FrankenZERO - A bang for buck exploration with a DIY Heart !
Nov 8, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #61 of 428
Thanks for all the replys guys, I needed to order a few parts for another project from digikey anyway, so I ordered the other electrolytic caps and diodes for this upgrade too. My only deviation was to order panasonic FCs for the 4700 and 1200uf sizes because the nichicon PWs were out of stock. I used FCs in my gainclone and they work nice there so I'm sure they'll be fine.

For the PIO caps I found a nice assortment deal from a seller that I had bought from before on ebay that included

0.047uF - 48pcs
0.1uF - 24pcs
0.15uF - 10pcs
0.22uF - 10pcs
0.47uF - 4pcs
1.0uF - 4pcs

Total - 100pcs all 160v so I will be swimming in k42y2s haha
smily_headphones1.gif

I read that the .033uf were a replacement for .047uf in your kit PP, so I assume they will be a good match. Of course it will be a couple weeks till they get here from Lithuania. I'm too spoiled by living so close to Digikey, my orders from them always get to me within 1-2 days, the speed is worth the sales tax hehe.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #62 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replys guys, I needed to order a few parts for another project from digikey anyway, so I ordered the other electrolytic caps and diodes for this upgrade too. My only deviation was to order panasonic FCs for the 4700 and 1200uf sizes because the nichicon PWs were out of stock. I used FCs in my gainclone and they work nice there so I'm sure they'll be fine.

For the PIO caps I found a nice assortment deal from a seller that I had bought from before on ebay that included

0.047uF - 48pcs
0.1uF - 24pcs
0.15uF - 10pcs
0.22uF - 10pcs
0.47uF - 4pcs
1.0uF - 4pcs

Total - 100pcs all 160v so I will be swimming in k42y2s haha
smily_headphones1.gif

I read that the .033uf were a replacement for .047uf in your kit PP, so I assume they will be a good match. Of course it will be a couple weeks till they get here from Lithuania. I'm too spoiled by living so close to Digikey, my orders from them always get to me within 1-2 days, the speed is worth the sales tax hehe.

Hi Corey,

Those .047's will allow any placement pattern you want since they are quite a bit smaller in height (?). There is no sonic difference that I can detect between the values. I'd say your well positioned to do a great job on the mod. I love digikey to...I just wish they carried the Elna and Nichicon top of the line stuff....maybe even some others that are well liked (HINT DIGIKEY, SANYO OS CON...lol ).

The FC's are nice caps...I used those in a number of CDP rebuilds so far with great results (I always use Nichicons in the PSU section...that just personal preference )

Anyway good luck with the mod.....keep us up to date on your findings
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

EDIT: Is that the 100 piece variety pack ? I bought one of those a while back...it's a great deal. I've almost used it all up..believe or not
smily_headphones1.gif
Along with lots of other Russian caps.....hard to fathom how one uses all these caps ...I manage it though. Lots of giveaways help to.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #63 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Corey,

Those .047's will allow any placement pattern you want since they are quite a bit smaller in height (?). There is no sonic difference that I can detect between the values. I'd say your well positioned to do a great job on the mod. I love digikey to...I just wish they carried the Elna and Nichicon top of the line stuff....maybe even some others that are well liked (HINT DIGIKEY, SANYO OS CON...lol ).

The FC's are nice caps...I used those in a number of CDP rebuilds so far with great results (I always use Nichicons in the PSU section...that just personal preference )

Anyway good luck with the mod.....keep us up to date on your findings
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

EDIT: Is that the 100 piece variety pack ? I bought one of those a while back...it's a great deal. I've almost used it all up..believe or not
smily_headphones1.gif
Along with lots of other Russian caps.....hard to fathom how one uses all these caps ...I manage it though. Lots of giveaways help to.

Yeah it was the 100 piece assortment from KWtubes, I like getting more than I need when they are coming from so far away, never know what else you might want to use them for! And at 18 bucks shipped for all them it seemed like a good deal.
After this, and more than likely upgrading to an earth hdam from my OPA627s I'll probably have more money in mods than what the Zero cost. I like it, haha
atsmile.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #64 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you missed my point.
wink.gif
The main point is that the K42's don't deserve the senseless trashing that was contained in the link that DaMnEd referenced.

P.S. As I also noted, there are size and cost advantages with the K42's as opposed to the K40's. They are certainly a worthy option when those considerations are important.

In all fairness that was a vague point.....

Peete.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #65 of 428
Quote:

In all fairness that was a vague point.....

Peete.

If you say so. Another just told me it was too specific. OK. I give up with the vague points.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #66 of 428
Certain OSCON such as the 100 uF has stop production, just like Blackgate.

I have tough time to find that too, but I settle for lower voltage.

Now I completed my mod pending the green sausage and ultra fast diode.

I have done up additional 2 silver mica underneath. I have also used 2x22pF 2% silver mica at the RCA noise killing and found to like it better.

P1060476.jpg

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #67 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you say so. Another just told me it was too specific. OK. I give up with the vague points.
wink.gif

Don't mind me Tomb, your contributions ARE appreciated.

Peete.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #68 of 428
I miss out another part of the mod to be done is to change the RCA coaxial to 75ohm BNC with gold plated contact.

Next I will follow up with my Shigaraki clone for the Transport.

and I hope to be done by then.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #69 of 428
Hey Peete, not sure if you got my email, but just thought I'd post it here... do you have any more parts for a Frankie? I'd like to get my hands on some (And then probably keep coming back here for some hand holding thru the soldering)... thanks!

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #70 of 428
Thanks for your great guide, PP. Let me ask questions;
1) Why should I cover the PIO caps with shrink wrap?
2) Can I use film caps instead of the PIO caps?

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #71 of 428
Just an update on where I'm at with my FrankenZero.

My compliments go out to PP, who dreamed this whole mod up in the first place, and made it a reality! PP, Sir, you ARE the "Steely Eyed Missile Man" of DIY. Good on ya!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got about 1200 hours on my FrankenZero now, and he's stable and awesome! Any possible "compatibility problems" with the FrankenZero mod kit, seem to have been proven non-existent, since so much time has passed without any type of problem. The "FrankenZero mod" is safe and durable when done properly.
smily_headphones1.gif

I finally settled on hooking up my FrankenZero to my Yamaha Pre-amp, along with the MKIII & MKIVse headphone amps on Tape1 and 2. The Pre-amp output is going to my new AudioSource Amp-100, driving my Audio Ecstasy speakers and sub-woofer. My desktop PC is hooked to FrankenZero via coaxial cable, and my notebook is hooked up via glass optical cable. This setup will improve further, when my new sub-woofer arrives next Tuesday. I also have a Blokker power supply filter coming, so that will also give FrankenZero another "edge" on clean power.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just have to make it fit in the case!
smily_headphones1.gif

So far, this FrankenZero adventure has been totally positive and extremely eye opening! I have canceled all plans to move to a balanced system, and I've also canceled my plan for a more expensive single ended DAC/Amp. Instead, I have another full "FrankenZero mod" kit ready to mod my second Zero, for use with my MKV headphone amp. I can't think of a better testimony for FrankenZero's performance! He has won me over.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #72 of 428
Hi Pench, couldn't have put it better about PP, his enthusiasm and adventurous spirit to explore any possible angles is utterly admirable.
And let me say too, that if it wasn't for your own brilliant review on the Zero in the first place, it's unlikely I would so ecstatic day after day listening to music at such an extraordinary level of communication.
To both of you fine souls,
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

In gratitude, S-Man
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #73 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your great guide, PP. Let me ask questions;
1) Why should I cover the PIO caps with shrink wrap?
2) Can I use film caps instead of the PIO caps?

You don't have to cover them...I just did for mine. What you do have to cover is the leads off the caps.

If you go with other caps the result will be different. The PIOs are cheap and better than most caps I used over the years. They are the key part to this mod IMO.

As always you are free to experiment with other caps just remember the parts list to get the expected result has to be followed closely....

Peete.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #74 of 428
Wow, Thanks guys !!!......I need a tissue ..
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully things will roll along and everyone will be overjoyed with their Frankie's....it makes me most happy when others get enjoyment from the fruits of their labor, you two are prime examples of such enjoyment.

Hats off to both of you and to those that have now completed their mods for taking the chance on my modest kit/mod.

Humbly yours,

Peete.

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #75 of 428
Quote:

You don't have to cover them...I just did for mine. What you do have to cover is the leads off the caps.

If you go with other caps the result will be different. The PIOs are cheap and better than most caps I used over the years. They are the key part to this mod IMO.

As always you are free to experiment with other caps just remember the parts list to get the expected result has to be followed closely....

Peete.

Thanks Peete!
darthsmile.gif

Let me ask another question. I want to use OS-CONs to replace 4 x 100uf 25V caps but there is no 100uf/25V OS-CON. 120uf/20V is the closest OS-CON I could find... Does this work fine there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back