FraGTaLiTy's Audio-Technica AD700 boom mic Mod
Apr 11, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #46 of 97
thanks for the replies guys

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #47 of 97
AD700 are much better for gaming, as they are open and give a wider soundstage. The AD700 are the one's with the pink grills
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nakattack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly what he did?

LOL

If you haven't heard the AD700, why bother commenting on it? Your post contributed nothing of value and probably confused alot of people. I think this mod is a brilliant idea, and I'm thinking of doing the same to some AD900's that I intend to purchase in the future. Don't crap on threads with useless unsubstantiated comparisons.

Because the AD700 is the counter part of the A700, the only difference is that the AD700s are open instead of being closed. The quality is not going be substantially different at all and theres reviews to back this up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is probably the largest piece of misinformation i've ever seen, at least on head-fi.

the mixamp is without a doubt the best piece of gaming equipment i've ever bought, hands down..... the a40 headset i wasted money on is a piece of crap, but the mixamp itsself does many things the fiio simply cant do, most importantly, dolby headphone.

also, your comparison/notes on A700 vs AD700 soundstage is laughable.. the A700's are capable gaming cans if you NEED a closed can, but the soundstage between the two is definitely night and day.... SQ is a little less of a difference, but the A700 compares more to the AD500, not the AD700.... and to top it all off, the A700 costs a good $30+ more... i dont see why anyone would go A700 vs AD700, unless the need for a closed headphone was absolutely necessary, and even if that was the case, i'd go with the ATH-M50... it's a much better can in every single way over the A700.

The only thing the mixamp can do that the $20 FiiO amp cant is "simulate 5.1" and mic control.

1) Simulated 5.1 is a huge joke, especially for headphone/sets.
2) The last game I played that didnt have in-game volume control was Halo 3 and then maybe if you really have hearing problems, the mixamp might come in handy. But in games like MW2, you can use the in-game volume control and the FiiO amp or w/e your using instead as mic control.

Night and day when it comes to soundstage? Of course the AD700 soundstage will be better, but you cant say the A700s soundstage is not even close. Now youre comparing the A700s to AD500s? Are you high or something?

The M50s have a much different sound spectrum if you will and the M50s cant touch the A700s on comfort. The M50s are more DJ headphones while clearly the A700s are not.

As for open headphones being better for gaming, yes they are, but for most people they wont be a good fit. Ive used open headphones before (most recently HD595s yesterday), any outside noise basically cancels out the positive side of the soundstage for open headphones.

If you have an influx of money coming in and dont need it, sure, get the mixamp, but for most people spending $200+ just for over hyped amp is just dumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does improve quality because it supports optical digital audio, which ****s on the basic red and white cable output. The AMP itself doesn't improve quality (although the ability to control the ratio of volumes between game audio and chat and import your mp3 player into it is neat). The thing is, you can't hook up optical audio to your headphone without an amp of some sort (at least from what I know) and because of this, buying an Astro Mixamp to use with optical audio will improve the quality of audio tremendously.

Also, the Astro Mixamp has a 5.1 dolby surround sound encoder, which does a damn good job at simulating surround sound on headphones.

For the price of the mixamp, you can buy a much, much better amp which will have an optical port. Also, HDMI is a digital signal, so that problem is solved if you dont want a $200 amp.

Like I posted, the mixamp is a waste of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea... i mean really, he basically said "don't buy a 5.1 system, the tv speakers are just fine!"

Its not a 5.1 system, its simulated, which isnt close to real 5.1 and I never said TV speakers, I said "speakers with a headphone jack", which I was referring to PC speakers you may have instead of buying the FiiO amp or an adapter.

Youre better off buying a HDTV/monitor with HDMI & headphone jack, a FiiO amp and HDMI cord.

Now you have (in newer games): game volume control, in-line mic control, and a digital audio source.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #49 of 97
Can anyone who have both the ad700 compare the isolation with k701 ???
the a700 cost $30 more than the ad700, but at this point of time, we are getting stuff to fullfill our needs, so if isolation is a key, and the a700 stacks up nicely with the ad700.. i don't mind the $30 more.

Oh yeah, can anyone compare k701's clamping force again ad700's ?
I don't mind k701 clamping force, but for my gaming hp, I am going to share with my brother, who dislike k701's clamping force.
So hows the clamp force of the ad700 ?

.. gosh this dilemma is irritating =/

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #50 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone who have both the ad700 compare the isolation with k701 ???
the a700 cost $30 more than the ad700, but at this point of time, we are getting stuff to fullfill our needs, so if isolation is a key, and the a700 stacks up nicely with the ad700.. i don't mind the $30 more.

Oh yeah, can anyone compare k701's clamping force again ad700's ?
I don't mind k701 clamping force, but for my gaming hp, I am going to share with my brother, who dislike k701's clamping force.
So hows the clamp force of the ad700 ?

.. gosh this dilemma is irritating =/

i have the k702 and the ad700, i would NEVER consider the a700 for a gaming headphone, period.

i have no need for isolation, so having an open headphone for gaming is paramount, in my opinion.

the ad700 has zero clamp force, literally zero.... people with small heads actually have issues keeping the ad700's from slipping around when moving their head around.... if the k701 clamping force feels good, or maybe even a little tight, your head seems to be the perfect fit for the ad700, they'll stay put and you'll never ever even notice that they're on your head... if you read any ad700 review, the reviewer will either say they were a little loose and could possibly fall off, or they'll say they're the most comfortable headphone they've ever worn (i recommend Steggyb's newest thread for a good read on them)

as for pLuhhmm's comments, we'll just have to agree to disagree, i completely disagree with nearly everything he says, and i find it hard to understand where he's coming from when his signature says he own's $20 headphones and a fiio, i don't know what experience he has with open headphones or gaming in general.... for a little perspective, i have a 47" lcd in an empty room with a 5.1 setup, i have the speakers positioned exactly where i want them, it's my "man cave" so i dont have to make any sacrifices for wife approval.

i game anywhere from 30-40 hours a week and i highly prefer gaming with my ad700/k702 over my 5.1 (polk/yamaha) setup, i actually run my headphones and my subwoofer together sometimes for that extra oomph, but i can't remember the last time i actually had the speakers on, gaming with headphones is that much better, but i'd never ever imagine running them in 2ch out of a headphone jack, i've done that before and the experience is pretty bad in comparison.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #51 of 97
Okay, my ad700 will be in in around 2-4 days, and I have just order the mic
biggrin.gif

Did anyone try opening the ad700 up ?

I have been thinking of recabling the ad700's cable into one with inline volume control.

Any guides around ?

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, my ad700 will be in in around 2-4 days, and I have just order the mic
biggrin.gif

Did anyone try opening the ad700 up ?

I have been thinking of recabling the ad700's cable into one with inline volume control.

Any guides around ?

Opening up the AD700 is pretty simple.

Here's a guide I found on another forum. Helped me a lot.

I think he's xformulax from here. Thanks formula if your the same person, that guide is really informative and has clear pictures.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #53 of 97
Thanks !

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #55 of 97
Guys, have anyone recently tried to order the mic ?

A friend of mine tried to order for me but seems to not get any response from the website/company selling the labtec mic..

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #56 of 97

Quote:
Guys, have anyone recently tried to order the mic ?

A friend of mine tried to order for me but seems to not get any response from the website/company selling the labtec mic..

Anyone~~

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #57 of 97
Tape off the Audio Technica label and paint them black. That way it would be a solid looking headphone, unless you want to prove the mod :/

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #58 of 97
Jul 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #59 of 97
Junliang, any reason you want to add an inline control to the AD700.

you run your phones into an amp right? ... which has volume control yes?

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #60 of 97

Quote:
Junliang, any reason you want to add an inline control to the AD700.

you run your phones into an amp right? ... which has volume control yes?

Oh no, I want to add a mic to the cups of my AD700, not an inline volume control.

This is my current setup.
Desktop > Creative SoundBlaster ExtremeGamer SoundCard
From soundcard
Green port -> 3.5mm splitter -> 3.5mm extension cable with inline volume controls > stock ad700
                                          -> Sennheiser PC160
Pink port -> Sennheiser PC160's mic
So i hang the pc160 around my neck for the mic and use the ad700.

Search around local Challenger, but cant seem to find a suitable mic to be able to stick on the cups of the AD700..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back