Full-size suggestions (another one of these threads)
Aug 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Salamantis

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community!

What I'm looking for are some good full-size headphones, open or closed (I've never actually owned any *good* fullsizes so I'm actually not quite sure which would be the best for me). I'm looking to spend around 100$ ideally. I already have some excellent IEMs (Image X5s) so these are just for computer use at home. The thing is, I'm looking for good comfort too. I've read that the M50s are great but lots of people complain about comfort after using for a few hours (which is quite possibly how long I'd be using them for).

I listen to a wide variety of music, mainly lots of types of electronica and some rock. But mostly electronica (with some trance/dance/hardcore).

I live in Canada but am soon going to the US and I know that prices here are really bad compared to the US ones, so I'd love suggestions now so I am ready to order as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 8
Philips SHP9000 is almost the best that I can suggest to you. However, it's hard to get one in US, I don't know why they only have Philips SHP8900 in US, but you can get SHP9000 in EU and Asia. If you get one SHP9000, I would suggest you to run it for at least 500hrs, then you can enjoy the bass (at least, enough for me).

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, I live in Canada and it's already hard for me to get good headphones here, so I expect getting some from Europe would be even harder than the US.

A US/Canadian site is preferable because I'll time the shipment to exactly when I'll be in the US, so I can go there and pick them up while I'm there.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Something in the Sennheiser Line-up? I find them very comfy.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 8
how about a pair of HD-555 headphones from sennheiser? or if you are looking for something of the closed variety, the ATH- M50 from audio technica.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Are open headphones generally more comfortable? These would just be used in my room, so I don't really care about whether they're open or closed.
Sennheisers look comfortable and from what I've read are comfy, but loads of people are still recommending the M50s.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 8

Are open headphones generally more comfortable?

In general, open headphones can potentially let your ears ventilate better, so they may feel a little less hot in the summer. But, overall headphone comfort is based on a variety of factors, including:
  1. headphone weight
  2. headband clamping pressure
  3. headband padding material and thickness
  4. surface texture and breathability of earpad covering material
  5. earpad padding material and thickness
  6. volume (size) of the ear space inside the earpads, etc.

Some of the least comfortable headphones I've tried have been open, and some of the most comfortable have been closed.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for clearing that up. In that case maybe closed would be better because it offers more benefits than open (my music won't leak, so I can use them in more places). Although it still doesn't really matter.

I'm leaning towards the M50. I've heard great things about the Sennheiser line too, like the HD-555s. Any more solid recommendations for me?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back