Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #11,641 of 12,086
Thanks for the response. I have been looking at those Sonys. I enjoyed my previous Sony MDR ZX-600, which basically sounded like a less refined and less aggressive Sennheiser Amperior to my ears. If Sony makes something with that sound signature, but better sounding and better clamping pressure, I could get on that train for sure.

I feel like all my research has led me back to the original M100 though.

If you listen to bass music, then you won't be disappointed.
If you want a more refined sound whilst having a portable can with noise cancelling and wired + wireless mode, the 1000X-M3s (regardless of the relatively high, but thankfully in Sony fashion, falling price) are a no brainer.

If you just want a super lightweight fun, cheap and portable can, the MDR-1As are still recommended, just remember the very top end (>10Khz) is dull and you can't EQ it in convincingly.

I haven't listened to the HD25s in quite a while, but I was surprised how good they sounded for on ear whilst being marketed for monitoring/mastering. Quite a tight clamp though.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #11,642 of 12,086
The Amperiors are sweet because they increase the bass and treble over the HD 25 IMO. I'm more of a v shaped fan than a true basshead. I like a boatload of bass, but I like even more treble sparkle. The V moda m100 just barely beat out the Amperior IMO. I'd probably buy another metal-cupped version of the HD-25 over the V moda though, if Sennheiser made it again.

Purplehearts sound 2x as good to my ears as any of them though. More subbass and more treble, yet less fatiguing. I wish there was a better built, more portable version. I'd pay $500-$600 for that. I am afraid of paying $470 for the current one and use it outside the house. They do sound surprisingly good off just a smartphone though.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #11,643 of 12,086
I've been listening to the TH-X00 Mahoganies for awhile now and I'm always impressed at how fast it's sound signature pulls me in. I absolutely love the bass response and would do nothing to change it! My only gripe is that sometimes the treble seems a bit artificial, but if this is my only complaint then I'll gladly take this as winning headphone.

I've sometimes read that the driver is based on the Denon D7000. Is this true? Has anyone compared the two? Impressions?

Also, has anyone listened to the Mahoganies with the Chord Mojo?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #11,644 of 12,086
The Amperiors are sweet because they increase the bass and treble over the HD 25 IMO. I'm more of a v shaped fan than a true basshead. I like a boatload of bass, but I like even more treble sparkle. The V moda m100 just barely beat out the Amperior IMO. I'd probably buy another metal-cupped version of the HD-25 over the V moda though, if Sennheiser made it again.

Purplehearts sound 2x as good to my ears as any of them though. More subbass and more treble, yet less fatiguing. I wish there was a better built, more portable version. I'd pay $500-$600 for that. I am afraid of paying $470 for the current one and use it outside the house. They do sound surprisingly good off just a smartphone though.

Honestly I know someone who wears his TH900s on a daily commute.
The cups are vulnerable to scratches, but other than that, even if you drop it, the pads would probably just fall off and when you put them back on it'd be fine.
But they're semi open and finding a shorter cable is expensive so, not really a viable option.

Perhaps a Modhouse Argon is right for you, but you'd need a strong portable amp and patience (9 week lead time). Tbh, for an easily malleable V-Shaped signature, just get the Sony WH-1000X-M3s. Pretty sure that ticks all your boxes. With a little bit of tweaking, it's easily one of my favourite V-Shaped cans that are portable. Again, you're not going to get Purpleheart quality in anything that cost less than it in my experience. Something might do mid range better, but no sub bass or any other aspect, but not all of them.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #11,645 of 12,086
Yesterday I got my 2nd purple heart X00. A while ago i sold them and got seller remorse.
I found a good pair for a fair price and for the first time started to tinker beyond a pad swap and re-soldered the cables from single ended to balanced 4pin XLR by re-using an old cable I had laying around.
IMG_20190802_210351.jpg
The original cable is quite high quality and everything was marked and very easy to replace / resolder. Fostex has a friend in me, but we have been for quite some time already.

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #11,647 of 12,086
I have read a lot in this thread and I can summarize most of the experiences mentioned here (must do) :
- Lawton driver mod.
- ZMF Eikon Pad/ Dekoni.

However, there is no apparent mention of DAC/AMP other than :
1- Grace Design m9XX (best but pricey).
2- schiit Asgard 2.
3- O2+ODAC.
4- JDS Labs The Element.

Since I have the TR mahogany version, and no dac/amp, I need your help with:
1- amp/dac up to 250-300$ (I listen on my pc).
2- cable if needed.
3- does Spotify worth it or there is something else to listen to?
4- any other tips you wish you had done/knew and discovered later.

Thanks

Sep 25, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #11,648 of 12,086
Is it worth it to get the purplehearts then EQ down the treble for someone who is super treble sensitive (even my Porta pros and hd58x give me ringing ears and fatigue)? I hear the bass is as good as it gets under $1k and I don't want to spend more than $500. I'm also thinking of getting the nighthawks just for a laid back sorta sound to enjoy music.

forgot to add that the purpleheart eq very well into harman target from what I've seen, but even harman still has slightly too much treble for long listening sessions. which is a big reason im looking into these.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #11,649 of 12,086
Is it worth it to get the purplehearts then EQ down the treble for someone who is super treble sensitive (even my Porta pros and hd58x give me ringing ears and fatigue)? I hear the bass is as good as it gets under $1k and I don't want to spend more than $500. I'm also thinking of getting the nighthawks just for a laid back sorta sound to enjoy music.

forgot to add that the purpleheart eq very well into harman target from what I've seen, but even harman still has slightly too much treble for long listening sessions. which is a big reason im looking into these.

If PortaPros are too much treble for you I wouldn't dare recommend the PH to you, regardless of eq simply because they are pretty intense (although not as much with stock pads) in every respect. But my expertise on eq is limited. I usually only use it to give bass-light headphones more presence. I guess you could always just dampen the crap out of the front of the driver to push the treble down.

AQ Nighthawks are a strange headphone. I find them infuriating with some songs and magical with others. They certainly have rolled off treble but the bass bleeds into the mids so much and then dives off a cliff it makes for a very specific signature. Classic rock tends to work best with them since that genre typically doesn't have much mid-bass.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #11,650 of 12,086
If PortaPros are too much treble for you I wouldn't dare recommend the PH to you, regardless of eq simply because they are pretty intense (although not as much with stock pads) in every respect. But my expertise on eq is limited. I usually only use it to give bass-light headphones more presence. I guess you could always just dampen the crap out of the front of the driver to push the treble down.

AQ Nighthawks are a strange headphone. I find them infuriating with some songs and magical with others. They certainly have rolled off treble but the bass bleeds into the mids so much and then dives off a cliff it makes for a very specific signature. Classic rock tends to work best with them since that genre typically doesn't have much mid-bass.

Thanks for the input. I just got a pair of yaxi pads for the portapros and they seem to help with longer listening sessions. Its just pretty hard to find decent closed backs with forward bass, neutral mids and rolled off treble. nighthawk seem to be a pretty good pair of lounging headphones. for forward mids/clarity I have the er4xr which I prefer over the hd600.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #11,651 of 12,086
Thanks for the input. I just got a pair of yaxi pads for the portapros and they seem to help with longer listening sessions. Its just pretty hard to find decent closed backs with forward bass, neutral mids and rolled off treble. nighthawk seem to be a pretty good pair of lounging headphones. for forward mids/clarity I have the er4xr which I prefer over the hd600.

Modding HD6xx series to closed-back may fit the bill... my closed-back modded HD58X (Headphile zebrawood cups and Yaxi HD650 Alcantara pads) that can compete with my modded Purplehearts for low end insanity but are dark, smooth, and easy listening like the Porta Pros with Yaxi pads...some EQ required though to get the near Purpleheart subbass levels...

i-d2bTqsS.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #11,652 of 12,086
Its bass not treble that need to be tamed. Bass will boom like nothing else before treble ever get to be an issue.

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #11,654 of 12,086

Well, it sounds like you might enjoy the Nighthawks then. However, keep in mind that they aren't fully closed back, more like semi-open. The Nightowls are the closed-back model but I believe they have a different sound signature.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #11,655 of 12,086

Wired Senheiser Momentum (M2) and NAD VISO HP50 has forward bass, neutral mids and rolled off treble (HP50 less rolled off treble).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back