Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #271 of 1,040

Everyone makes mistakes, but Schiit does seem to have a pattern in terms of initial releases of products having a problem, whether it's the infamous Asgard thump, the Asgard 2 hum, or this.

I suspect they are as frustrated by this as anyone (fixing problems isn't cheap, and smug know-it-alls bringing it up for years afterward on forums is even less fun), and to their credit they have done an excellent job of fixing the problems -- but still and all, I don't think I'd rush out at this point to buy a new Schiit product right at its introduction, you know?

I have to address this misconception. The vast majority of our releases have been trouble-free. Asgard 2 and Fulla are the only recent examples in which we have been bitten.

Apologies for the glitch on the Fulla, but all will be made right.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #272 of 1,040
I think the most important thing here is that schiit has displayed transparency with customers that i don't think any other company has ever provided. You know you are dealing with honest people who will not try to shield you from the truth. For a company to be so proactive with a mix-up is what makes me want to buy their products. They did not stand by and do a "silent recall" or any other BS, they immediately addressed the issue and implemented a solution.  

I also think some people are reading the "story of schiit" and thinking that schiit makes quite a few mistakes and constantly has problems with products. These people probably don't realize how many mistakes are made at every other company during development and manufacturing.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #273 of 1,040
So, no go on the note 3, even with my powered usb hub. it plays music but there is a very loud hum...its a cheap little rocketfish powered of a cheap adjustable universal AC adapter. 

On the PC, both 48 and 96 are garbled with foobar and jriver in waspi event, plays fine in direct sound.
Android tablet app working so far with no powered hub. But does not like the 48 and 96 files.  does not play the 96 and the 48 is garbled.

I didn't notice the sharp edges until it was just pointed out.

Been using my PS500 so far for testing, sounds pretty good. When using direct sound.

Been listening for about fifteen minutes now and the little Schiit is warming up a little (heat not sound).  Nothing alarming, yet...other than the 48/96 issue.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #274 of 1,040
Quote:

I have to address this misconception. The vast majority of our releases have been trouble-free. Asgard 2 and Fulla are the only recent examples in which we have been bitten.

It seems that some customers have already been notified about their ordered units being defective, was there a range of s/n that were affected and all of those that received the units were notified? Or is there a chance that even if someone hasn't been notified there's a chance it has the incorrect part as well?

Maybe they were only notified because it was possible to reverse the shipment?

Obviously I'm hoping that my order is part of the fully functional Fullas, but since I live in Canada I'd be really bummed out if I had to ship it back before I leave for the states during the holiday break.

I'm really looking forward to testing these once my AKG K7XX order comes in :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #275 of 1,040
Just wanted to say that I received my Fulla today (ordered last Thursday) and it is not one of the defective units. It is a LOT smaller than I imagined (only 1.25"x2.5"x0.5") and I can say this little Schiit is powerful! Driving my HiFiMAN RE-400's, I can't turn the knob past 8:00 before reaching ear-bleeding levels. I can definitely say that it sounds better than the headphone jack in my iPhone 5s (connected to a cheap powered usb hub).

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #276 of 1,040
  I think the most important thing here is that schiit has displayed transparency with customers that i don't think any other company has ever provided. You know you are dealing with honest people who will not try to shield you from the truth. For a company to be so proactive with a mix-up is what makes me want to buy their products. They did not stand by and do a "silent recall" or any other BS, they immediately addressed the issue and implemented a solution.  

I also think some people are reading the "story of schiit" and thinking that schiit makes quite a few mistakes and constantly has problems with products. These people probably don't realize how many mistakes are made at every other company during development and manufacturing.

If you didnt subscribe to the forums. You wouldn't know. Sure its great they are informing a good core of their customers via forum, but that means customers have to search for it.

I have yet to receive an email, nor is it posted on their website. "Production glitch" could mean various things. Out of stock because they are awaiting parts?

Post the actual problem, inform the customers. That is what transparency is.

Opened mine up and it has horrible screeching feedback through the USB on laptop and both desktops. Going to try work laptop tomorrow and go from there.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #277 of 1,040
  If you didnt subscribe to the forums. You wouldn't know. Sure its great they are informing a good core of their customers via forum, but that means customers have to search for it.

I have yet to receive an email, nor is it posted on their website. "Production glitch" could mean various things. Out of stock because they are awaiting parts?

Opened mine up and it has horrible screeching feedback through the USB on laptop and both desktops. Going to try work laptop tomorrow and go from there.

I didn't order one so I didn't know if any emails were sent
But the fact that many people knew how to identify the problem before even receiving their unit says enough.

From 2 days ago in this thread:
  Hey guys,

A quick heads up: we have a part contamination problem in Fulla production, so we are temporarily halting orders. I expect we'll have it worked out by 12/10, as it is a simple problem.

What happened? Some Fullas have the wrong 48k oscillator. This causes the 48k and 96k sample rates to be garbled. If yours exhibits this problem, please contact laura@schiit.com, and she will have it swapped out for you at no cost as soon as we have sorted and qualified new production (most likely a few days), or provide you with a full refund, including shipping costs, if you'd like.

Apologies for the pain, just let us know if you have problems, and give us a few days to get it sorted.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder
Schiit Audio

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #278 of 1,040

If you read just slightly further down on the Fulla page, it clearly reads, "STATUS: Production glitch. Orders are temporarily suspended. We expect to re-open orders by 12/10." [Edit: I now see you must have read noticed. My bad. I have a bad case of the tired.]

Jason did say that some units were affected. Like anything else you buy, if it craps out, go through the proper channels to have it dealt with. Fortunately in this case, that won't be a lost cause, as they will replace it for you (no "your call is important to us..." crap.) You're suggesting that they're avoiding what must be a pain in the tuchus for all involved (they're not), or that they're somehow singling you because they didn't show up on your doorstep to let know that there could be an issue with your unit. That's just silliness.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #279 of 1,040

I didn't order one so I didn't know if any emails were sent
But the fact that many people knew how to identify the problem before even receiving their unit says enough.

From 2 days ago in this thread:

Were talking two different points.

They did post on the forum. I pointed that its great that a lot of their customers did get that data. I'm happy they got it fixed. I'm not denying that part.

You said transparency, while I disagreed. 

I actually have a fulla in my possession. I'm fairly certain mine is defective. (But I'm holding out hope and to do more testing) I have no emails and I referenced their website.

If you had a recall on a vehicle, how would you like it if they posted it only on a Toyota forum only? Sure they acknowledged the problem. But, what if they mailed you the information. Posted it on their website & emailed you. Thats accountability. Thats transparency.

This is ironic as I have an Avalon recall for a converter sitting in my mail today. Just saying they could do more. But, its their business to which it is their decision on how they want to run it. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #281 of 1,040
If you read just slightly further down on the Fulla page, it clearly reads, "STATUS: Production glitch. Orders are temporarily suspended. We expect to re-open orders by 12/10." [Edit: I now see you must have read noticed. My bad. I have a bad case of the tired.]

Jason did say that some units were affected. Like anything else you buy, if it craps out, go through the proper channels to have it dealt with. Fortunately in this case, that won't be a lost cause, as they will replace it for you (no "your call is important to us..." crap.) You're suggesting that they're avoiding what must be a pain in the tuchus for all involved (they're not), or that they're somehow singling you because they didn't show up on your doorstep to let know that there could be an issue with your unit. That's just silliness.

Quite the contrary. Never stated they are hiding. As I posted earlier. IMO more could have been done.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #282 of 1,040

Right?  Laura sent an email, saying they identified my unit as one containing the "defective" part (shows good trace-ability), She put an intercept for the unit in transit, then notified my, in case it slips through the intercept!

I would say that is a bit above "Right" and on the way to Perfect.

Keep up the good work and sorry for your "Murphy" attack

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #283 of 1,040
Well hooked up to my PC for couple of hours now and it is not getting any warmer (heat wise).  Still sound good.  Gonna switch to the HD800's in a bit to see how they do.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #284 of 1,040
@AKGunkie for sure!!! Transparency is my definition of an expert these days and one of the major factors when I buy something. Almost every vendor I have to deal with at work hides the truth and most companies these days know they can get away with it...  

@RSVRMAN can Schiit be better, sure we call can, but I find it really really hard to call out Schiit as from what I can tell they are the best in the audio industry and probably one of the best word wide.

I follow Jason here so I can learn about all audio, not to many people talking about how and why they design any product and the choices they have to make.  And not just audio products!!!

Jason or somebody from Schiit has answer all my dumb questions and comments and I don't even own any of their products. I can tell you that one day when one of their products fit my needs I will be there with credit card in hand, and if anybody I know asks me what they should buy my answer is....How much do you want to spend, screw it just look at Schiit.... 

Most of this comes down to trust, and I am going to trust Jason and team more than most anybody else selling me "stuff"   : ) 

C

PS, I kinda stopped buying most things because of companies lack of transparency, if their web site doesn't answer my question and I can't find an answer with an email or a google search I move on... Schiit is one of the very few companies that I want to give my money to....

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #285 of 1,040
So just got it working with the note3

Using a powered usb hub with a battery pack for the power.  Sounds pretty good.

also, I just got a reply from my email to Schiit, they will be sending me a new one when it is available, and a return label for the one I have.
Pretty quick response to my email, literally minutes...as a data point for your discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back