Full-Sized Bass headphones??? HELP ME!!!!
Feb 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
i was thinking of getting in-ear but i thought my V-MODA vibe would do, and now im thinking of getting some full size headphones.

i only want bass, literally...well not really, but you get what i mean.

what im thinking of getting:

V-MODA CROSSFADE (250 buckshttp://www.v-moda.com/headphones/crossfade.aspx

Sony XB1000 (30975 yen = 350 bucks, but i think its only expensive in Japan because the XB700 is 150 bucks in Japan but i can get them for about 80 bucks off ebay because thats how much it costs in countries like Hong Kong in retail stores)

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-XB1000/ (use Google chrome, it will translate for ya)

Sony XB700 (about 80 buckshttp://www.sony.com.au/product/mdr-xb700

Audio Technica m50 (about 150 bucks)           http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/0edf909675b1be4d/index.html

Sony XB500 (About 60 bucks) Thanks RPGWiZaRD for the recommendation http://www.sony.com.au/product/mdr-xb500

any more recommendations?? pls tell me.

and btw, im very new to Head Fi, this is only my second post....

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 21
With regards to the V-Moda and the XB700: this review may be relevant to you.

(Personally, I'd go with none of them. I haven't heard glowing reviews of the M50's bass, and that review I linked should pretty give you a good idea of what the V-Moda and the XB700 are like. I dunno the XB1000 at all, so I can't say anything about it.)

-- Griffinhart

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #3 of 21

Quote:

(Personally, I'd go with none of them. I haven't heard glowing reviews of the M50's bass, and that review I linked should pretty give you a good idea of what the V-Moda and the XB700 are like. I dunno the XB1000 at all, so I can't say anything about it.)

-- Griffinhart

I might sound like the biggest ***** but your profile pic is REALLY scary, the more i look at it, the scarier it gets.....

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:

-- Griffinhart

Thanks for the link, the Crossfade's considered to be better than the XB700s to the reviewer and the reviewer also considered the Beats better than the V MODAs, 

but i dont think i'll ever get Beats headphones though, they are overpriced, they look UGLY AS HELL, and they are gonna break....

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 21
If you want BASS you can't beat XB500 in quantity at least, so take XB500 into concideration because it's even a bit bassier than XB700, I went from XB700 to XB500 and concidered it an upgrade but that'll depend a bit how you prefer it to sound like, XB500 is like more forward (in-your-face/powerful/engaging) and warm (smoother/slightly veiled highs and more up-front-mids) sounding and got significantly more punchy upper bass compared to XB700. Works very well when paired with a good EQ to sound great with also other genres besides bassheavy music, like suprisingly good for the price.

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:

I might sound like the biggest ***** but your profile pic is REALLY scary, the more i look at it, the scarier it gets.....

GOOD. >:3 (I can almost look exactly like my avatar. I just need contacts that turn my sclera black and also a whole lotta white facepaint.)

Quote:
Thanks for the link, the Crossfade's considered to be better than the XB700s to the reviewer and the reviewer also considered the Beats better than the V MODAs, 

but i dont think i'll ever get Beats headphones though, they are overpriced, they look UGLY AS HELL, and they are gonna break....

Actually, if you check the reviewer's final tally, the V-MODAs beat out the Beats by 1 point. Further, he (I assume male, could be female for all I know) did note that they have a lot of bass (which, I mean, if that's all you want...). Though yeah, his final conclusion of them does sound more negative than of the Beats.

Also, to further clarify what I said in my first post - if I could choose only from the headphones you listed, i'd go with the M50s. But that's because I've been wanting a pair of M50s for a while. I hear they're good at stuff other than bass, and I need a decent pair of cans that don't emphasize bass. (Plus, I like Audio-Technica's gear.)

-- Griffinhart

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 21
take a look at these Sharp HP400H, if you can find a pair, and have an amp willing to dish out power to them, they're near impossible to beat for bass response. 

theres a lot of similar bass heavy vintage phones from around 20-30 years ago, finding them is the hardest part i guess, and they are power hungry but no modern headphones can compare.
most are usually 2way headphones hence their need for power, but for what your wanting they could very well be what your looking for.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
take a look at these Sharp HP400H, if you can find a pair, and have an amp willing to dish out power to them, they're near impossible to beat for bass response. 

theres a lot of similar bass heavy vintage phones from around 20-30 years ago, finding them is the hardest part i guess, and they are power hungry but no modern headphones can compare.
most are usually 2way headphones hence their need for power, but for what your wanting they could very well be what your looking for.

Wow what is that. Why did they produce bass monsters back then? Hip hop and rap was hardly invented? Old recordings often lacking bass the reason?
appears :)

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 21
I guess these are from a time when american headphones were going for bigger is better, and it seems the japanese manufacturers followed suit.
there may be a better reason for that but either way it produced some pretty fun headphones. 
these for instance have two drivers in each earcup, a 40mm tweeter, comparable to most modern day headphones, and a 90mm subwoofer, which is pretty huge.
my sorround sound sub has a 160mm sub but these have two of them and they're glued to the side of your head. 
crazy.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 21
Deepest pure bass headphones - XB700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back