Futuresonics Atrio M5
Feb 16, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #2,281 of 2,359
I've tried the small and large foams as well as the small, medium and large silicon tips. :frowning2:  Maybe I need different tips all together (if aftermarket is what you meant)?  I don't know if there's a "universally correct" way to insert them into the ear.  I've really ever owned one pair of IEMs (the SA6) prior to the Atrio M5s.  According to Sleek Audio, one was supposed to pull their ear up and outward as they inserted the IEM in.  With the SA6 I was able to get great isolation doing just that.  I can't seem to get the same isolation with the Atrio M5s.  Maybe I was inserting them in too far?  Like I said...I've only had a good listen to them for about four hours with the M5s....

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,284 of 2,359
Yeah I agree with Inks, something must be going on.  The Atrios are difficult to beat in terms of both bass and isolation as far as universal IEM's go.  I'm not using Atrio tips on mine, I'm actually using Klipsch double flanges.  I have a review somewhere I wrote about the different tips, which I actually need to update pretty badly...

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #2,285 of 2,359

Quote:
I've tried the small and large foams as well as the small, medium and large silicon tips. :frowning2:  Maybe I need different tips all together (if aftermarket is what you meant)?  I don't know if there's a "universally correct" way to insert them into the ear.  I've really ever owned one pair of IEMs (the SA6) prior to the Atrio M5s.  According to Sleek Audio, one was supposed to pull their ear up and outward as they inserted the IEM in.  With the SA6 I was able to get great isolation doing just that.  I can't seem to get the same isolation with the Atrio M5s.  Maybe I was inserting them in too far?  Like I said...I've only had a good listen to them for about four hours with the M5s....

This may sound weird, but try wetting the (silicone) tips slightly before inserting them. They'll insert easier, & most likely go further into the ear, providing more isolation.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #2,286 of 2,359

Quote:
Yeah I agree with Inks, something must be going on.  The Atrios are difficult to beat in terms of both bass and isolation as far as universal IEM's go.  I'm not using Atrio tips on mine, I'm actually using Klipsch double flanges.  I have a review somewhere I wrote about the different tips, which I actually need to update pretty badly...

Well, I guess what I should be asking is this...just how much isolation should I be expecting?  I'll continue to prod around for other tips to use on the M5s.  I'll run a search for your thread too.  So far I've been using the foam tips with M5s and I believe my ears are adjusting much better than initially.  After several more hours of listening the bass does sound much better with Mach3Bass set to 5.  I was hoping not to EQ though.  Maybe I'm just expecting too much when I shouldn't be.  Otherwise I'm really happy with the M5s...they sound fantastic.

Quote:

This may sound weird, but try wetting the (silicone) tips slightly before inserting them. They'll insert easier, & most likely go further into the ear, providing more isolation.

I'll definitely give that a try, thanks for the suggestion!

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2,287 of 2,359

Quote:
Well, I guess what I should be asking is this...just how much isolation should I be expecting?  I'll continue to prod around for other tips to use on the M5s.  I'll run a search for your thread too.  So far I've been using the foam tips with M5s and I believe my ears are adjusting much better than initially.  After several more hours of listening the bass does sound much better with Mach3Bass set to 5.  I was hoping not to EQ though.  Maybe I'm just expecting too much when I shouldn't be.  Otherwise I'm really happy with the M5s...they sound fantastic.

I'll definitely give that a try, thanks for the suggestion!

In terms of isolation, you can expect a lot, but still be reasonable.  I periodically come across people complaining about the isolation of a particular IEM, and they talk about it as if they expect the outside world to completely disappear and that's simply not how it works; not with IEM's, not with closed ear cans, not with customs.  I personally have not come across another IEM which isolates better than Atrios, but YMMV due to different shaped ear canals, your expectations, and so on.  Do you have other headphones which seem to isolate more?  Are you inserting the tips deep into your ear canals?  The Atrios are designed to go waaaaaaay into you ears, especially with the silicone tips; I actually use small-sized Atrio silicone tips whereas I use mediums on all other phones just because the smalls are easier to get deep into my ears.  If you find my Atrios tips thread vaguely useful, leave a comment for me.  I've been considering updating it with more tips I've tried, but haven't bothered just because I haven't had much time and it hasn't seemed like there's been much interest.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2,288 of 2,359
I use custom silicon ear mold tips with my Atrios and the isolation is tremendous.  Can't really hear the flight attendants at all :wink:   I found that I really needed to use some hearing aid lube to get them in correctly, though, and then they're still rather difficult to remove.  Even with the custom molds, however, I find the IEMs get uncomfortable after a few hours.  I've had this problem with every IEM headphone that I've tried, so I think it's my ear sensitivity more than anything else.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #2,289 of 2,359

Quote:

In terms of isolation, you can expect a lot, but still be reasonable.  I periodically come across people complaining about the isolation of a particular IEM, and they talk about it as if they expect the outside world to completely disappear and that's simply not how it works; not with IEM's, not with closed ear cans, not with customs.  I personally have not come across another IEM which isolates better than Atrios, but YMMV due to different shaped ear canals, your expectations, and so on.  Do you have other headphones which seem to isolate more?  Are you inserting the tips deep into your ear canals?  The Atrios are designed to go waaaaaaay into you ears, especially with the silicone tips; I actually use small-sized Atrio silicone tips whereas I use mediums on all other phones just because the smalls are easier to get deep into my ears.  If you find my Atrios tips thread vaguely useful, leave a comment for me.  I've been considering updating it with more tips I've tried, but haven't bothered just because I haven't had much time and it hasn't seemed like there's been much interest.

I have the SA6 which do seem to isolate more.  I seem to be getting better isolation with the M5s now.  Sometimes I worry they're going way too far into the canal and that I'm doing damage to my ear drums.  I plan on buying the Shure olives and trying them out.  I'll be sure to leave a comment once I get my act in gear.

Edit:  I have noticed that when I use the bi-flanges that I need to use a large sized one in my right ear and a medium sized one in the left ear.  The large foams seem to work just as well in both ears however.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2,290 of 2,359

Quote:
I have the SA6 which do seem to isolate more.  I seem to be getting better isolation with the M5s now.  Sometimes I worry they're going way too far into the canal and that I'm doing damage to my ear drums.  I plan on buying the Shure olives and trying them out.  I'll be sure to leave a comment once I get my act in gear.

Here's my thoughts on the Olives, and for that matter, a bunch of other tips:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536912/review-future-sonics-atrios-comparison-between-different-tips

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #2,291 of 2,359

Quote:
Yeah - they are quite nice, ay?
biggrin.gif
I'm curious on what your experience is with the tips. I find I get a great seal and terrific sound with the bi-flanges but not always consistent. Sometimes it can be a matter of just moving my head. The foamies are terrific but I'm not a big fan of foamies since you really can't clean them and they make insertion a bit of a chore. I'm seriously considering ponying up for their custom tips. Good price, relatively speaking.

Hi there, I use the Shure foam tips which can be washed.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #2,292 of 2,359

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison, visia. Now if someone could just compare them to Westone UM2/3, my life would be complete.
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems as if the Atrio m5's sound signature is closer to the Westone UM2 than the Shure E500. I expect the Westone UM2 to have the best cable design and the most comfort, but I still ponder about the sound. The Atrio m5's cable and comfort doesn't seem too bad in comparison, but if the UM2 really outshines the m5 in sound quality, then I might have to reconsider it.

Westone 2 and 3's cables suck. Comfort are equal to Shures 530's. Shure 535 are not as comfy cause of the extreme strong fat cables which I wanted cause all my earphones had cable issues cause I walk 2 hrs a day going to work and getting foor then walking home. My all around earphone would be Atrios but I really like the Shure 530  too. W3 are nice but seems not  too clear at times there become sensative to clearity and they really need well recorded tracks.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #2,294 of 2,359

Quote:
I use custom silicon ear mold tips with my Atrios and the isolation is tremendous.  Can't really hear the flight attendants at all :wink:   I found that I really needed to use some hearing aid lube to get them in correctly, though, and then they're still rather difficult to remove.  Even with the custom molds, however, I find the IEMs get uncomfortable after a few hours.  I've had this problem with every IEM headphone that I've tried, so I think it's my ear sensitivity more than anything else.

I ordered the SofterWear Sleeves for my Atrios and I hope I don't have the same problem.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2,295 of 2,359

Quote:
I'm really curious about these earphones. I have a pair of Westone UM2s right now and I'm wondering how these compare. My source is a 5G ipod with lineout and Go-Vibe V5s. I've always liked the UM2s, but I'm getting itchy to try something new. I listen to a wide variety of music and the UM2s handle most of it pretty well. It wouldn't hurt them to be a little more punchy in the bass though. How would the Atrios compare? Would it be a step down?

Hi there, I have the W2 and 3, UE 5EB, Shure 530,535 and the Atrios. Well If I could only have one earphone it would be the Atrios cause they can handle all kinds of music. If needed I canplay with the EQ to make them sound ideal for the style but I usually dont have to. Also I like bass and they have the most bass and it is very clear. Another reason they are sturdy and they fel into a glass of water and they still work. One note the most sturdiest as far as cables go are the new Shure 5353.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back