Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 11, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #11,701 of 12,086
ZMF Ori sheepskin (with custom attenuator) - Best currently available pad I've tried on the TH-X00. Better clarity and details than most other pads, the suede version bests it here. Bass level while less than stock is still nice and impactful, and integrates better with the mids than any other pad.

ZMF Ori Suede (with custom attenuator) - The most balanced pad I've tried for the TH-X00. Less bass impact than the sheepskin version, mids are more forward as are highs. Detail and clarity/resolution is the highest I've heard. Very dynamic sounding and It's more cold sounding than the sheepskin version. Comfort like that of the sheepskin version.

So with me having big ears, then these would be my winners, it seems like. How does one get (or create?) a custom attenuator? Somewhat new to the pad swap/modding game.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #11,702 of 12,086
A bit late to the Fostex game, but it looks like I'll be getting my first set (TH-X00 Mahogany). I've got a big head (which is good for these cans, from what I understand), but I also have big ears (I've heard the stock pads make these feel more "on ear" than "over ear" -- I prefer the latter). Do Dekoni pads offer more "room"? How much do they alter the sound? And I've heard mixed thoughts on pad swapping and/or the attentuation ring. Any feedback?

The stock pads just aren't very comfortable (hard, shallow) and the ear hole openings are on the small size but if you can tolerate the stock pad it's going to give you best quality sound (IMO). I have the Dekoni Hybrid pads and the opening isn't any larger but they are much softer/more comfortable for me. If you make or buy a full sized attenuation ring, the bass remains pretty much the same but the lower treble and upper mids take a hit by becoming harsher. But since they aren't a super deep pad they don't destroy the midrange. For me the comfort trade off was worth it, but that's going to be your call.

I tried the Ori Sheepskin pad on my X00 and pretty much hated it. Bass was fine with an attenuation ring but it was the mids and highs ruined it for me. The mids recess too much for my taste (the further your ears are from the driver the less mids you get) and the treble becomes boosted. I have a pretty high treble tolerance but this was too much for me.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #11,703 of 12,086
If you make or buy a full sized attenuation ring, the bass remains pretty much the same but the lower treble and upper mids take a hit by becoming harsher.

I'm a bit lost -- what's the point of the attenuation ring? In this case, if the bass stays the same, but you sonically ruin the mids and treble, why do it? :)

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #11,704 of 12,086
I'm a bit lost -- what's the point of the attenuation ring? In this case, if the bass stays the same, but you sonically ruin the mids and treble, why do it? :)

Sorry I word barfed a bit there. The attenuation ring pretty much only affects the bass. The mids and highs changes that I mentioned came from the hybrid pad itself and remained whether I had the ring in it or not. A full sized ring (all the way around) has the most bass and usually puts the quantity on par with the stock pads, if not adding a little extra. However, you can tune the bass to your liking by making the ring yourself (I made mine from a old folder) and reducing the amount of the circumference the ring covers (for instance make one that only covers the back half of the pad). Removing the ring altogether reduces the bass the most.
20200111_143003.jpg

This is the template that I used. http://i.imgur.com/YewBylA.jpg

I hope that's a little more clear.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #11,705 of 12,086
Sorry I word barfed a bit there. The attenuation ring pretty much only affects the bass. The mids and highs changes that I mentioned came from the hybrid pad itself and remained whether I had the ring in it or not. A full sized ring (all the way around) has the most bass and usually puts the quantity on par with the stock pads, if not adding a little extra. However, you can tune the bass to your liking by making the ring yourself (I made mine from a old folder) and reducing the amount of the circumference the ring covers (for instance make one that only covers the back half of the pad). Removing the ring altogether reduces the bass the most.

Absolutely. Thanks for the time and clarification. Excited to get in the game and I want them to fit and sound as good as possible (naturally).

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #11,706 of 12,086
Pad swapping is russian roulette. Just see how it works. I have decent sized ears it wasnt a problem for me.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #11,708 of 12,086

You don't have to put the attenuator underneath the pads - can make them to fit inside the ear opening side, just slip them inside the opening - no need to bother taking the pads off and on, which is great if you are trying to experiment with different attenuation shapes.

i-8PbnPvN.jpg

i-kBZgNGc.jpg

EQ works well to to take the treble edge off. I boost subbass some and cut just a bit of the upper mids and treble... along with using hybrid tube amp with certain tubes. Mahoganies don't have the same treble of the Purplehearts though... they are more laid back and warmer overall compared to the Purplehearts, but less punchy and less weighted in the subbass.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #11,709 of 12,086

TR-X00 is the same thing as a TH-X00... only difference is the detachable cable.

Yeah I realize that. I just didn't know whether the TR and TX use the same pads as the TH-900 but maybe that is not what we were talking about anyway. I guess I was posting past my bedtime!

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #11,710 of 12,086
Dekoni pads (at least the ones I've tried) are no improvement in comfort over stock...opening is actually slightly smaller than stock. I have big ears and the Dekoni's are no-go for me, both in comfort and sound. ZMF Ori or Yaxi 'leather' pads with custom attenuators would be my two preferred pads for my Purpleheart (other than the Jmoney V3 which is my favorite but is not an option due to not being made since many years ago...). I've posted it before, but below are my thoughts on different pads I've tried, specifically with the Purplehearts:

ZMF Ori sheepskin (with custom attenuator) - Best currently available pad I've tried on the TH-X00. Better clarity and details than most other pads, the suede version bests it here. Bass level while less than stock is still nice and impactful, and integrates better with the mids than any other pad.

ZMF Ori Suede (with custom attenuator) - The most balanced pad I've tried for the TH-X00. Less bass impact than the sheepskin version, mids are more forward as are highs. Detail and clarity/resolution is the highest I've heard. Very dynamic sounding and It's more cold sounding than the sheepskin version. Comfort like that of the sheepskin version.

I was looking around on reddit and I saw somebody post this on their listing for Mahoganies.

With your votes for ZMF and their back-to-back recommendations for ZMF, I'm leaning towards hopping in. However, I want to make sure I get the right one(s). Can you flip me a link to the ZMF Angled Lambskin pads?

FWIW, my Mahoganies (with Dekoni sheepskin elite + I bought attenuation rings for them) should be here soon... and I also just pulled the trigger on some Ebonies (completely stock TH model). I might see if one plays better on the other.

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #11,711 of 12,086
I was looking around on reddit and I saw somebody post this on their listing for Mahoganies.

With your votes for ZMF and their back-to-back recommendations for ZMF, I'm leaning towards hopping in. However, I want to make sure I get the right one(s). Can you flip me a link to the ZMF Angled Lambskin pads?

FWIW, my Mahoganies (with Dekoni sheepskin elite + I bought attenuation rings for them) should be here soon... and I also just pulled the trigger on some Ebonies (completely stock TH model). I might see if one plays better on the other.

Thanks!

All ZMF pads are angled pads. The only ZMFs I've tried on my Purplehearts have been the Ori's. I would ask for clarification from whoever has the pads on what exact pad they are mentioning. Most likely would be the Oval or Ori...but could be any of the others as well.

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/zmf-oval-earpads

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/ori-pads

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #11,712 of 12,086
All ZMF pads are angled pads. The only ZMFs I've tried on my Purplehearts have been the Ori's. I would ask for clarification from whoever has the pads on what exact pad they are mentioning. Most likely would be the Oval or Ori...but could be any of the others as well.

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/zmf-oval-earpads

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/ori-pads

Thanks for this! I'm thinking it was the Ori. Even if it was the Eikon, I don't want to mess with a total hack job (I was just informed they don't fit out of the box).

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #11,714 of 12,086
Has anyone tried this cable for the TR-X00?

Im looking into a balanced setup but I'm not willing to pay $300 for a moon audio cable...
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Premium-Headphone-replacement/dp/B07DGPF1WC

Interesting. I have not tried that cable but if it indeed has the correctly molded ends that match the shape of the stock cable, this is a pretty good deal. I ended up using a Sennheiser Hd650 cable because of the ridiculous prices that the Fostex cables fetched. It works but it looks a little janky.
15793684725564984014931819843356.jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #11,715 of 12,086
Hey there guys I need some help. I inadvertently stepped on my purple hearts and broke my hanger that hold cup to headband. Ouch. Who out there does repair and mod work on these cans that is recommended. Would also like to get detachable cable work done while in for repair. Thanx for any suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back