Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Jan 5, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #661 of 1,040
  Um, maybe I'm missing sumpt'n but if its plugged into a usb port from a phone, or tablet etc., that IS where it draws it's power from.

JJ

Apparently phones and tablets don't have enough juice to run it. Pc's and/or powered usb hubs work but not phones or tablets with maybe an expception or two

From the Schiit site
iPhones: you'll need iOS 7 or 8, the magic overpriced Apple cable and a power source (hub or battery, or, for full LOLs, Wyrd.) This is covered in the Guides/Getting Connected section of the site, with links to cables, hubs, etc.

Android: you'll need Android 4 or 5, software for 4, and a power source. As above, this is covered in the Guides/Getting Connected section of the site.

so separate power is needed

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #662 of 1,040

Most phones/tablets don't provide enough power through USB.

Yep.

I still kinda expected it to work with my Note 4 without an external power source, as the high-end Galaxy phones output more charge than other phones (I can run a 2TB portable drive without external power via USB OTG, for example, which most other phones I have tried cannot do), however even there (alas!) it is a no go. Presumably there are some tablets that will be able to manage it. I also tried with a powered hub and it does work there, as Schiit state. Not much good for a portable use-case however.

Shame, I guess I will stick with Dragonfly 1.2 for my mobile DAC/amp needs for now.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #663 of 1,040
Received my Fulla in the Mail today Ordered Thursday night and arrived monday morning... In Australia! Pretty damn good i reckon, over the new year period too.

Using a 15" retina macbook pro with VOX, which was ok on it's own, but the Fulla has transformed my Q701's. Very happy with the product.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #664 of 1,040
Jan 5, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #665 of 1,040
I use the Fulla with the iPhone 5S with a powered hub. It's possible to trick the iPhone into letting the Fulla run without the hub being plugged in.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #667 of 1,040

Would you mind cluing the rest of us in? I would like to know how to trick my iPhone into letting the Fulla run without extra power.

While it intermittently cuts out, I have had some success plugging in Apple Lightning Camera Kit directly to the phone while everything else in the chain is plugged in. For instance, plugging in just the Apple cable, then the USB will give the "insufficient power" message. So prior to connecting to the iPhone, connect the headphone 3.5mm cable, to the Fulla, the Fulla to the hub, the hub to the Apple cable, then plug it in. If it stops, just unplug it, and plug it back in. Worked for me.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #668 of 1,040
I was just listening to mine on my Note 3 after trying the multiple plug in disconnect thing and it worked (this is without a hub). 
But I just tried it again to see if it was the way I plugged it in and it is not working now.  I have tried different connection procedures and still cant get it working again.  This is all without a hub just the OTG cable.

Seems like is right on the edge of too much power draw.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #669 of 1,040
did the fulla get warm?

If so wait until it cools down completely and then try it.

If it's "right on the edge" then the fulla should pull less current when not warmed up.

Worth a shot…

Unless of course it drained the battery in your phone enough… 
popcorn.gif

JJ

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #671 of 1,040
I just tried to connect my Fulla to my iPhone 6 with the camera connection kit and an Anker 13000 mAh battery using a pigtail mini USB cable, but I was unable to get the iPhone to play sound. What is the procedure to get sound out of the Fulla?

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #672 of 1,040
for iphone you need a hub for iphone to think that device takes less voltage and amp. cause if you connect to iphone with otg without your iphone takes info from the dac how much voltage and amp it needs, and with hub you bypass that and it takes info from the hub. but it will drain the battery in iphone if you don't plug in extra battery to powered hub to power the dac. works with every dac this way. but you need ios7 or ios8 for it to work.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #673 of 1,040
  did the fulla get warm?

If so wait until it cools down completely and then try it.

If it's "right on the edge" then the fulla should pull less current when not warmed up.

Worth a shot…

Unless of course it drained the battery in your phone enough… 
popcorn.gif

JJ

Nope, not warm and it did not drain the phone (heh, had an image of the Fulla as a vampire just then).  I think it is a start up issue, it worked well when I did get it to recognize it...

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #674 of 1,040
Ok then, shoot all of my pet theories full of holes then…
atsmile.gif

JJ :thumb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back