Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Aug 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #976 of 1,216
I haven't heard nearly as many as you have, but I just have no real desire to search for anything better. I smile every time I use these little guys...they are just a blast to listen with.

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #977 of 1,216
It's this damn website. Every time a new product comes out, things get hyped up and upgrade-itis kicks in. A couple weeks later, I'm selling another set of phones. No more. I'm saving all the wasted cash and Going with customs from Future Sonics. I was actually thinking about trying the FX700's but for the price I want something that I can use anywhere without having to worry about a fragile wood housing, having them fall out of my ears because of their weight, or lack of isolation. I think I paid $90 for my Atrios and they take a beating daily and keep going. When I do finally kill them, there is always a pair or two in the for sale forum.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #978 of 1,216
LOL! It really is hard not to get curious about a product when someone comes on here all excited about their new purchase. I've always been the sort of person to hang on to gear longer than most others in this hobby, but I admit that this site really makes it hard to maintain that standard. Like anyone else, I love getting new stuff, too....but when it all comes down to it, what matters most is the music (and movies, in my case)...and all I know is that my music sounds damn good with these Atrios.

I try to make it a point to mention how happy I am with gear that I've owned a while. Obviously there are tons of posts about people excited about their new stuff, but i try to put even more weight on the posts from people who have had something for a longer period of time and are still excited about it. That was one of the main reasons I purchased atrios to begin with. I came across a lot of people who had these same IEMs but before future sonics started using the MG7 driver...and they loved theirs...so that was a huge selling point with me. It's very tempting to always go with the latest and greatest, but products that can stand the test of time are REALLY where it's at in my opinion.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #979 of 1,216
Quote:
It's this damn website. Every time a new product comes out, things get hyped up and upgrade-itis kicks in. A couple weeks later, I'm selling another set of phones. No more. I'm saving all the wasted cash and Going with customs from Future Sonics. I was actually thinking about trying the FX700's but for the price I want something that I can use anywhere without having to worry about a fragile wood housing, having them fall out of my ears because of their weight, or lack of isolation. I think I paid $90 for my Atrios and they take a beating daily and keep going. When I do finally kill them, there is always a pair or two in the for sale forum.

I'm with you on all points, I've got to many IEM's that I don't even use and its not worth spending $400 on an IEM that might not even sound better than my current favorite IEM (the R-50).  I going for a custom or a what I like to call a C/UIEM (Custom Universal IEM) like the Fitear To Go 334, Heir Audio 4.Ai or ASG-2.  I was looking hard at the MG6 Pro but the UM Merlin look like the best of both world as its a hybrid and I love the detail of BA's and the bass of dynamics.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #980 of 1,216
Quote:

I'm with you on all points, I've got to many IEM's that I don't even use and its not worth spending $400 on an IEM that might not even sound better than my current favorite IEM (the R-50).  I going for a custom or a what I like to call a C/UIEM (Custom Universal IEM) like the Fitear To Go 334, Heir Audio 4.Ai or ASG-2.  I was looking hard at the MG6 Pro but the UM Merlin look like the best of both world as its a hybrid and I love the detail of BA's and the bass of dynamics.

I considered the Merlin, but with all the customer service nightmares and long shipping/wait times have swayed me towards an American company. I'm still looking at the AS-2, but I'm waiting to see what aesthetic options they come out with. I really just want solid black customs. Nothing flashy.  I'm sure as hell not going to pay $600 dollars for Black Rhodium plating on the faceplate. I'm also sensitive to treble so I tend to find most BA's harsh in the high end. That's mostly why I think I'll end up with Future Sonics. Their sound sig matches best with my preferences.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #981 of 1,216
Quote:
I considered the Merlin, but with all the customer service nightmares and long shipping/wait times have swayed me towards an American company. I'm still looking at the AS-2, but I'm waiting to see what aesthetic options they come out with. I really just want solid black customs. Nothing flashy.  I'm sure as hell not going to pay $600 dollars for Black Rhodium plating on the faceplate. I'm also sensitive to treble so I tend to find most BA's harsh in the high end. That's mostly why I think I'll end up with Future Sonics. Their sound sig matches best with my preferences.

Here's Adam Levine from Maroon 5 with his black MG6Pros:

and here's what a musician says about the MG6Pro compared to his Atrios:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/539898/review-future-sonics-mg6pro-ear-monitors-dynamic-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitors/915#post_8595852

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #982 of 1,216
^ I must have read every MG6 review 2 or 3 times already. I'm subscribed to the thread that link goes to. I also enjoyed reading your comparison to the Heir 8.a which was another I considered briefly. Thanks

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #983 of 1,216
made a chaoice to read this thread, that could lighten my wallet :)

I've never thought about buying an amplifier to use with my Atrio, but it seems that it's the way forward with big improvement in sound. I mainly use my Atrio with my iPhone 4 and sometimes my MacBook Air. Do you think that a Fiio E11 is the right purchase for me?

Does the FiiO just work on a rechargable battery? Is this battery easily replaceable?

How much use will a charge typically hold?

Is sound quality vastly improved?

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #984 of 1,216
Bought the Atrios MG7 and wasn't overly wowed to be honest. The bass goes low without distortion but it certainly isn't earth shattering bass. The clarity again, not something to fawn over. The build quality isn't that great either. The wire turned into VERY hard plastic after a couple of months and rubber protective "pads"  that cover the wire's entrance into the speakers, came off too.

Overall I bought into the hype and somewhat regret spending £115 on them. I wish I could've bought the Hippo VB instead but they've been discontinued.

The hunt for good bassy earphones continues!

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #985 of 1,216
Quote:

I've never thought about buying an amplifier to use with my Atrio, but it seems that it's the way forward with big improvement in sound. I mainly use my Atrio with my iPhone 4 and sometimes my MacBook Air. Do you think that a Fiio E11 is the right purchase for me?

Does the FiiO just work on a rechargable battery? Is this battery easily replaceable?

No it wont

it will make it more dynamic but not really you can stick with the E6 that will do but i got the e11 as i use other headphones when on the move its really handy as i can power alot of headphones

ít does really add power to the bass

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #986 of 1,216
Quote:

No it wont

it will make it more dynamic but not really i use the e11 as i use other headphones when on the move its really handy as i can power alot of headphones

ít does really add power to the bass and a wider soundtage but not such a big diffrnece

Quote:
Bought the Atrios MG7 and wasn't overly wowed to be honest. The bass goes low without distortion but it certainly isn't earth shattering bass. The clarity again, not something to fawn over. The build quality isn't that great either. The wire turned into VERY hard plastic after a couple of months and rubber protective "pads"  that cover the wire's entrance into the speakers, came off too.

Overall I bought into the hype and somewhat regret spending £115 on them. I wish I could've bought the Hippo VB instead but they've been discontinued.

The hunt for good bassy earphones continues!

i can only agree on the build quility, it is crap

but for sound no way i love these things but i guss its prefrence

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #988 of 1,216
That is the place where others have bought theirs.  Is the coupon code "costprog50%" still working?  If it is and you did not use it, perhaps you can still cancel your order and re-order them using that code.  It entitles you to a 50% discount on your total order.

A similar delay took place a few months ago for others that were waiting for theirs to arrive and the response to e-mails from the website was slow.  But, the response was good and the orders were delivered.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #990 of 1,216
Received mine earlier this week from a seller on head-fi, tried a bit of burn in but is it me or are the mids recessed? Even moreso than the TF10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back