Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Jan 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #736 of 1,040
I may have missed it on this thread or the Schiit website, but is the Fulla volume control smooth progression or is it detented steps?

Thanks,

crazychile

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #738 of 1,040
is it not recommended to pair the fulla with a iem or headphone that's already light and airy?  i'm inexperienced when it comes to amps, so shouldn't one aim for a balanced spectrum?  like, a treble focused headphone matched with a bass focused amp.  or is this completely false?

thanks for the help

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #739 of 1,040
I just got mine today, upgrading from a Xonar U3 to power self-modded T50RP's. So far there's more impact and less boom in the bass and I've already been surprised by details in some songs I know well that I hadn't noticed before - and that's just listening as background music! Also, the volume pot seems useable enough to me, preferable even to dedicated keyboard buttons that was stuck using with the U3.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #740 of 1,040
@germanturkey:

It is my opinion that sonic wise the goal should be to have everything in the chain as transparent as possible (Source, DAC, AMP) and the only coloration to be that which your headphone gives. Others will pick gear so as to favor whatever bias they have- no right or wrong really (but I exchange/replace equipment less frequently than headphones so makes most sense to keep all my gear neutral). However, rarely does a single piece of equipment do everything well so choices have to be made. Also certain amps will work better with certain types of head[hones due to efficiency, impedance, current etc. than others. Some have higher noise floors, Tube amps/dacs are different as then you are deliberately looking to give a 'pleasing' sound and are more preference based and biased by 'tube rolling'

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #742 of 1,040
  My Fulla arrived today and I've spent the past eight or so hours listening to tunes from my Macbook Air and out through my Beyerdynamic T5Ps.  

I've always been impressed with the sound from the Macbook Air, but the Schiit Fulla gives it all a little more breathing room.  The bass definitely hits a little harder at lower volumes, especially on a lot of the electronic music I listen to.  There's space between sounds, and everything's a bit cleaner.  I can't say I've noticed a huge difference through my Shure SE215s, but I've only given them an hour or so of ear time.

I'm impressed with this little thing.  It has punch, it drives my phones to ear-bleeding levels, and there's a good boost in sonic quality.  Does it compete with the Fiio X5 I had (but hated)?  No, not totally.  But it does surprisingly well for a $79 device that dangles off my laptop.  

I don't think you can expect that much for 79$. The meridian explorer, whilst 3.5 or whatever the price is in a completely different league. As it should be yes, but personally unless it was a stepping stone until payday I wouldn't bother with the fuller. The output of a MBA, is quite ok. I have upmost respect for Schiit Audio, they're a refreshing, quality no ******** brand offering very good bang for buck in the industry which is highly welcomed as far as i'm concerned. 

I'd like to see schiit produce something above the fuller, they certainly have the capacity to, and there's a market for it, IMO.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #743 of 1,040
 Impressive? With all due respect, he's obviously yet to hear them being driven properly. 

Can you post something more constructive 
blink.gif

I also found the Schiit Fulla to be impressive, although using HD650 headphones (not the HD800). I've had the headphones since 2003. But due to lack of understanding, or just plain ignorance, I've been driving them very unhappily with a HeadRoom Home - a $700 amp, which I bought shortly after buying the headphones. I've thrown lots of other electronics into the loop. But until I plugged in the Fulla, I personally found the sound from the headphones "confusing". I can tell that they're good headphones, but they were clearly not being driving correctly.

I plan to go to a local meet, as soon as I can, to listen to my phones plugged into other electronics. So for the newbies, and myself, I would love to hear specific comparisons. Not impressive when compared to what?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #744 of 1,040
  Can you post something more constructive 
blink.gif

I also found the Schiit Fulla to be impressive, although using HD650 headphones (not the HD800). I've had the headphones since 2003. But due to lack of understanding, or just plain ignorance, I've been driving them very unhappily with a HeadRoom Home - a $700 amp, which I bought shortly after buying the headphones. I've thrown lots of other electronics into the loop. But until I plugged in the Fulla, I personally found the sound from the headphones "confusing". I can tell that they're good headphones, but they were clearly not being driving correctly.

I plan to go to a local meet, as soon as I can, to listen to my phones plugged into other electronics. So for the newbies, and myself, I would love to hear specific comparisons. Not impressive when compared to what?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

My remark was in respect of a guy stating the fulla and the HD800 was a dream combo. The HD650 are completely different headphone despite being the same brand, as are the HD700. The HD650; I can only describe them as having a set of 3 inch thick curtains between the headphone and the ear. They are simply way too veiled for my liking. Fot some music I liked them, as it tamed things down nicley, but overall, they were a no for me, as such I sold them on some 3-4 months later. This is a common found trait with them. I'm not suggesting they're bad, I also cannot stand many traits of the beyer T1 FYI, too bright, IME. 

Years ago when I owned the HD650, I got frustrated as I just got get what I wanted out of them, I tried them with a benchmark DAC1, also MDAC. both highly regarded DACs and HPA in their own right. Given this (reverting back to my brief remark), how can one expect a $80 DAC and amp to give what a mid-high end and picky headphone such as the HD800 warrant. 

This as ever is subjective, I have not heard the fulla with HD800, doesn't seem a logical combo for me. I have heard HD800 with the Weiss 202 DAC which costs circa $8000. Also with Meridian's prime DAC and power supply, again exceeding costs of $5000. Also briefly with a friend's Woo Audio 7, which whilst had the drive, wasn't to my taste.

If the Fulla does justice to the HD800 then i'll soon be buying that combo. But you're talking bout the HD650, I was referring to the HD800.   

Apologies if I caused offence in any way. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #745 of 1,040
  My remark was in respect of a guy stating the fulla and the HD800 was a dream combo. The HD650 are completely different headphone despite being the same brand, as are the HD700. The HD650; I can only describe them as having a set of 3 inch thick curtains between the headphone and the ear. They are simply way too veiled for my liking. Fot some music I liked them, as it tamed things down nicley, but overall, they were a no for me, as such I sold them on some 3-4 months later. This is a common found trait with them. I'm not suggesting they're bad, I also cannot stand many traits of the beyer T1 FYI, too bright, IME. 

Years ago when I owned the HD650, I got frustrated as I just got get what I wanted out of them, I tried them with a benchmark DAC1, also MDAC. both highly regarded DACs and HPA in their own right. Given this (reverting back to my brief remark), how can one expect a $80 DAC and amp to give what a mid-high end and picky headphone such as the HD800 warrant. 

This as ever is subjective, I have not heard the fulla with HD800, doesn't seem a logical combo for me. I have heard HD800 with the Weiss 202 DAC which costs circa $8000. Also with Meridian's prime DAC and power supply, again exceeding costs of $5000. Also briefly with a friend's Woo Audio 7, which whilst had the drive, wasn't to my taste.

If the Fulla does justice to the HD800 then i'll soon be buying that combo. But you're talking bout the HD650, I was referring to the HD800.   

Apologies if I caused offence in any way. 

I'm guessing English isn't your first language? I'm glad you have heard the HD800 with incredibly expensive DACs, but for most of us common folk we have to settle for less expensive but still worthwhile options. Until you hear the HD800 with the Fulla (not the Fuller), then I don't think your opinion in this forum is very valid.

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #746 of 1,040

I'm guessing English isn't your first language? I'm glad you have heard the HD800 with incredibly expensive DACs, but for most of us common folk we have to settle for less expensive but still worthwhile options. Until you hear the HD800 with the Fulla (not the Fuller), then I don't think your opinion in this forum is very valid.

I agree, one needs to listen, it was a mere 'on the face of it' opinion.

What makes you suggest English isn't my first language, and please indicate the relevance here, and perhaps your need to guess so? 

Can you also quote where I stated they were my own DACs, they were merely instances were I was lucky enough to enjoy extensive listening periods with them,thus making them valid listen, IMO. At friend's houses to be precise. 

Perhaps you should perfuse my profile before arriving at numerous incorrect conclusions. 

My dad is a mechanic, in Hull where I was brought up. Does this make me upper class? Or someone who drinks from the fury cup? No, didn't think so. 

I didn't state the Fulla/HD800 combo is invalid. However, given respective prices, an analogy which springs to mind here; it's a bit like putting remould tyres onto a 911 turbo. That was more my point. Furthermore, didn't I say if it's a killer combo ill be one of the first to go out and buy the Fulla (thanks for correcting my spelling).  

Finally, do you find the HD800 a cheap headphone? I personally don't. mid to high-end IMO but a grand is a lot of money for us common folk, innit! 

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #747 of 1,040

To quote myself:

The above was simply applying some logic, something you perhaps lack or simply don't have. 

If a $79 DAC AND Amp is enough for headphones which cost circa 12 times the cost, kudos to Schiit Audio hey! I've been into music and audio since 15, now 32, not once have I ever come across such tripe of a statement. I'm a source first person kinda guy. **** in, **** out. The HD800, as stated all over the forums, warrants the absolute best of sources. Does the Fulla come under that category, I doubt it. 

I used to drive a pair of neat MF7 with a naim supernait (pre recession), thought it was the b*llocks until my dealer brought over a 282/supercap/250. then i realised what sufficient power was. since then my outlook has changed. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #748 of 1,040
  Impressive? With all due respect, he's obviously yet to hear them being driven properly. 

It seems like the fact he had a positive subjective impression, like being impressed by the sound quality from a "cheap" product, irritates you. It's all about that subjective impression. If this guy doesn't need more than a 79$ dongle to enjoy his HD800, so be it.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #749 of 1,040
Well Schiity news, my Fulla's volume knob is broken, around 12:00/13:00 it makes scratching sounds and pops. Got in contact with Sonority Audio ( Official Importer in the Netherlands ) and they will ship me a new one.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #750 of 1,040
  It seems like the fact he had a positive subjective impression, like being impressed by the sound quality from a "cheap" product, irritates you. It's all about that subjective impression. If this guy doesn't need more than a 79$ dongle to enjoy his HD800, so be it.

Why would I be irritated, i'm going to look into the claim and listen to the combo as it could save me quite a lot of money. IF it does push the HD800 as they ought to be. 

I've just bought a "cheap" schiit wryd for my meridian explorer DAC. the gain, for £100 is huge, and most dramatic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back