From Sennheiser HD 565 to HD 650 - A big difference?
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #16 of 17
I didn't own them but i heard the HD800 and the HD800S on multiple solid state setups from a midrange dap to a 4500€ dac/amp and found them to be worse than most of the headphones in their pricebracket and of course worse than the old senns.

What you notice immediately is this totally disjointed soundstage with holes everywhere. Music sound like some of those newspaper collages you made in arts.

They need tubes? Well every headphone that is said to sound good with tubes sounds atleast decent without tubes but the HD800 doesn't even do that.

There are people who build every part in their setup around it and this might work. But a stock HD800 on a normal solid state setups is one of the worst combinations i've ever heard.

When i see some of those hardcore sound scientists who show how they drive their HD800 from their iphone because on paper it has enough power to drive them i really wonder how they can enjoy that.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #17 of 17
My friend told me that HD580 strikes a great balance between HD600 and HD650...How do you guys think?
I own both the 580 and the 650. I've not yet heard the HD600, so I cannot comment on its sound. I'd say that the HD580 has more extended, but grainier treble than the 650's, which is smoother, a bit more rolled off. Overall the sound of the two are close; the HD650 definitely being sweeter and darker. Both cans don't come alive unless you can give them an amp that swings plenty of volts. I have my 580's paired with the original Schiit Valhalla tubed OTL amp on my downstairs system. The 650's reside upstairs; they are driven with a new Asgard 2. Very happy with the sound. As always, your tastes may be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back