Free Burn-in Files
May 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #46 of 89
  I think I found an alternative to just playing noise or sine waves to burn in those headphone things. For best results (for me), I'll just play orchestral tracks for extended periods of time. Those ones feature all the frequencies and details, and if recorded and mixed well, provide perfect burn-in material.

That is actually what I have been doing to be honest, I was going to be using the London Philharmonic Orchestra, which is a great orchestra group that covers a lot of classic songs and bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but then also video game music like Elder scrolls etc. I actually say check them out because they have a lot of unique music and noise. I do not know how well it will help the burn in process, but I will let every one know if I see a difference. Getting the new phones tomorrow noon time.

May 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #47 of 89
  That is actually what I have been doing to be honest, I was going to be using the London Philharmonic Orchestra, which is a great orchestra group that covers a lot of classic songs and bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but then also video game music like Elder scrolls etc. I actually say check them out because they have a lot of unique music and noise. I do not know how well it will help the burn in process, but I will let every one know if I see a difference. Getting the new phones tomorrow noon time.

Well, my pair of K240S is finally burned in. How do I know? After three weeks of active listening to just above everything, they sound better than the samples from Sonic Sense Pro Audio. And I know you cannot make a pair of $100 headphones sound like something for $200.

I am still somewhat annoyed at how the upper mids and highs are a little underpowered. AKG should look into this when they make Mk III or smth.

May 2, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #48 of 89
I would love to see a true double-blind study on headphones. Three headphones. One is burned in, one is not, and the third has a 50/50 probability of being one or the other. See how many people can correctly match the two that have the same status, with bonus points if they can tell whether it's burned in or not. 

May 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #49 of 89
  I would love to see a true double-blind study on headphones. Three headphones. One is burned in, one is not, and the third has a 50/50 probability of being one or the other. See how many people can correctly match the two that have the same status, with bonus points if they can tell whether it's burned in or not. 

And I'd love to get paid for this.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #53 of 89
Not experienced on this subject, but does it matter if you just listen to music for about 200 hours ish, when a friend picked up a new pair of b&w p5 there was quite a difference. Also, is it limited to "one burn in"? Can you burn in the lows first then the mids then the high or are you supposed to do it all at once?

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #54 of 89
I know these are for headphones but do these files also accelerate burn in for a DAP? I just bought a DX90 and I found out iBasso recommends 400 hours of burn in!
I don't have that time to wait before listening! I am wondering if the pink noise will accerate burn in more than ordinary music file?

Any ideas?

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #55 of 89
Thanks for the files, one question though: is it possible to make a warm headphone brighter, by the means of burn-in?
The cans in question are the K7XX, which I've burned-in for about 10-20 hours at an uncomfortably loud levels, using the music I listen to the most, in hopes of leveling out its splashiness in the mid-range. After seeing no progress, and perhaps even a regress, i.e. the opposite of the desired result, I've stopped said practice. This is just based on a hunch, which for obvious reasons I cannot verify, but what is certain is that it's "signature" as of right now is a tad too warm, even sloppy, for a lack of a better term. When comparing them to the Q701, even simple talking sounds too "full-bodied" than I would have preferred. In contrast, it seems to me that the Q701s are completely flat, which I prefer for general use.
If there's any way to balance out their warmness please do let me know.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #56 of 89
I felt the same way when I got mine. Probably have 300 hours of burn time on them now, and they sound spectacular.
 Will continue to burn for a while yet. Just go to YouTube and type in "headphone burn in". There are a lot of great ones
that go for 8-10 hours.    ♫

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #57 of 89
  I felt the same way when I got mine. Probably have 300 hours of burn time on them now, and they sound spectacular.
 Will continue to burn for a while yet. Just go to YouTube and type in "headphone burn in". There are a lot of great ones
that go for 8-10 hours.    ♫

Glad to hear that! Is there any reason why you didn't use the files provided by the OP, aside from convenience?
Also, could you elaborate a bit on how burn-in has affected the cans? Did it affect the mid-range in any way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back