Fully balanced rig v.s Intro Stats rig - which one?
Oct 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 57
You make me really really curious about Stax
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

just dew eet, a used lambda pro rig with a srm1mkll is a great gateway drug. Stax can perform at much higher levels than that set up but for $600-$700 nothing can touch it sound quality wise (imho)

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

So give one a try then...
o2smile.gif

An SRM-1/MK2 Pro paired with a SR-Lambda Pro are a really nice staring system, which can be had for noticeable less than $1000. Beating most dynamic rigs imo. Not heard a balanced HD650 though...

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just dew eet, a used lambda pro rig with a srm1mkll is a great gateway drug. Stax can perform at much higher levels than that set up but for $600-$700 nothing can touch it sound quality wise (imho)

JP#: How do you find the sound sig. of AD2000 compare to stats?? If the sound sig. of AD2000 is an indication of stats, I can completely forget about stats.

Thanks

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JP#: How do you find the sound sig. of AD2000 compare to stats?? If the sound sig. of AD2000 is an indication of stats, I can completely forget about stats.

Thanks

they are completely different animals, I love both but they are different. The AD2000s are extremely amp dependent in my experience. They were so so out of a soundquest sq-84 but great out of my HD2 or the integrated Berendsen amp I have.

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #22 of 57
maybe someone can do a comparison between the $1k balanced HD650 rig vs $1k electro....should be an very interesting comparison

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #23 of 57
even used I do not think you can put together a $1000 headphone and amp combo. Assuming a used price of $350 to $450, depending on cable choice it only leaves $550-650 for a balanced amp. That leaves slim to no real choices.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

they are completely different animals, I love both but they are different. The AD2000s are extremely amp dependent in my experience. They were so so out of a soundquest sq-84 but great out of my HD2 or the integrated Berendsen amp I have.

Good to know that they are completely different, I seriously don't like AD2000.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Good to know that they are completely different, I seriously don't like AD2000.

I didn't much care them the first half dozen listens, until I heard them out a ZD and reel-to-reel at a meet.
wink.gif

Honestly I doubt $1000 balanced HD650 rigs will beat the right $1000 single-ended HD650 rig, let alone an electrostatic. You usually have to go higher in price to off-set the bang-for-buck loss you get in duplicating parts across the chain. That's why I don't understand the near religious nature of 'balanced' discussions (admitting though Senns improve the most going balanced) around Head-Fi. It's similar to claiming high-res file support over the SQ of the DAC. Or USB jitter versus optical. There are higher priorities to tackle first, especially at lower budgets. I'd probably have to jump above the Extreme, MPX3 or Zana Deux before I'd start considering balance advantages over SE models. At least to the $1K amp-only cost range (B22, etc.).

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

even used I do not think you can put together a $1000 headphone and amp combo. Assuming a used price of $350 to $450, depending on cable choice it only leaves $550-650 for a balanced amp. That leaves slim to no real choices.

good point. I think Benchmark or Lavry is the cheapest way to experience balanced HD650.

so maybe we should do a cheapest balanced rig vs equivalently priced electro?

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe someone can do a comparison between the $1k balanced HD650 rig vs $1k electro....should be an very interesting comparison

I think it's difficult to build a $1k balanced rig. If I go balanced, it would cost me at least 1,4k$. That's the case with DIY cables, not commercial ones which may pump up the price.

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

No, my HD650 is worlds better, don't make me repurchased any headphones I sold.

I didn't think people stuck around Head-Fi for over a year without doing that at least once? How many times have I bought Senns?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #30 of 57
Heres another option:

I bought (used) Stax Lambda Pros, NuForce Icon (speaker amp/headphone amp/DAC) and SRD-7pro.

With this combo (I also have a Darkvoice 336i) I can enjoy my electrostatics on a competent system, and use the NuForce to Pre-amp my Darkvoice for Dynamics (but it can also power them alone quite well).

This way I was able to pick up an electrostatic system, that also adds SQ to my single ended system (w DAC/pre-amp/potential speaker additions?). I can enjoy both, and can move up the ladder either way if i choose.

It cost me about 700$ for the whole system (minus the darkvoice)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back