FraGTaLiTy's Audio-Technica AD700 boom mic Mod
Nov 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 97
I just did this mod and it works extremely good. The Mic he mentioned I had to tweak a little to get it sounding good, but its an easy fix and I think was more based on me being picky then really needing it

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 97
I had a pretty good idea for a spin on this mod although I'm not sure it will work. Basically my idea is to use a neodymium magnet on the microphone. These suckers are really powerful and should be up to the task of holding the microphone boom securely. This way if you need to detach it it is easily removable and there is no ugly velcro pad left behind. My question is though will a magnet harm the headphones and are the covers even made of steel? If not I guess you could open them up and glue a piece of metal in or something. Anyway this is just a small idea that I had. Let me know what you all think.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #19 of 97
After days and days of searching for a headset or headphone/mic combo I have finally decided to go with the AD700s and this mod. In the beginning I was held back because I'll be using this with a PS3 and you need a USB (or Bluetooth) mic for that. Sooo, after more research, I found that this 3.5 to USB adapter will work for the mic.

Thanks to Fragtality and everyone else here for the heaps of great information and advice! Kool Bubba Ice's gaming guide was particularly helpful as well.
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #20 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After days and days of searching for a headset or headphone/mic combo I have finally decided to go with the AD700s and this mod. In the beginning I was held back because I'll be using this with a PS3 and you need a USB (or Bluetooth) mic for that. Sooo, after more research, I found that this 3.5 to USB adapter will work for the mic.

Thanks to Fragtality and everyone else here for the heaps of great information and advice! Kool Bubba Ice's gaming guide was particularly helpful as well.
beerchug.gif

I plan on doing the same mod as the original poster and will be using it on the PS3.

The downside of your fix (the 3.5 to USB adapter) is that it still does not allow you to adjust the game & chat volumes on the fly.

So for that I will be using the Astro Mixamp. That gives you the complete package. Great headphones for gaming, a good mic & the ability to adjust the game and chat volume. Not to mention that it adds Dolby Headphone (if you don't already have it through your receiver). An absolute must for FPS's, or any game where you want directional sound indications.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 97
Nice mod Frag, I am planning on getting a mixamp and AD700's for the Nashville Combine. Hopefully I can do a mod like you did too.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #22 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astropin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on doing the same mod as the original poster and will be using it on the PS3.

The downside of your fix (the 3.5 to USB adapter) is that it still does not allow you to adjust the game & chat volumes on the fly.

So for that I will be using the Astro Mixamp. That gives you the complete package. Great headphones for gaming, a good mic & the ability to adjust the game and chat volume. Not to mention that it adds Dolby Headphone (if you don't already have it through your receiver). An absolute must for FPS's, or any game where you want directional sound indications.

The Mixamp was definitely my first choice, unfortunately it was just more than I wanted to spend. So, call me jealous!
tongue_smile.gif

I have not gotten the mic quite right yet. The pad that comes with the mic that is intended to rest on your head comes off of the plastic pretty easily, and pulls off if you take the mic off of the headphones (I used Velcro to attach the mic, and I removed it because I had not ordered my extension cable for the mic yet or the wire wrap).

Speaking of that, the mic cord is about 2 - 3 feet shorter than the headphone cord, so I grabbed one of these:

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Any other tips on making the mic sound as nice as possible?

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 97
i run a similar setup with a GE mic, i put a volume puck on it so it can be directly plugged into a controller, or you can use the little rock band mic adapter cable and plug it into the 4 pole astro headset cable.

cimg7834.jpg

i have since stripped the purple (oven cleaner does the work on its own)

cimg7851.jpg

and then went with a flat black:

blackad7001.jpg

the next step is a recable and mic relocate (internally)... i've also put some fiber in the driver port, helped remove the borderline siblance i've been hearing in some of my source material... and i removed the outer pads between the driver and the grill, which i'm currently still testing the effects.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 97
Well done. Looks great. I also have the mixamp.

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #27 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blackad7001.jpg

Great paint job, looks a lot more appealing with the black grills instead of the stock purple.

I'm thinking of painting mine too. Did you remove the badge when you painted them or did you just cover them with some tape?

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #28 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great paint job, looks a lot more appealing with the black grills instead of the stock purple.

I'm thinking of painting mine too. Did you remove the badge when you painted them or did you just cover them with some tape?

sorry, i didnt notice the question before, i removed the AT tags, they're held on by 2 sided tape and i pushed them with a pin from behind, you have to be careful as the adhesive is pretty good and the metal they're made from is very thin, i bent one but i was able to bend it back and reshape it, it's not perfect but it looks fine.... i still wouldnt chance trying to tape it up, maybe try heating the adhesive with a heat gun or a hair dryer would help it come off easier?

i'm not sure how paint would stick to the purple, but of course you can try it... i decided to strip mine first because i kind of wanted them to be silver.... turned out i liked flat black better though.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #29 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, i didnt notice the question before, i removed the AT tags, they're held on by 2 sided tape and i pushed them with a pin from behind, you have to be careful as the adhesive is pretty good and the metal they're made from is very thin, i bent one but i was able to bend it back and reshape it, it's not perfect but it looks fine.... i still wouldnt chance trying to tape it up, maybe try heating the adhesive with a heat gun or a hair dryer would help it come off easier?

i'm not sure how paint would stick to the purple, but of course you can try it... i decided to strip mine first because i kind of wanted them to be silver.... turned out i liked flat black better though.

Awesome job on the headphones. What paint did you use? Have you noticed any chipping?

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #30 of 97
wow, finally found this thread..

since the ad700 is an open back hp, is the mic blocking anything at the grills ?
since nothing is suppose to be blocking it no ?

And, how does the a700(closed) compare to the ad700 for gaming ?
Is the positional audio still as accurate ?

Saying this because I would like to have that isolation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back