Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #256 of 1,040
Same here...will order in 3 to 6 months.

Depends on your definition of great. To me, this kind of direct communication and quick, decisive action regarding issues during a new product rollout is unusual and a great way to build customer confidence in the brand.

If I'm not mistaken, they have a consistent track record of 'making things right' for their customers. This is a rare thing with firms -- even when they have high margins; really unusual when margins are low. This unique combination of high-value products plus the commitment to first rate customer service is what attracted me to the brand and will keep me buying their products as I move through the mid-tier to high-end headphone systems in the next 2-3 years.

It is great that they stand behind their products, but all companies need to under duress of payment. Ie credit card refund.

This is just my opinion when you buy products is all. Proper quality control prevents this. Maybe $10.00 more to cover the tech to test this? To which Id happily pay.

If this sort of thing doesnt bother you then great, but it does me. Even if its just $79.00.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #257 of 1,040
It is great that they stand behind their products, but all companies need to under duress of payment. Ie credit card refund.

This is just my opinion when you buy products is all. Proper quality control prevents this. Maybe $10.00 more to cover the tech to test this? To which Id happily pay.

If this sort of thing doesnt bother you then great, but it does me. Even if its just $79.00.

Can't agree more...all companies should stand by their products and services but the sad fact is that many don't. If they did, then there wouldn't be a need for the BBB, etc.

While releasing products with zero defects is a noble goal, there are always tradeoffs along the way in the product design, development, and delivery -- especially for low price/low margin products.

Having served as a Product Manager, my experience has been that most customers have minimal insight into the discussions/decisions that take place to 'optimize' how a company delivers a product to market. Obviously, we aren't sitting in those meetings at Schiit, so we really can't know how/why this came about. Given their small size, it could be as simple as 'someone on the Assembly/QC team was having a bad month'. Or, it could have been a conscious decision to not have the same QC checks in place that their higher priced products have in order to hit the $79 price point...or both.

Based on what I've read about Schiit's philosophy/hiring practices/customer service, multiple user reviews, and my product experiences so far, I believe I'll continue to be well served by them. If the 'data' shows otherwise over time, I'll vote with my dollars elsewhere.

Lastly, early adopters typically fight these battles for the rest of us (thankfully) and it's why "wait[ing] awhile to order things after they came out" as Gr33nL34f said is such a sound strategy -- assuming you can live without the product for a few months while the manufacturer works these initial kinks out. By using this purchasing strategy, I save myself a lot of hassles/time; usually a few $$ as well via discounts (though not in Schiit's case). So, for my money, I'll take the $79 price and thank those early adopters for my week's worth of Starbucks and the time they saved me! :wink:

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #258 of 1,040

You have pretty high, and in my opinion, unrealistic, expectations for companies to meet.

I don't know of a single company out there that never makes mistakes when it comes to initial productions runs on their products, even with extensive QC. Invariable, something happens, somewhere, and a product ships with some sort of defect. In some cases, they might be lucky, and it might be fixable with a firmware/software update. Other times, it takes physical replacement.

Admittedly I own a lot of Schiit gear, and will probably be buying more, so I am a bit biased, but the company has always treated me well, responded quickly, and never given me anything to complain about. Any time a company has offered to make things right at zero cost and little effort to myself, I consider that behavior more of a plus than the initial situation being a minus - because humans make mistakes, and every company is ran by humans. 

The idea that you are never allowed to slip up or make a mistake no matter what you do to correct it without it damaging your reputation is terrifying, if, I guess, unavoidable

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #260 of 1,040
  You have pretty high, and in my opinion, unrealistic, expectations for companies to meet.

I don't know of a single company out there that never makes mistakes when it comes to initial productions runs on their products, even with extensive QC. Invariable, something happens, somewhere, and a product ships with some sort of defect. In some cases, they might be lucky, and it might be fixable with a firmware/software update. Other times, it takes physical replacement.

Admittedly I own a lot of Schiit gear, and will probably be buying more, so I am a bit biased, but the company has always treated me well, responded quickly, and never given me anything to complain about. Any time a company has offered to make things right at zero cost and little effort to myself, I consider that behavior more of a plus than the initial situation being a minus - because humans make mistakes, and every company is ran by humans. 

The idea that you are never allowed to slip up or make a mistake no matter what you do to correct it without it damaging your reputation is terrifying, if, I guess, unavoidable

As I said this is my opinion. I'm not here to trash Schiit. Just stating my expectations. Them being unrealistic is your opinion. 

One of my early careers was being a mechanic. Your life is my responsibility. This isn't a car, but should give you an understanding on why I feel this way. I'm not allowed to make a mistake or be sick on lug nut day.

Current career - Project Manager. Directly oversaw over 3 million in project plans & installations this last year alone. The 100k install vs the 1k install received the same attention. Sure, vendors made mistakes, but none on our end. Again, there were none. I strive for absolute perfection. That doesn't mean that there wont be and that there can't be. 

So yes, I have high expectations. I often tear apart projects and see what could have been done better, while price point being an understanding of why things are often not done. See the bike as my avatar. Aprilia Factory, was torn apart like Johnny Five in short circuit did to the trans am. I lusted for that machine years before its release. I replaced maybe 10 parts for improvement. Maybe one was necessary, others were for preference. That to me was perfection. Sure, its a $20k motorcycle, but that  $.05 bolt got the same attention as the $2000.00 rim.

I'm not sure if it costs $X more to ensure perfection, but I'm one that would pay it. There is a possibility that the one that arrives does not have any problems at all. Yes I'm happy that the company stands behind the product, but almost every company does so these days because the consumer can with 100% certainty get a refund if purchased with a credit card by doing a chargeback. 

I had an  Iphone4 and it was returned because I was holding it wrong. For that price, it was a ludicrous oversight. 

This is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if its Schiit. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #261 of 1,040
  Is there any stamping or serial numbers on the Fulla's that were defective? Or is the diagnostic entirely up to the user?

Really hoping mine isn't defective... If so not a great first experience with Schiit.

Just received an e-mail from Schiit, so I assume they were able to determine which shipped units were defective

"Hello,

We have recently discovered an issue for the newly released Fulla.  Some Fullas received the wrong 48k oscillator, which garbles the 48k and 96k sample rates.  It has been determined that your recently shipped Fulla contains this incorrect piece. 

An attempt has been made to have FedEx turn your shipment around and return it back to us. Once we have the part situation settled, we will ship you a replacement Fulla.  This process may take a few days or so.  If you should decide you do not want a replacement, please let me know, and we will give you a full refund for the Fulla, plus its shipping costs.

Should the Fulla still be delivered, please let me know, since having the package recalled back to us through FedEx is not a 100% guaranteed process.  We will then work out a way to get the faulty Fulla back to us.  Thank you for your patience.

Laura Zeman
Schiit Audio
Customer Service"

Mines gone from 
BENSALEM TWP, PA
HEBRON, OH
WAYNESVILLE, MO
PANHANDLE, TX
FLAGSTAFF, AZ
PACOIMA, CA

Will see if they are able to get it rerouted back.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #262 of 1,040
I just got a package from Schiit today.
At first I thought they only sent me the SYS I ordered and this weird folded up cardboard spacer/scrap piece of packing material thing.
There were no markings on it at all and it is glued shut, looking down the folds I could not see anything in it. It did not really take up that much space so, I figured that has to be the Fulla.

And...here it is:

Have not hooked it up yet but will be trying it out on what I have here. note3, MX11, desktop (WIN764), and my Android Tablet.  We'll see how it does.
First though I will test it for the issue they said it might have.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #263 of 1,040
I've used Sonic Research Turbo Tuners since the beginning. They make the best handheld musical instrument tuner I've ever used. And I also use traditional strobe tuners. Very reasonably priced and made in USA. Their very first product was great. Every feature was well thought out and I've had no technical issues or wished it was better or more accurate. Roger is a brilliant engineer. An absolute perfectionist, I think. I own two and have recommended them to countless musicians.

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #264 of 1,040
  Hey guys,

A quick heads up: we have a part contamination problem in Fulla production, so we are temporarily halting orders. I expect we'll have it worked out by 12/10, as it is a simple problem.

What happened? Some Fullas have the wrong 48k oscillator. This causes the 48k and 96k sample rates to be garbled. If yours exhibits this problem, please contact laura@schiit.com, and she will have it swapped out for you at no cost as soon as we have sorted and qualified new production (most likely a few days), or provide you with a full refund, including shipping costs, if you'd like.

Apologies for the pain, just let us know if you have problems, and give us a few days to get it sorted.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder
Schiit Audio

Hm, I ordered the full last Friday, so I guess it will also be a part of the units that need to be corrected. If it isn't an issue would it be possible for you to use expedited shipping via USPS (heading home soon for the holidays and want to get the fulla some time this week). Although requesting it here instead of through your websites contact is a bit much. Sorry.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #265 of 1,040
  I've used Sonic Research Turbo Tuners since the beginning. They make the best handheld musical instrument tuner I've ever used. And I also use traditional strobe tuners. Very reasonably priced and made in USA. Their very first product was great. Every feature was well thought out and I've had no technical issues or wished it was better or more accurate. Roger is a brilliant engineer. An absolute perfectionist, I think. I own two and have recommended them to countless musicians.

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/

Wrong thread?  Spam?  Can't even tell.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #267 of 1,040

Just received an e-mail from Schiit, so I assume they were able to determine which shipped units were defective

"Hello,

We have recently discovered an issue for the newly released Fulla.  Some Fullas received the wrong 48k oscillator, which garbles the 48k and 96k sample rates.  It has been determined that your recently shipped Fulla contains this incorrect piece. 

An attempt has been made to have FedEx turn your shipment around and return it back to us. Once we have the part situation settled, we will ship you a replacement Fulla.  This process may take a few days or so.  If you should decide you do not want a replacement, please let me know, and we will give you a full refund for the Fulla, plus its shipping costs.

Should the Fulla still be delivered, please let me know, since having the package recalled back to us through FedEx is not a 100% guaranteed process.  We will then work out a way to get the faulty Fulla back to us.  Thank you for your patience.

Laura Zeman
Schiit Audio
Customer Service"

Mines gone from 
BENSALEM TWP, PA
HEBRON, OH
WAYNESVILLE, MO
PANHANDLE, TX
FLAGSTAFF, AZ
PACOIMA, CA

Will see if they are able to get it rerouted back.

I got this too!

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #268 of 1,040
I don't know of a single company out there that never makes mistakes when it comes to initial productions runs on their products, even with extensive QC.

Everyone makes mistakes, but Schiit does seem to have a pattern in terms of initial releases of products having a problem, whether it's the infamous Asgard thump, the Asgard 2 hum, or this.

I suspect they are as frustrated by this as anyone (fixing problems isn't cheap, and smug know-it-alls bringing it up for years afterward on forums is even less fun), and to their credit they have done an excellent job of fixing the problems -- but still and all, I don't think I'd rush out at this point to buy a new Schiit product right at its introduction, you know?

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #269 of 1,040
Just got mine, opened it up.  

This Schiit needs to be dehorned like mad.  Edges are seriously sharp on the metal that wraps around the body.

Requires too much power for the Iphone 6 Plus.  I know this was assumed and in the documentation, but some people (like myself) still have hopes and wanted first hand experience.

Does not power my HD650's.

In fact, it doesn't even power my NAD HP50's or anything else I have :p 

All I get is some kind of static.  It's like picking up a radio station through the braces I had as a kid.

Definitely a defective unit.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #270 of 1,040
  Case in point: Antennagate.

Really incomparable, given that Apple operates on a massive scale exponentially larger than Schiit Audio, so naturally margins for error will be much larger. However, in this situation, I am of the opinion that Schiit handled their mistakes and customer service smoothly, much better than most other audiophile companies are expected to.

Right now I'll hold back on buying the Fulla until they get this problem sorted, and reviews come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back