Full size amp for Sony XB-1000 ?
May 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

meowis

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, im new to the audiophile scene. Bought a new pair of headphones recently (Sony XB-1000) for 2 major reasons:

1 - Comfortable as hell (even though you look like princess leia, but hey its for home use)
2 - Heavy and kickass bass

They gave me a portable amp that has many controls to tune the bass, i adjust it in such a way so that the subwoofer volume is more than the speaker volume. For me, i value the quality of the BASS more than the quality of the MUSIC.

But the dial and controls on this portable amp are too small and it uses batteries, i need a full size amp that has more or less the same BASS controls so i can achieve the " subwoofer volume is more than the speaker volume" effect. If anyone knows a good one, ill really appreaciate your recommendation ^^

Budget : 1200 USD (can go a little higher if needed)

May 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 15
I am using this with wonderful results.  There is power and there is power with control.  The Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear is power with full control and musical at the same time.  I like it so much, I bought TWO.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545225/lehmann-audio-black-cube-linear-headphones-amp-pictures

May 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm a fan of the FiiO E7 and E9 combo.

Picked it up for less than $200, it gives you both a portable and desktop amp with a DAC and it flat gets the job done.

http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e9-video-review/

May 5, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 15
WoW the E7 and E9 has great user controls as well. Going to test it out today, most probably buying them as well. Thanks for the recommendation, it's exactly what i needed!

May 5, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 15
A lot of people seems to go for the E7+E9 combo, would you still think it's worth only picking up E9 if you already good a soundcard you want to use?

May 5, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 15
From what i understand, without the E7, the E9 will lack the DAC feature. (not totally sure about this though)
But it will definitely lose out on the user controls like the 3 levels of bass boost and more, also it will lack the ability to detach and serve as a portable dac+amp unit. It will also lack the OLED display for adjustment of volume.

For me its a more complete package, you don't want an empty dock on that amp do you =P

May 5, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 15
A lot of people seems to go for the E7+E9 combo, would you still think it's worth only picking up E9 if you already good a soundcard you want to use?

The E9 is a great little amp and if you already have a good sound card you could try it without the E7, if you don't like it you can always add the E7 at a later date.

May 5, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 15
From what i understand, without the E7, the E9 will lack the DAC feature. (not totally sure about this though)

True.

The DAC on the E7 will bypass the sound card on your PC when connected via USB.

May 5, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 15
Then that is essential for me. I have 2 free PCI slots for my PC and a very good gold plated Auzen cinema soundcard, but one of the slots is faulty and the other has my wireless adapter for internet. I would rather get the E7 than buy a wireless USB adapter so that i can free up a slot for my Auzen soundcard. I'm on the way to get the E7 and E9 right now, due to their low price im not thinking it through =X

May 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 15
I have bought my Fiio E7 and E9 but im encountering a major issue. I've docked my E7 to my E9, and connected the E9 to my PC via USB. However, when its setup like this, the user controls on the E7 has no effect on the overall sound output (Volume and Bass Boost settings) When i use the E7 alone or in a different un-docked setup (PC - usb - E7 - line out - E9 - line out - headphones ) the volume change from both E7 and E9 has an effect, so does the bass boost. 

But when docked the E7 has no effect at all, whats wrong ? is this normal ?

May 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
I have bought my Fiio E7 and E9 but im encountering a major issue. I've docked my E7 to my E9, and connected the E9 to my PC via USB. However, when its setup like this, the user controls on the E7 has no effect on the overall sound output (Volume and Bass Boost settings) When i use the E7 alone or in a different un-docked setup (PC - usb - E7 - line out - E9 - line out - headphones ) the volume change from both E7 and E9 has an effect, so does the bass boost. 

But when docked the E7 has no effect at all, whats wrong ? is this normal ?

No need to worry, once the E7 is docked to the E9 it automatically locks all of its own features leaving just the DAC portion still active.

May 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
No need to worry, once the E7 is docked to the E9 it automatically locks all of its own features leaving just the DAC portion still active.

I think that's his worry though that he'd LIKE to use the other functionalities of the E7 together with E9's amp. :p

May 5, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
I think that's his worry though that he'd LIKE to use the other functionalities of the E7 together with E9's amp. :p

Good point.  Hmm, I guess he could connect the E7 and the E9 via the line in.  That way the E7 retains all of its functions, though you have factor of double amping, but I've read that it's not too bad.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #14 of 15
Very nice, I was thinking of doing the e11 alone for my portable set up, I've got the xb700[Mod'd] now with an E6. I want to upgrade my Source to Cowon c2  or Rockboxed iPod Class so I can can FLAC along with hopefully xb1000 and e11

Although I have a crummy PC setup atm, my sound card is garbage and I run all my Music through Serious Audio Sandbox 10.1 which helps alot but still isn't as good as my portable set-up

Ultimately though, a new pc is needed so I won't bother with my pc set up till then, for now I've got to stay portable ;3

May 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Good point.  Hmm, I guess he could connect the E7 and the E9 via the line in.  That way the E7 retains all of its functions, though you have factor of double amping, but I've read that it's not too bad.

In regards to this, you can try the E17, which apparently you can choose to use the bass boost functions even when docked to the e9. But that would mean returning the e7 and spending another 100 bucks for the e17 so.. up to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back