Found a Black Widow Spider a foot from my house today. Can't stop freaking out...
Sep 5, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #76 of 91
Sorry dude - but take the normal precaution and chill out.

A few years ago we moved my grandmother out of her house out by Belreve and out to Chesterfield. The house was from the 1930's and had plenty of old, but it was still a big house by all accounts.

Anyway, we took all the junk and moved stuff in the basement.

We found out that the whole house was INFESTED with brown recluse spiders. In the 40 years that they live din taht house, no one was ever bitten - even the dogs. Even while we were moving things out of the basement and attic, we only saw a few.

A couple of summers ago, I was working as a camp counsilor at my college for a gifted program. Well, the place that we were staying was also infested with Brown Recluse spiders. In fact, the counsilors had to spray every night afte rteh kids went to sleep and then vacuum them all up before the kids awoke. It was gross, but no one got hurt.

Take the normal steps and chill - peope have lived a long time with spiders in their lives.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #77 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Camel spiders look disgusting! They can run 15mph and bite large holes in the flesh with powerful mouth parts.

sun-scorpion.jpg

Apparently, these are not true spiders and belong to a distinct family of arachnids, similar to scorpions:

Solifugae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still look dodgy though!

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #80 of 91
yikes.gif
Gah! Why did I open this thread when I knew it was about spiders? I am extremely arachnophobic. I run from little spiders that are 10 feet away. And I am a sight to see if one ever gets on me. Now you made me have to start checking my clothes before I put them on and check drawers before I pull anything out and so on. Then people had to start posting pics.
banghead.gif
Why!?
mad.gif
Now I am mad at myself.

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #81 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by metllicamilitia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yikes.gif
Gah! Why did I open this thread when I knew it was about spiders? I am extremely arachnophobic. I run from little spiders that are 10 feet away. And I am a sight to see if one ever gets on me. Now you made me have to start checking my clothes before I put them on and check drawers before I pull anything out and so on. Then people had to start posting pics.
banghead.gif
Why!?
mad.gif
Now I am mad at myself.

as i have previously stated my house is somewhat infested with violin spiders (read brown recluse). one time i shook my pants before putting them out and a violin spider the size of a quarter dropped to the ground at my feet. i died a little inside that day. ever since then i check my pants as well as my shoes.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #82 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as i have previously stated my house is somewhat infested with violin spiders (read brown recluse). one time i shook my pants before putting them out and a violin spider the size of a quarter dropped to the ground at my feet. i died a little inside that day. ever since then i check my pants as well as my shoes.

I've had that happen twice with giant house spiders and that made my skin crawl somewhat, but with a species as highly venomous as that I'd really be **** up!
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #83 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are really reminding me why I LOVE biology ;D

X2! Fascinating stuff
icon10.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

I know what you mean. Sorry OP (I'm in the STL area too btw), but one time I was sitting there surfing the net on my couch when I felt an itch on my calf. I scratched it, thinking nothing much of it, until I felt a crawling sensation. Thinking it was an ant, I stood up and rustled my jeans pant leg, and out popped a spider with a leg span of about 4/5 of an inch. I was wearing straight cut jeans, so how it got in that tight of a space was beyond me. I was just thankful that it stopped there and didn't proceed towards my crotch!
ph34r.gif

About spiders in general... They always appear in my apartment. All the same size, 3/4 of an inch leg span or more. I wonder where the heck they all come from. I don't really mind them, so much as they leave me alone, so I just catch them in a cup and toss them outside when I come across them.

As another poster already stated though, there's not much that you can do to keep small insects and spiders from invading your home unfortunately. They will not bite unless provoked, so feel free to just spray or swat them from a distance if they scare you.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #85 of 91
I have pretty much got used to killing the occasional black widow around my house. What freaked my ass out was scaring the copperhead out from under the hot tub when I was spraying down the patio. Gotta love that country livin'.

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #86 of 91
Quote:

i died a little inside that day.

You guys are cracking me up. I have to start coming to this forum regularly again.
popcorn.gif
L3000.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #87 of 91
THANK GOD I LIVE IN UK!!

I am scared S***less of spiders in this country!

Never mind this crazy ass spiders posted in this thread!

Now the huntsman or wolf spiders may be harmless but by god it's like sharing the house with a cat!

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #88 of 91
Id spray under gaps or around the outside of the house. I seen then everywhere here in florida in fact i know were to live in my back yard but there not much of a danger if you use common sense. I have never been bitten by one but I was bitten by a Brown Recluse and that SUCKED. Those things are evil

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #89 of 91
i freak out like a little girl when i find a spider crawling on me. makes me feel like they are crawling on me while i try to sleep. one of the worst sensations in the world is walking into a spider web at night when it gets on your arms and your face. too bad we can't move somewhere that doesn't have spiders. ireland is supposed to not have snakes as legend has it but i don't know a place where us aracnophobs can hide out.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #90 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gross. I think those Camel Spiders are the ones that can burrow into your body while you sleep.

A prof in college went on tons of archeology trips and told a story of this happening to someone on one of their trips.

They have a anesthesize your skin first so you don't feel the bites while you sleep. Then they eat away an opening into your body so they can sleep inside you to get away from the cold desert night.

This poor guy had this happen to his face while he slept.

True? Not sure but this prof swore it was. Either way, I'm avoiding deserts.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

snopes.com: Camel Spiders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back