Full-Sized for Detail and Comfort Under $100?
Jul 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
I personally tried the AD700 and the A700. I thought the A700 was better. Not because of the sound. I thought they sounded similar. But I thought they were better simply because they were closed. They are a great value for the money. Open headphones are seriously a pain in the a-hole if there's noise. Also the A700 had better bass.

Oh I didn't notice that you said A700 earlier, thought it said AD700. Only thing about them is that I can't find them for under $100, cheapest I've found is like $105, and like I said I can't spend more than that since its just a gift card with a set amount of money.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
The majority of Head-fiers believe so. All the loyal hd555 members will tell you otherwise but you can't go wrong with the Majority. There's a ad700 vs hd555 poll that you may want to check out but last time I checked it was ad700 favored almost 4 times to 1.  

Can you link me to that poll? I've searched everything I could think of and didn't find it lol

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 26
we really need to distinguish between whether we are talking about the AD700s or the A700s. Were the A700s rated better against the HD555s? I would imagine so...

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 26
They sound pretty friggin similar.
Here's a thread to help you out if my experience isn't enough.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452064/audio-technica-ad700-vs-a700-unamped

Quote:
Everyone except Wind is saying AD700's

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:

I've always heard that Grado's aren't very comfortable, otherwise I would be interested.

I own a pair of SR225, AKG K601 and Senn HD595 and I've never understood why people find the grados uncomfy.  They weigh almost nothing and don't clamp hard on my head and with the TTVJ flat pads i forget that im wearing them.  I do find the bowl pads horribly uncomfy though so maybe that's it.
Out of those three the HD595 are the least comfy, i find that the cups and the headband annoy me so much that it distracts me from the music.  The K601 is much heavier than both of them but the earpads are like giant delicious pillows for your ears and the headband is barely noticable.
My flatmate has a pair of Senn HD580 which i've also compared to the above cans and they are also much comfier than the HD595.
So for me the comfiness order is:
SR225 > K601 > HD580 > HD595.

Sound quality-wise the SR225 and K601 are on par for me because the SR225 is gritty, in your face and just fun to listen to (cliched i know but it's true), and the K601 has such a luscious bassy sound and plenty of detail all round.  The HD580 is also pretty good but i find it's a bit too muffled for my preferences.  The HD595 has always disappointed me and I honestly like my HD202 more when you take price into consideration.

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #24 of 26
Well from what I can see, the AD and A are (subjectively) Identical. There may be subtle differences, but from what I can tell, the Bass is slightly better on the A and mid slightly lower. I listen mostly to Rock, Techno, Classical, and Metal, so I like bass more anyways.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 26
Koss Pro DJ100. They have the most detail out of any headphone under $100 that i've heard. The bass is also good, but not boomy like the M50s.
The closest I've seen to in terms of overall level of detail is the Sony MDR-V6 which I do not suggest.

For $100, the HD-555 isn't that good of a deal anymore. I'd pick the M50s over them any day.

Actually i'm stupid. I totally forgot about the ATH-AD700. Those get my pick for the #1 most detailed headphone under $100. The problem for me is the severe lack of bass and poor fit. I like they were just resting on my head and it felt like the earpads were covering my cheeks?! I don't suggest these headphones at all, even if you don't like a lot of bass. Overall, I felt that with music they were not as accurate as they could be. The DJ100 is probably at #2, but seems to have everything the AD700 is missing.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
I own a pair of SR225, AKG K601 and Senn HD595 and I've never understood why people find the grados uncomfy. 

You ought to read the holy war on the "To Grado or not to Grado" thread. A lot of flames, and some good insights along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back