Full sized amps with low output impedance
Jun 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #16 of 43
Any other amps with near zero impedance?

I sold the e9 for the Arietta simply because they were roughly the same price, plus the crossfeed and low output impedance haha. The differences were not so big I couldn't recall much. The Arietta is a very clean amp I shall add, but its soundstage and warmth is what I want it to improve on.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:
Any other amps with near zero impedance?
I sold the e9 for the Arietta simply because they were roughly the same price, plus the crossfeed and low output impedance haha. The differences were not so big I couldn't recall much. The Arietta is a very clean amp I shall add, but its soundstage and warmth is what I want it to improve on.

the wire, DIY though, but i'll probably have a spare one soon

Quote:
V (open load) = 5.998 VRMS (measured with AP and a calibrated Agilent meter)
V (37.4 ohm load) = 5.996 VRMS (measured with AP and a calibrated Agilent meter)
I (open load) = 0A
I (37.4 ohm load) = 0.16018 ARMS (measured with a calibrated Agilent meter)

So we have 2mV of voltage delta and 0.16018A of current delta. This gives:

output impedance = dV/dI = 0.002V/0.16018 = 12.5 milliohms.

lol

so 0.0125 ohms

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:
That's because Beyer still believes in the IEC 120Ohm spec.  Its on purpose and from a time when cans were 600+ ohms.

I guess they are 20 years behind the times!
IMHO I don't see why anyone would sell a SS amp with that kind of O/P Z in 2012.

I have been told that they actually bundle that head amp with 250 ohm cans.  
confused.gif

Anyway, the A1 is not an amp I would buy.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 43
Fwir they actually designed and tuned their headphones to sound right out of a 120 ohm source, so the frequency response is actually compensated.

Diy amp? That would be great to list some good ones with low source impedance too! But i'm guessing all of them are like that...

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #20 of 43
Dynalo and M3 are fullsize DIY amps with good power, and output impedance specs (less than 1, for both). The Dynalo is also available commercially from Sheer Audio (and used, of course, from Head-Amp and others). 

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 43
There are actually a lot of good DIY headphone amps with low output impedance.  I was recomended a SOHA II on another forum for my Denons.  I might try building one after my Beta 22 build.  Of course not everyone can build a DIY amp, but they are available by finding someone who builds and sells them.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 43
Where do everyone get their parts, esp Jeremy where do you get your parts? My featured told me I can't steal them off uni labs, how disappointing

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #23 of 43
from all over the world mate and multiple suppliers, several direct from manufacturer as an OEM etc, almost nothing here unless i'm in desperate need of a specific part thats available here.

Let me know what you need and i'll include you in one of my next orders, we can share shipping.

I actually have a spare SE-SE the wire rework board; this has one error that needs patching; he sold off the PCBs cheap after all the others sold out, let me know if you are keen. Maybe its best if I solder up the board as its brought a few SMD noobs unstuck due to low clearance around pads and holes to the ground and power planes, but you could deal with the PSU and chassis work.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #24 of 43
Major job during this semester break is to perform the old Fitz Mod on my DV336... So I would need various capacitors etc. GREAT to confirm we have no fair local supply.

Trying to get the most out of my MSPro, they are lovely oh so lovely...

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #25 of 43
we have Element14 for regular components, nothing 'audiophile approved' but unless you are only making a really small order, the traditional Australian MASSIVE markup (200-300% and more vs OS) means its actually cheaper to import. one day this is really going to bite local sellers in the ass

I once discovered a part in my order that was nearly 1200% higher in price for the same part at digikey

glad you're digging the MSPro, they are actually one of the first grados that I think I could live with as one of my headphones, not all, but nice for a change; great for rocking out

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 43
Hi,

The Violectric V200 has an output impedance of 0.0625Ohms, so that's very low.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #27 of 43
Jun 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Price is very high!

As an alternative, there is the Lake People G-series of amps. Lake People being the parent company, with Violectric being their "audiophile" branch, the G-series is more studio oriented with basic enclosures and such. But the internal designs have a lot in common. 

The G103 has an output impedance of less than .1 Ohm, and sells for under $300 USD. The G109 has an output Z of less than .2 Ohm and should be roughly double the price of the G103. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #29 of 43
I just realized that headamp offerings have very low output impedance too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back