....

Hi there, I also have the Shures 530 and the 535. I also have the Westone 2 and 3 but I find myself wearing the Atrios most often. The Shures are accurate and comfy,the Westones have  a bit more bass and a bit sloppy and comfy but the Atrios has a bit of everything but the added wow factor and the just plain fun. Also the Atrios are built well but look cheap. I dropped my Atrios in a glass of water and they still worked while my Shures, Westones and Ultimate ears broke from me sweating into them. Boris

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #2,297 of 2,359

Quote:
Picked up a pair of Atrios off ebay for US $95 - a steal. They arrived on Friday (Nov 21) and it turns out they are v1. Amazing that the v1 is still being sold - they must have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a year or so before someone noticed them. I was concerned that I was missing out on sound quality compared with the v2, but of the two comparisons I can find one guy says there's a difference in mids and highs, but another guy says there's non at all. Personally, I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

Initial impression: great bass, but lacking isolation, soundstage, clarity, form-factor, and presentation of mids and highs in comparison to my battered old Etymotic ER-6i cans, which were somewhat cheaper.

The Atrios have definitely improved with burn-in.

Hi there, I read this post you wrote about the Atrios. I have the Westone 2 and 3, Shure 530 and 535, UEpro5EB. I like the Shure 530 for all around listening and after the 530 I like the Atrios for the fun and the bass! Westones are ok but not too thrilled and both cables broke. The UE broke aslo due to weak cables.

May 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #2,299 of 2,359

Quote:
The right side of my m5s has died!!
I have no idea how it happened!

What should i do? Ive had em for 4 years now..
Is it time to get a new pair?

4 years is pretty good. The new Atrios are even better and you'll get half off! Just email David Gray (grayd@futuresonics.com) and he will take care of you.

May 15, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #2,300 of 2,359

Just tried Atrio M5 (with MG7), and while the bass was good, after 4 days of burn in, the rest (mids and highs) were not that great - they sound rather unpolished and rough.  FutureSonics calls that natural timbre, but I do not find it natural as many instruments and some voices did not sound right but rather unnatural.  Also, Atrio M5s fit is a bit weird with the very unnaturally large rubber strain relief.  Yes, the bass is good but the overall sound is damped, unrefined and unexciting.  They do not come close to MTPC and MD, which are a bit more expensive but they are not comfortable either.  The sound of the Etymotic MC, about half price, is cleaner and more refined but lacks in the bass and excitement and comfort also.  Was hoping for a more comfortable and lighter alternative for MTPC but these are not it by far.  Ordered set of IE8 to try next instead.

May 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #2,301 of 2,359
The mg7 driver needs approximately 100 hours of burn in before they quit changing.  Somewhere in the 90 hour mark, mine became very smooth.  While the treble is understated, the mids are really good.

If you are still getting an upper mid peak around 8k, they still need burn in.

May 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #2,302 of 2,359
I don't feel much of any burn-in effect on mine. If you don't like it, I doubt burn-in will change much of your impression. Also, it is a little u-shaped in sound, so it won't be a great IEM for vocal. MTPC on the other hand is a pretty good IEM for vocal as it is mid-centric. If you are looking a good vocal IEM with good bass, I would think DDM will be a better choice over Atrio.

May 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2,303 of 2,359
ClieOS, I actually had sibilance issues with vocals and cymbal crashes during burn in. After burn in there was no hint of sibilance on the same songs. I was attributing the sibilance to that upper mid peak that settled after burn in. Have you experienced this?

May 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #2,304 of 2,359
I too am of the opinion, that regardless of burn in, any IEM gives you a pretty good flavor of their sound sig from the get go.  Someone gave the analogy with a new car - you may need to take it easy on it for the first few thousand miles, but that doesn't change how the car rides and handles, so you do know from the start.

After four days of burn in and listening, I don't think the Atrio is for me and see no need to continue giving them more chances that already have.  Additionally, the awkward fit with the long, crooked at that, rubber piece that prevents the body of the M5 to be moved around the ear more freely, is a deal breaker as well.  

Actually, there was also issue with the mini plug - it kept popping out of my MacBook Pro - it never went in fully with a nice solid click as all other IEMs I've tried.  That's also a big miss.

May 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #2,305 of 2,359
Oh, sure the sound sig doesn't change but the roughness you described did, at least for me. I thought they were really good with classic rock recordings from the 70's and 80's, as most of those can be a little thin on the low end from cd.

May 15, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #2,306 of 2,359
Quote:
ClieOS, I actually had sibilance issues with vocals and cymbal crashes during burn in. After burn in there was no hint of sibilance on the same songs. I was attributing the sibilance to that upper mid peak that settled after burn in. Have you experienced this?

Nope, I don't hear any sibilance since the first listening.

Quote:
I too am of the opinion, that regardless of burn in, any IEM gives you a pretty good flavor of their sound sig from the get go.  Someone gave the analogy with a new car - you may need to take it easy on it for the first few thousand miles, but that doesn't change how the car rides and handles, so you do know from the start.

After four days of burn in and listening, I don't think the Atrio is for me and see no need to continue giving them more chances that already have.  Additionally, the awkward fit with the long, crooked at that, rubber piece that prevents the body of the M5 to be moved around the ear more freely, is a deal breaker as well.  

Actually, there was also issue with the mini plug - it kept popping out of my MacBook Pro - it never went in fully with a nice solid click as all other IEMs I've tried.  That's also a big miss.

Do you really find the strain relief that awkward? I personally think it is fine. I just wonder if you are wearing them on the wrong side...

May 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #2,307 of 2,359
The Atrios have a very warm, dark sound.  The newer MG7's are brighter than the older version, but they're still dark compared to many other IEM's.  While I felt clarity and treble improved with burn-in, they're still super warm, which to your ears may be unexciting.  I can understand this, as my Atrios sometimes sound that way to me after I've been listening to my HJE900's for a bit.  While I personally prefer a dark, non-fatiguing and bass-heavy sound, no worries if you don't!  That's what the "for sale" section is for  :)

I do have to disagree with you on the strain relief though...eartip issues aside, I find the housings of the Atrios quite ergonomic and can get them super deep in my ears without the housings being an issue.  With Comply tips on, I can get the Atrios absolutely buried into my ears with pretty good comfort, much deeper than my other phones even with the same tips.  Come to mention it...the Atrios' sound is quite dependent on both the eartip and getting a deep fit.  If you're having issues with fit, your sound quality complaints may be associated.  If they don't work for your ear shape, not a whole lot you can do then!

Not quite sure about your issues with the miniplug though...looks like a normal 1/8" plug to me and fits into my lab's Macbook Pro just fine.  Just sounds like Atrios weren't meant for you!

May 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #2,308 of 2,359
I tried them both over the ear and down.  Over the ear was awkward with the strain relief as it was difficult to find the correct angle.  Down was easier but then microphonics come more into play.  All the foam tips and double flange are way too long for me.  Only the short Olives and Soft Flex Shures worked but again the sound sig is not to my liking.  Either way, they are a significant step down from my MTPC and are not going to replace them.  The IE8 get the next opportunity.

May 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2,309 of 2,359
It has been a while since I listened to IE8, but I doubt you will find IE8 an real upgrade over MTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back