Full size vs iem vs custom
Sep 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Waiteyus

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I was hoping somebody which a bit of insight could give a basic list of pros and cons to the differences between the above.
I have recently started getting into higher end headphones, I have purchased used and sold a few pairs of full size headphones including beats studios (I know, but it was a start) m50's, and senheisser 650's.
The only iems I have owned are stock apple earbuds and some beats tours. These have obviously used for portable listening.
I am very interested in getting some customs for this purpose as well as home use, but not having any experience with this type of equipment I am wondering if there is a large or noticeable difference in the listening experience? Namely is there a difference in the "feel" each have. I know that statement is a big generalisation, but what I am trying to ask is does a full size headphone on average, have a larger soundstage for example than an iem, does a custom, on average have better instrument seperation than a full size can?
What would the pros and cons be?
The customs I am considering purchasing are the 1964 ears quads for reference.

Cheers

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi, I'll try to answer your in full later this day. For now, the 1964 ears company has some good gear. The V3 is usually rated the highest, and you don't want to get too much of a bass boost in customs imo. It's better to go neutral-ish with some warmth because this will work with more genres!

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Only used the Quad demo but i really liked them.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi, I'll try to answer your in full later this day. For now, the 1964 ears company has some good gear. The V3 is usually rated the highest, and you don't want to get too much of a bass boost in customs imo. It's better to go neutral-ish with some warmth because this will work with more genres!

The poster hasn't been on since 2012, how'd you even find this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back