Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Jan 27, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #752 of 1,040
I have a question to all you guys (maybe it was asked already)  
I am planning to buy some Amp/Dac for the office.. Do you think Fulla is better than FIIO E10K OLYMPUS 2?

Try using the Search This Thread.
I found a lot of good information, most recently starting in post #576.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #753 of 1,040
I have a question to all you guys (maybe it was asked already)

I am planning to buy some Amp/Dac for the office.. Do you think Fulla is better than FIIO E10K OLYMPUS 2?

Try using the Search This Thread.
I found a lot of good information, most recently starting in post #576.

I'm going through the same decision process, looked at all the feedback so far, and have landed on the 'wait and see' side for the Fulla. Hopefully, the various build issues will be non-existent in several months.

Since we're setting up another listening station for a desktop computer in the next few weeks, we're trying to decide cheap (E10K) vs upgradeable (E07K). From our perspective, the E07K solves two needs:
1. A truly portable DAC/AMP (i.e. battery driven) with the E07K and...
2. An upgrade path with the E09K that gives us another amp at home capable of driving higher-impedance headphones.

Even though the sound quality may be a tad worse, we'll likely follow the E07K & E09K path because the portability is something you don't get with the Fulla and there are really no build/quality issues reported for this combo that I've seen.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #754 of 1,040
I'm going through the same decision process, looked at all the feedback so far, and have landed on the 'wait and see' side for the Fulla. Hopefully, the various build issues will be non-existent in several months.

Since we're setting up another listening station for a desktop computer in the next few weeks, we're trying to decide cheap (E10K) vs upgradeable (E07K). From our perspective, the E07K solves two needs:
1. A truly portable DAC/AMP (i.e. battery driven) with the E07K and...
2. An upgrade path with the E09K that gives us another amp at home capable of driving higher-impedance headphones.

Even though the sound quality may be a tad worse, we'll likely follow the E07K & E09K path because the portability is something you don't get with the Fulla and there are really no build/quality issues reported for this combo that I've seen.

True, in the end it is only 20 euro extra. None of other options have possibility of upgrading.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #755 of 1,040
Has anyone had an opportunity to test the Fulla with high sensitivity IEMs (e.g., 117dB/40 ohms)? Under the FAQ portion of the Fulla product page, Schiit states that the Fulla is suitable for most IEMs, but I question how accurate that claim truly is. I have one on order that I was planning to use with my laptop on an upcoming trip, and I hope I didn't throw away $79. 

In hindsight, I wish I contacted Schiit before placing the order. They really should post some recommended specs so that prospective buyers will have some idea if their headphones/IEMs are suitable for this application. 

I'm guessing Schiit designed the Fulla to be a curiosity, impulse-purchase type of product... and dammit, they got me.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #756 of 1,040
I don't know if this answers your question, but the Fulla drives my Shure SE846s to the point that with the nob even at halfway it would probably cause substantial hearing loss.  The nob starts at a 10 o'clock position (0%) and ends at about 5 o'clock (100%) going clockwise.  12 o'clock is about the upper limit, and any further scares me.  I generally keep it somewhere between 11 and noon and that's fine.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #757 of 1,040
  I don't know if this answers your question, but the Fulla drives my Shure SE846s to the point that with the nob even at halfway it would probably cause substantial hearing loss.  The nob starts at a 10 o'clock position (0%) and ends at about 5 o'clock (100%) going clockwise.  12 o'clock is about the upper limit, and any further scares me.  I generally keep it somewhere between 11 and noon and that's fine.

I understand the earphones will require minimal amplification, but what I'm primarily concerned about is the noise floor. Did you experience any audible hiss, cracks, or static sounds instead of a completely black background? I'm particularly sensitive to this, and I was hoping I could further reduce the noise floor by bypassing the on-board DAC of the computer. If the amplification is too great, however, then it could have the opposite effect.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #758 of 1,040
I've tried them with MEE A151's ( 111db@27 ohms), and while I agree with Gnawbert that there is not a lot of usable volume range (about 12:00 as per his msg), there is enough to have some adjustment.  Directly out of my Dell Latitude 6420 I have much less range for adjustment, using the Foobar volume control.  I did not notice any hiss or sound quality issues. 

Search for the Hissbuster thread on here for details on how to attenuate the signal without causing too much damage to the SQ.  

I'm planning on building and testing a few of them. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #760 of 1,040
  I use my Fulla with my Sennheiser IE80's and cannot hear the noise floor, but I can hear the noise floor when I plug the IE80's directly into my MacBook Pro.

Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like I should be fine as I believe the IE80s are slightly more sensitive than the IEMs I intend to use. Out of curiosity, what year is your Macbook Pro? I have a new-ish one, and the onboard DAC is considerably better than previous versions.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #761 of 1,040
I have a mid 2014 15' rMBP. I've found the dac/amp built in to be better than I expected, but the noise floor on it was extremely distracting with my IE80's. The Fulla was a distinct improvement and powers my HD650's much better.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #762 of 1,040
  1. I'm going home
    And when I want to go home, I'm going mobile
    Well I'm gonna find a home on wheels, see how it feels,
    Goin' mobile
    Keep me moving

Anyway, awhile back I posted (post 720) that I ordered a Comfast USB "power amplifier" to trick my iPhone into working with my Fulla and it works like a charm! paired with the completely noiseless mophie battery pack, I can enjoy my Fulla completely disconnected from wall power!

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #765 of 1,040
I just received my Fulla today.  Plugged into my laptop, when I turn the Fulla volume to about 20% I start to hear some noise which gets louder as I turn the volume up.  This is similar noise to what I hear in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZTB8CDDgM&feature=youtu.be&list=UUlKEA3X9xfbh-DU_JemPhxw

Will the hifimediy usb isolator be compatible with the Fulla?  The isolator spec says it can give out 200 mA power...not sure what Fulla requires.

I am using Shure e4c iem.  I have tried the following already without success: running laptop off battery only, plugging in fulla in all 4 different laptop usb ports, trying longer usb cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back