Fully balanced rig v.s Intro Stats rig - which one?
Oct 12, 2008 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure if it fits the "hi-end" or not. If not, some mods please help me move it to the Heaphones section.

Well, I'm having trouble deciding between keeping discover the dynamic world or jumping into the stats wonder land.

I've sold all my singled-end stuffs (amps, cable) to fund for the new rig. The only cans I have in hands now is HD-650. I'm thinking about the fully balanced rig with the forth-coming Cambridge Audio MagicDAC and balanced M^3.

And then a headfier suggested me to think about stats. And now the drama begins. My budget for the stat headphones and amps is only about 1000$
frown.gif
Really can't strech more cos I'm still a freshman in college. Due to my little knowledge about stats, the only 2 rigs I've thought so far are Koss ESP 950 system and Stax SRM-1/MK2. They look to have to same price range. I can stretch a little more if needed.

Please keep in mind that I DO love my HD650 and don't find any flaw with it. Its warm, layered and bassy sounding is forever my favorite.

Now the question, do you think what's better for me? And why?

And if that'll be the stats, which one of those 2 rigs above is better for my favorite.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 57
I'm going down the same path: balanced dynamic with great amp vs 'stats. My conclusions so far: nothing beats high-end 'stats, but a great balanced dynamic HP with the right amp beats entry-level 'stats.

So balance your HD650s, perhaps the Zu (I like it), and get the right amp, which is in fact now being discussed in another thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/vot...-650-a-370607/

You've got double my # of posts, so I hate to give advice, but I have to say: why trade your love for the 650's for an unknown? Improve the 650's!

Source is more important than all this, yah, so how are you going to feed the DAC? Look at the Wadia dock for the iPod, which will get you a bit-for-bit perfect copy.

Assuming you don't find a tube amp you like better than the M^3, you are not going to beat:

Uncompressed rips > iPod > Wadia doc S/PDIF > Cambridge DAC balanced analog > Balanced M^3 > 650 with Zu

with any entry-level stat, even buying used (as I did) at least IMO for the music genres I have tried: classical, classic rock, pop, vocalists, rap, house/trance. I have not listened to jazz or folk (and only a little metal, or new/indie rock, just what my niece and nephew -- your age-- burn for me!).

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 57
i had an RSA Apache. i then purchased an O2/KGSS which i generally preferred over it. but then i acquired a B52 and now i use that almost exclusively. i suspect that if i got a hold of a BHSE, that would then be my new primary setup (maybe) or at minimum get equal time with my B52.

basically - stat or dynamic - nothing beats a high end tube-based amplifier.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 57
I believe you could find very usefull information in this old but impressive thread : top-notch-electrostat-vs-balanced-dynamic-headphone-systems

As for me, I completely agree with impressions described, and I would encourage you to go balance with your HD650, especially if your budget don't allow you to spend the necessary amount to build up a great stat's rig.

Regards,

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 57
I'm building a balance rig too, DacMagic > Mini^3 > HD650 and thought about moving to Stax later, but many said that sound quality of a good dynamic rig and stats rig are about the same although in different way, so that leaves me with high end stats which I can't afford if I want to upgrade.

So I just forget about stats and will probably some speakers later.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 57
Thanks for all the comments.
I still have until the end of the month to weight up. At that time the DacMagic will come out and I'll decide whether to keep my HD650 or sell it and jump to the stats.

I just wonder, what's the best-bang-for-the-buck stats combo (HPs+amp) under 1k$ ?

Like I said above, my favorite sound is warm, a little bit bassy. I don't like the cold sound like the K701.

Oct 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 57
Well unfortunately there are going to be a lot of Stax rigs that sound as cold as the AKGs (from the Senn perspective). So you want tubes. Although I haven't heard it, maybe the srm-T1/T1s amp with some Lambda Pros?

Best bang for buck though are going to be the srm-1/mkII with sr-Lambda Pros or an energizer if you already have a receiver or speaker amp to power. Both of which should be well under $1K.

I don't have any experience with new electrostatics, but one of the things to consider is if you go vintage Stax, is you can try and resell for likely the same price. Not like new gear.
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 57
based on the few comments I have read in your posting on this thread a balanced dynamic rig is going to be your best bet. I, like you, love the Senn sound... especially the balanced Senn sound. I had a top end stat and dynamic rig for some time and simply found myself always picking up the dynamic rig (HD600 with Gilmore Balanced Ref and O2 with Headamp KGSS). While the O2/KGSS is an excellent combo for me nothing beat the HD6xx/GBR combo... had the M3 been around at the time (PPA ages) I would absolutely have considered picking up a balanced version as the M3 is my favorite SS amp.

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 57
I say, start with what you already know you like, which in this case would be the HD650s. I think the ideal thing would be to have a good dynamic setup that you enjoy AND a good electrostatic setup you also enjoy. I have both setups and they do sound quite different but right now at least, I like my Stax better but that could always change next month
wink.gif
So go with a balanced HD650 for now and later down the line you can try Stax when you have the funds. There's really no rush.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 57
I really like my HD650 balanced. I have heard the 650 on many systems including most of the amps I have had in the past. I can't comment specifically between any one of them but here is my take: B52+650(balanced) > dac1+650(balanced < PPA/STEPS+650(SE)

My system consisting: SB3+Boulder PS => DAC1 => balanced 650 (cheap, great sounding and international-travel approved! (I have a 220v switching PS for SB3))
I do have the latest DAC1 revision so YMMV

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like that I'm leaning more and more towards the balanced rig.

One reason is I haven't heard any electrostat, so it's very difficult for me to imagine how it sounds.

it sounds like there is no headphone...like ghostly images....
popcorn.gif

actually more like listening to a pair of great mini-monitors in close range.

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 57
having owned both a top flight balanced amp and balanced 650s and a relatively middle of the road Stax rig ( lambda pro/srm1 mill pro). The Stax rig performed far above the used price of $600 and would be my pick for best sub $1000 rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back