Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Jan 3, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #646 of 1,040
  I have spent some time listening with Beyerdynamic T90, HiFiMan HE-500 and NAD HP50 headphones. The Fulla can drive them all to excruciating sound levels to my ears, though the HE-500 won't go as absurdly loud as the T90 and HP50. It appears to top out the Fulla at 105 dB SPL. Still clean sounding but VERY LOUD.

A Fulla, NAD HP50 and a netbook running JRiver would make a very good combination for a high quality, portable sound system. Portable, not mobile. 

-AB

That is so awesome!  You wouldn't by any chance have taken similar measurements of the FiiO E10K?  It would be cool to compare.

Allen

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #648 of 1,040

First question asked was if I live near a radio tower. I did a little research and what do you know, I'm about a mile from a 13,500 watt transmitter broadcasting WCSX (the one I can make out in the right channel) along with four other stations. 
I'll run the Fulla with the K7XX at work on Monday and see if getting away from that tower eliminates the problem.

Proximity is the most likely case. But, I've also heard interference coming from a poorly shielded IF (intermediate frequency) section of a nearby FM tuner. Do you have WCSX tuned elsewhere in the house?

Bob Cordell had to wave a few hands about this 'enhanced' zobel in his Super Gainclone circuit, but maybe the modest reduction of RF ingress is worth it.

...and also... could be the proponents of jfet inputs aren't excessive about this practical issue.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #649 of 1,040
Thanks for all the comments and measurements.. very helpful.
My Fulla was shipped on 12/5 but I just got around to installing it today. Everything went perfect onto a Samsung i3 Windows 7 Laptop. I tried16/44 and 24 bit at 44/88/96 and everything was OK.
I am very satisfied with the purchase (little surprised by the sharp edges though)..... now need get some more serous headphones...

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #650 of 1,040
  Proximity is the most likely case. But, I've also heard interference coming from a poorly shielded IF (intermediate frequency) section of a nearby FM tuner. Do you have WCSX tuned elsewhere in the house?

I have not listened to FM in ages, other than for my alarm clock. All of the FM tuners in the house (several silver-era Pioneer receivers) are powered down/unplugged.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #651 of 1,040
"A Fulla, NAD HP50 and a netbook running JRiver would make a very good combination for a high quality, portable sound system. Portable, not mobile. "

I am so glad to hear someone else say that........  I used velcro to stick mine to my chromebook..... Love that NAD / fulla combo.   Nice to see it measures as good as it sounds.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #652 of 1,040
  "A Fulla, NAD HP50 and a netbook running JRiver would make a very good combination for a high quality, portable sound system. Portable, not mobile. "

I am so glad to hear someone else say that........  I used velcro to stick mine to my chromebook..... Love that NAD / fulla combo.   Nice to see it measures as good as it sounds.

It is almost ridiculous how such great sound quality can be achieved for not much money these days. $250 for the HP50, $80 for the Fulla, $50 for JRiver and $200~$300 on a Chromebook.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #653 of 1,040
shoot..I just ordered a Fulla yesterday without reading this thread. I just assumed Fulla would be fine like other schiit products. I just wanted something convenient for my Etymotic IEMs. I had no idea there were so many complaints.

Just out of curiosity, can we take a poll of how many satisfied Fulla owners versus problematic Fulla owners?

I hope mine turns out ok...

Fear not
Most new Fulla buyers are too busy enjoying their new toy to do any posting
This tiny thing is a joy to use
My Ultrasone, Sennnheiser and TDK in ears all sound much improved with the Fulla
Even though my motherboard has a good quality audio chip the little Fulla surpasses it easily
As 'AtomicBob' said in his excellent review, they do get warm, I'm in the sub-tropics, it's the middle of summer, my Fulla gets HOT but still works perfectly

When reading the problems some have just remember that this is a very small financial investment !

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #654 of 1,040
Gee that setup looks very familiar… 
atsmile.gif

It's good to see 'solid' test results such as this.  :thumb

And isn't interesting how the DUT almost gets lost while in proximity to the test setup?

Don't stop now…  :thumb

JJ

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #656 of 1,040
yeah it's mighty tiny.

It's rather deceptive how small it truly is.

Good things in small packages sorta thing…

JJ 

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #657 of 1,040
Damn I really wanted one of these - price and form factor is perfect (and apparently value) but I need it to be powered by phone or tablet or recharge battery which it just doesn't do and that is such a shame. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #658 of 1,040
Anybody driving Grados with the little Schiit? Results?

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #659 of 1,040
Um, maybe I'm missing sumpt'n but if its plugged into a usb port from a phone, or tablet etc., that IS where it draws it's power from.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back