Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Apr 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #751 of 867
Quote:
So far it only works well out of my Benchmark DAC1. On clip+ and rwak100 it is still not good.

The C4 is not neutral nor transparent in its sound but under the right synergy can but quite fun sounding and impressive.

UERM will arrive end of this month. UE on its own part sent an email after receiving my impression to inform me the latest date that my UERM will be sent out. That is excellent customer service IMO. No chasing or hunting down the supplier is needed but on the opposite they come out to engage you.

You say that there is a sweetspot for volume. What volume would this be equivalent to when using the clip+ (and is it rockboxed?); just as a comparison? :)

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #752 of 867
Nice.  Looking forward to your impressions of the UERM.  
Quote:
So far it only works well out of my Benchmark DAC1. On clip+ and rwak100 it is still not good.

The C4 is not neutral nor transparent in its sound but under the right synergy can but quite fun sounding and impressive.

UERM will arrive end of this month. UE on its own part sent an email after receiving my impression to inform me the latest date that my UERM will be sent out. That is excellent customer service IMO. No chasing or hunting down the supplier is needed but on the opposite they come out to engage you.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #753 of 867
Quote:
You say that there is a sweetspot for volume. What volume would this be equivalent to when using the clip+ (and is it rockboxed?); just as a comparison? :)

That trick somewhat didn't work on the Clip+. It gets too painful before I could hit that spot.

I am using rockboxed clip+ though.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #754 of 867
Quote:

That trick somewhat didn't work on the Clip+. It gets too painful before I could hit that spot.

How loudly are you listening to you clip+?

If it starts to hurt, that can't be a good sign. 
confused_face.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #760 of 867
Quote:
Does all rock boxed clip+ have the same volume meter? -45db on my clip+ is the volume that is much softer than normal conversational level between two people in real life.

How can you measure the loudness on a desktop? 

I don't have the Clip+. I listen via desktop/ipod so I don't really know if I'm listening loud or not.

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #761 of 867
Quote:
How can you measure the loudness on a desktop? 

I don't have the Clip+. I listen via desktop/ipod so I don't really know if I'm listening loud or not.

You can't, unless you get some special equipment to do it.

We are just comparing the volume meter on two similar device.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #762 of 867
Quote:
Does all rock boxed clip+ have the same volume meter? -45db on my clip+ is the volume that is much softer than normal conversational level between two people in real life.

I would imagine so, can't imagine volume not being a constant. I agree that -45dB is very soft.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #764 of 867
Quote:
The SQ though, is NOT neutral, nor transparent, nor analytical. They are perfectly serviceable CIEM's, but are definitely more 'headphones' than 'monitors'. 

Still, I'm disappointed that Frogbeats advertises the C4 as having 'balanced and neutral sound'. This is patently not true.

Exactly, though I am more disappointed with LFF's review than Frogbeats' advertisement. Now I know his taste and how he defines sound (particularly neutrality), I will surely take his words with a pinch of salt.

Was looking for a purely monitoring CIEM and I did chose C4 ahead of UERM based on the positive review by LFF as well as a few others. I ended up having to spend once more to get the UERM.

The C4 is for listening pleasure. It is very clean sounding because it doesn't let you hear many things which are actually present in the track. You simply can't use this as a tool for monitoring or mixing.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #765 of 867
@ChewingGum: Like I mentioned earlier, try giving a 100+ ohm resistor a shot... I found that it brings up the treble, flattens bass, and makes vocals less distant, more transparent, and all that jazz. I don't know if it will be the miracle solution that will address all of you issues with the C4, but heck it can't hurt considering it only costs like $10 - plus, I think it'd bring the C4's closer to your desired sound signature.

Anyways, uelover, you said that using a resistor is an audio 'sin'? The only difference between the ER4S and P is the 75ohm resistor. Likewise Lear has a 4-BA CIEM of which you can a purchase a 180ohm resistor. Which is to say that, again, that its worth looking into resistors bearing in mind their low cost.

Also what is 'neutral' to you? I feel like everyone has a different answer and I find myself getting confused as to what neutrality really is. For me its a sound signature that isn't dark, isn't bright, but somewhere in the middle. In any case, I'll pit the C4's against my ER4S which are coming in today. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back