Found a Black Widow Spider a foot from my house today. Can't stop freaking out...
Sep 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah a violin spider is a brown recluse. i just call them violin spiders to keep myself at ease. violin spider sounds like they are going to play for me while i enjoy my meal.

I've been reading up on some of the species mentioned or posted about in this thread on wikipedia lol! They fascinate me though! Definately hav an interest in spiders! And a touch of arachnophobia. Odd offset that. I'm cfonsidering getting a pet taranula, a docile species to help me get over this bit of arachnophobia I harbour, through being near and.or handling the spider and to embrace my affiliation for these extraordinary creatures! Anyone know any appropriate species for such?

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You people should definitely make a trip down here to Australia some time.

i'd love to visit. first i need to find a spray that kills funnel web spiders, box jellyfish, taipan, great white shark, and worst of all the tiger snake. yeah i watched a special on the world's most poisonous animals a week or so ago.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

yeah a violin spider is a brown recluse. i just call them violin spiders to keep myself at ease. violin spider sounds like they are going to play for me while i enjoy my meal.

I'm dying over here, this just cracked me up.
jecklinsmile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #65 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You people should definitely make a trip down here to Australia some time.

Did that 2 yrs ago. Living on Northwest of Sydney and DO NOT like the pesky flies and funnel web spider in the forest.
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beefy, when you say these huntsmans are harmless, I assume you mean in terms of toxicity of their venom to humans right? Surely a spider of that size and physical design can bite you nastily if not with any danger of fatality?

Yeah, worst they can do is about the equivalent of sticking yourself with a staple. And they are very passive until you start poking them.

But despite being non-venomous, they are very dangerous to other spiders. I've heard stories of people putting huntsman and funnel webs in a common container, an the huntsman ripping the funnel web limb from limb......

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #68 of 91
That was indeed one of the rare, bad bites from the Fiddleback or Brown Recluse spider. It was a photo that I found while searching for bad spider bites. It happens very rarely, but the fact that it happens at all is very creepy.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was indeed one of the rare, bad bites from the Fiddleback or Brown Recluse spider. It was a photo that I found while searching for bad spider bites. It happens very rarely, but the fact that it happens at all is very creepy.

I just tooka nother look at that bite...man thats ghastly! Nausiating to look at! Wonder whether the victim/sufferer will have contracted any irreparable damage from that bite? Its hard to imagine that hand being normal again! Its nasty.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #70 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brown Recluse aint got nothing on the Hobo Spider. Same Venom cept bigger and aggressive as hell.

do hobo spiders beg you for money for "greyhound busfares" or claim they will watch your car for you for $20? i can just see eight legs franticly washing your car at a gas station.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

i'd love to visit. first i need to find a spray that kills funnel web spiders, box jellyfish, taipan, great white shark, and worst of all the tiger snake. yeah i watched a special on the world's most poisonous animals a week or so ago.

As I understand, the Fierce Snake (also a Taipan), which is found in central Australia is the most venomous snake in the world, and the Taipan found in the northern parts of Australia is the most dangerous (aggressive and highly venomous).

I also believe that as far as number of deaths is concerned, the Cobra kills more people than any other because more people interact directly with Cobras than other snaes.

It's quite difficult to find an authoritative source for this information.

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #72 of 91
Hey.
You know last time when i was a kid i used to see brown coloured spiders the size of my palm. Once i even saw a spider with the body slightly smaller than my palm and the body looked like a fried fish body cut into half.

But as i grew up, all these spiders kind of disappeared. Where did they go? I used to see them frequently last time.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #73 of 91
Camel spiders look disgusting! They can run 15mph and bite large holes in the flesh with powerful mouth parts.

sun-scorpion.jpg

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #74 of 91
Gross. I think those Camel Spiders are the ones that can burrow into your body while you sleep.

A prof in college went on tons of archeology trips and told a story of this happening to someone on one of their trips.

They have a anesthesize your skin first so you don't feel the bites while you sleep. Then they eat away an opening into your body so they can sleep inside you to get away from the cold desert night.

This poor guy had this happen to his face while he slept.

True? Not sure but this prof swore it was. Either way, I'm avoiding deserts.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #75 of 91
I wonder what it is about spiders that freaks people out so much. My brother has a phobia. They have the skin crawl effect with me; I'm not as bad as he is. It's like they are little killing machines, watching, waiting....they sure look like a nightmare to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back