Friends Think You're Crazy?
Aug 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #31 of 55
Some thinks i'm crazy. Like one friend who i told how much i paid at HF2 phones he just said "omg at that money i could buy new exhaust on my car" which i think it's crazy since for me car is just vehicle to move at place a to place b.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #33 of 55
Never, ever discuss prices with anyone not on Head-Fi. If someone presses you on it, tell them that you're a member of a message board and that you sold/traded with friends and that it wasn't that much. When asked about the HD-800 recently, I said that I sold a few things I wasn't using much and that they ended up costing me about $100. Which is the truth, but it's misleading enough not to get pulled into a discussion.

Also, it helps to give away budget-fi headphones to your friends and family as gifts. The SR-60 usually goes over well. After that, they "get" why you love your headphones so much.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never, ever discuss prices with anyone not on Head-Fi. If someone presses you on it, tell them that you're a member of a message board and that you sold/traded with friends and that it wasn't that much. When asked about the HD-800 recently, I said that I sold a few things I wasn't using much and that they ended up costing me about $100. Which is the truth, but it's misleading enough not to get pulled into a discussion.

Also, it helps to give away budget-fi headphones to your friends and family as gifts. The SR-60 usually goes over well. After that, they "get" why you love your headphones so much.

About the HD800 your problems start if he says, well maybe for a bit more of $100 I can get those HPs, he asks you model, searches for prices and falls of his chair. If you are lucky the hit from falling will make him forget, but it rarely happens
biggrin.gif

I try to avoid answering the question of "how much". I just say they weren't so much, and I would be using them for a very long time.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #39 of 55
Reality: You can spend way too much money on anything, whether its headphones, motorcycles, internet, whatever! All that matters (IS IT WORTH IT TO YOU?)

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First rule of headphones: never discuss prices. Vague answers like not as much as you think. I got these used, so I spent way less than new. Talking about how much you spent is often a tool for shocking the listener or bragging.

I agree, if a friend comes over and sees my expensive headphones I don't discuss the price. If they ask , I'll just give them a vague answer hinting that it's expensive but never really give a number.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #41 of 55
Most of my friends do think I am crazy, but since I do not have much money I cannot get half of the stuff you guys have. I can only do like 500 dollars at a time tops, my next purchase may be a K701 and a d2 boa or somthing. I do have like 2 friends who do compete with with and my purchases, but I am winning becuase I got some killer deals on ebay.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #42 of 55
to be safe, the bank statement arrives to my office, however, my wife simply doesn't ask anymore...
at my age most of my friends already have expensive hobbies, so they kind of understand, although we seldom discuss about it.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lahtis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some thinks i'm crazy. Like one friend who i told how much i paid at HF2 phones he just said "omg at that money i could buy new exhaust on my car" which i think it's crazy since for me car is just vehicle to move at place a to place b.

Like, those 3" exhaust pipes that does nothing but pollute the environment with unwanted loud, bassy noise?

I laugh at those who spend money on "modifications" that doesn't improve the performance of a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back