Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Jan 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #721 of 1,040
  I think I found the solution to the "going mobile" problem!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281229007052
It's basically a 1 port USB hub. I'll update when they arrive (from China), but I think I should be able to trick my phone (iPhone 5S) into talking to the Fulla. 

/Battery or 5v power
The chain will be: iPhone---CCK---Comfast---Y cable---
                                                                                \Fulla

We, considering it's only ~10$, there's not much to loose, but with the shortage of information online about how it works, I'm more than a little suspect.  If there isn't another power source then the current draw (the real problem here) from the source USB port is still going to be the same. There is no way it can it can boost the current for the 5V line provided beyond what the originating USB port is willing to provide.  I think what it might be is a line driver or repeater that will boost(ie regenerate the bits) the data signal lines, for long cables, using the built in 5V power.   

If that is the case, then it will not help.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #722 of 1,040

We, considering it's only ~10$, there's not much to loose, but with the shortage of information online about how it works, I'm more than a little suspect.  If there isn't another power source then the current draw (the real problem here) from the source USB port is still going to be the same. There is no way it can it can boost the current for the 5V line provided beyond what the originating USB port is willing to provide.  I think what it might be is a line driver or repeater that will boost(ie regenerate the bits) the data signal lines, for long cables, using the built in 5V power.   

If that is the case, then it will not help.

I was thinking the same thing. It definitely can't amplify power; that's complete bull. However, I am hoping it can act like a 1 port USB hub. I should be able to set it up with a battery using a USB Y cable and get power that way. The phone should supply power only to the Comfast and the Fulla should pull power from the external 5v source. Since it's coming (IF it comes, you never know with these things) from China, I won't be able to experiment with it until the end of the month or so.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #723 of 1,040
looks like lighting to usb adapter is a must for this to work with IOS. Would a cheap one work of Ebay or need to get apple overpriced one?

Also, I'm getting computer current noise if i run power from pc at high volume, after reading a thread here i hacked up a powered usb Y cable from a battery and data from computer to get pitch clean signal (well slight humming buzz at full volume, not sure if its the battery or Fulla itself, but i would never listen to anything at this volume). Only problem with this solution is i must recharge the battery, any way to get a permanent clean power supply from the PC?

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #724 of 1,040
If memory serves, wasn't usb v.3 supposed to support higher wattage capability?

Would that open that door wide enough?

Just a thought.

JJ

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #725 of 1,040
  looks like lighting to usb adapter is a must for this to work with IOS. Would a cheap one work of Ebay or need to get apple overpriced one?

Also, I'm getting computer current noise if i run power from pc at high volume, after reading a thread here i hacked up a powered usb Y cable from a battery and data from computer to get pitch clean signal (well slight humming buzz at full volume, not sure if its the battery or Fulla itself, but i would never listen to anything at this volume). Only problem with this solution is i must recharge the battery, any way to get a permanent clean power supply from the PC?

I was under the impression that the hum would be from noise in the usb signal but if it is the power supply then you would need some sort of LPS to power the fulla.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #726 of 1,040
If memory serves, wasn't usb v.3 supposed to support higher wattage capability?

JJ

Yes, V3 should be able to provide up to 900mA, vs 500mA for V2, but it still depends on the vendor, and the device. Providing 500mA from a battery powered device will always be problematic, since it would drain most portable device batteries pretty quickly. At 900mA, it would drain it twice as fast. It's likely that only AC powered devices will ever be able to provide 900mA (or powered hubs).

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #728 of 1,040
Jan 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #730 of 1,040
Think of it like this. You don't know Diddly Schoit, I'm gonna Nocta Schiit Alchoo.

tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #731 of 1,040
Put in an order for a Fulla today, and having shipped out to Korea.  I'm very interested in this little device.  I owned a Fiio X5 briefly but sold it because I just couldn't get over how clunky the UI was.  Ever since then I've been craving something with a little more "oomph" for my music than the onboard sound on my PCs / Mac.  Hopefully the Fulla can do the trick.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #732 of 1,040
From what I remember about how the X5 sounded, the Fulla would sound slightly different. More balanced and more space/air.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #733 of 1,040
If anybody's been able to get their Fulla working with an iPhone and/or an iPad in a mobile configuration, I'd/we'd love to see a picture and a diagram. Helps me to understand what you did. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #734 of 1,040
Had the chance to try the Fulla with different headphones. Here are my quick impressions.

**Quick note before: The Fulla refused to work on any of the Z87X-UD3H USB ports (tried them all). Always the same identification error (device couldn't be identified). However, it worked on a keyboard's USB pass-through, which is weird since the keyboard doesn't use external power to power its port. The Fulla is the only USB device that caused problems on this computer. However, it worked flawlessly on 3 other computers.

DT880 600 ohms: It drives it and gets to loud levels near the end of the pot. Sound is clear and fast. Viable option. Not the best I've heard these headphones though.

HD650: Plenty of drive. Better results than with the DT880. Bass is well controlled, no confusion in the sound, mids are great as usual, really decent setup. However, compared to my desktop setup, I lost a bit of dimension (sense of space), focus and mid range magic. By mid range magic I mean the impression the voice are real, natural.

PFE 012 (Grey filters): No play on the pot on 100% digital volume, had to set it to 25% to get decent play (which is fine). There's noise past half the pot, quite a substantial amount, but none that I could hear at normal listening level.  Never heard those IEM on something else than my Nexus 4 or Ipod (yes sad I know), so I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. Instrument separation was very good and the sound was big and impactful. Now I want one for my laptop to travel around with!

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #735 of 1,040
My Fulla arrived today and I've spent the past eight or so hours listening to tunes from my Macbook Air and out through my Beyerdynamic T5Ps.  

I've always been impressed with the sound from the Macbook Air, but the Schiit Fulla gives it all a little more breathing room.  The bass definitely hits a little harder at lower volumes, especially on a lot of the electronic music I listen to.  There's space between sounds, and everything's a bit cleaner.  I can't say I've noticed a huge difference through my Shure SE215s, but I've only given them an hour or so of ear time.

I'm impressed with this little thing.  It has punch, it drives my phones to ear-bleeding levels, and there's a good boost in sonic quality.  Does it compete with the Fiio X5 I had (but hated)?  No, not totally.  But it does surprisingly well for a $79 device that dangles off my laptop.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back