Friends Think You're Crazy?
Aug 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 55
I don't think spending a lot of money on anything needs justification. What you spend once or twice in your life will probably be less than they spend on the things they skimp on and have to replace every year.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 55
My family thinks I am crazy. I know I am becoming mental. Even so I have managed to scape some insanity present in this forums.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #20 of 55
I think my friends are crazy not to own a Sony X1060+IE8s and a good hifi; they missing hours of spiritual nourishment a day by not listening to fine sounding music
wink_face.gif

Seriously aren't almost all of us irrational with money on topic or the other, be it vacations, clothes, gadgets...

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 55
Yeah, all my friends and co-workers think I'm crazy for spending so much in headphones, media players and so on... although being wowed when I bring my toys to the office and let them have a listen. This is a hobby as any other (car modificacion, collecting rare things and so on). I wouldn't shell out hundreds for a rare coin, butterfly or stamps, but it's just because I'm not into that hobby.

As for listening to music with quality, it's the same. Most people just don't care about it. Listening to badly ripped 128 kbps MP3s on a crappy sounding source, through terrible buds is just fine for them, as long as it's cheap. As people have said already, it's all about priorities.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #24 of 55
You bastages are crazy.

Tubes alone will break the bank but when you get into power processing and the like, hold on to your wallet.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my first couple of purchases, they didn't quite understand. "$100 on headphone? They sound the same.."

It's not until they've heard of my HF-2s... Even my dad said "woah, nice!".

lol had to spend 4 times more for him to be impressed.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol had to spend 4 times more for him to be impressed.

Impress? I can't even get my brother to put on the K1000 or W5000.
angry_face.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #27 of 55
First rule of headphones: never discuss prices. Vague answers like not as much as you think. I got these used, so I spent way less than new. Talking about how much you spent is often a tool for shocking the listener or bragging.

People spend money on what they want to spend money on, and then become the barometer for what is and what isn't worth spending money on. One hypothetical example is the people who collect fountain pens that just sit around and never get used, and say how dumb and worthless it is to spend any money on headphones. If their motorcycle, handbag, shoe, watch, pen, rare book, whatever collection is where they spend their money, it is where you should spend your money, and anything else is stupid.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 55
Yep, I have a couple of friends who are in awe with anything Bose produces. I try to tell them that for the money they could do much better, but they think those tiny speakers are the best things since sliced bread... oh well. If I told them the amount of money that I'm able to spend on audio equipment, I would never hear the end of it.

I could never understand people who spend all their money on their car. Like those people who buy $1000 rims that are barely 1/4" thick... and then they wonder why they get damaged while driving over pot holes. The only time you'll see how 'good' they look is when the car is parked... so what's the point? Although I think it's dumb, I still respect their choice. If it makes you happy, then that's what counts.

But I do have friends who encourage me to spend money on audio equipment since they share the same interest. It sometimes is a bad thing since they never say when enough is enough... but the more toys the better!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back