Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #11,582 of 12,086
Right so today I thought I preferred the cups without damping, so I took them apart again, removed all of the medical tape damping on the cups, tested them again.... Hm it sounds slightly brighter and less refined in the treble, the bass went back to being worse again, slightly bloated etc. So then I took them apart again, put the damping back on the cups, this time 2 layers instead of 3... I think I can say I am done with modding these now.

But what I can say is that damping the cups with medical tape makes them sound better (to me anyway), treble is a bit smoother, everything sound a bit tighter, bass loses the remaining distortion / reverb, overall yes I would recommend all of these mods... Still not tried any different pads, because I do not find the stock pads very uncomfortable, I also did the pad trimming mod on them and put some medical tape on the plastic ring.

Overall these sound a lot better now... They sound like for example if there was the TH X00, then there was a THX000, which is the next model up, same sound as the stock but just better in all areas! Highly recommended to do these mods!

The mods I have currently are :

Lawton driver mod
2 layers medical tape damping on cups
Stock pads + pad trimming mod + medical tape on plastic ring
Foam ring in the stock position or #2

Overall yes I think I am done now, I am very impressed with the result of these mods, my X00 does not have "sloppy" bass, or harsh treble anymore!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #11,583 of 12,086
Just been going through my Foobar playlist TRYING to find a track where the bass sounds bloated.... Nope just cannot find anything where the bass sounds bloated except for some 128Kbps youtube videos! Before I modded these I was noticing the bloated bass probably 50% of the time, now it is replaced with clean and detailed bass at all times!!

Also the treble is not harsh at all anymore, wow I am very impressed with these mods!

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #11,584 of 12,086
Wow, you have dexterous hands to take the cups off so many times! My hands are more suited for "fist=hammer...urg!" tasks; and removing the cups once to do the Lawton mod was enough for me.

On the plus side, if I can do it, anyone can probably do it!

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #11,585 of 12,086
I have an update about my stripped headband slider screw that I posted about here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-768#post-14784308 if anyone is interested. After finding that Full Compass was going to charge me $7 for shipping on a $2 screw I decided to find a cheaper alternative. I found these on Aliexpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cg8ihQLAand I paid less than a $1 for 100 screws (M2x3 size).

They arrived today. The replacement screws are almost identical to the originals, the only difference being the heads on the ones I ordered are slightly thinner. However, they fit perfectly and when it's installed it almost impossible to tell the difference. So if anyone needs to replace their headband slider screws don't get the ones from Full Compass, look elsewhere.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #11,586 of 12,086
LOL in all honesty, buy the ZMF Ori pads. There have been tests long-buried in this thread (even with FR graphs) where the ZMF pads are the second-best. The best being Jmoney pads from MANY years ago that can't be purchased anymore.

I've heard good stuff about the Ori, not tried them but have enjoyed the Eikon Perforated Lambskin over Alpha, TH600/900 (yes these are brutal), and stock. Far more comfortable, larger soundstage and if you want the mid bass bump add attenuators. I currently removed mine to get more subbass presence.

Lawton driver damping mod
Cup damping with medical tape
Pad trimming mod (can also add medical tape to the plastic parts)
Foam rotate mod to #2

CLEAN bass, no bloat!! Smoother treble, more forward mid, bigger soundstage, clearer, better imaging.... NO downsides!

What is the Pad Trimming Mod and Cup Damping with medical tape? Are you just using something like 3M Micropore tape and covering the insides of the cups? Maybe not so much damping but more of a surface treatment? When i think of damping, I think adding mass to reduce vibration.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #11,587 of 12,086
Would flat pads be bad on the X00? eg, Brainwavz sheepskin flat pads? Would I want angled?

TH600/900 pads are flat and bring up the treble significantly and kill the bass.

Alpha Pads are cavernous and angled and create a very pronounced V-shape. Soundstage does seem larger but at the expense of recessed mids and increased treble.

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #11,588 of 12,086
What is the Pad Trimming Mod and Cup Damping with medical tape? Are you just using something like 3M Micropore tape and covering the insides of the cups? Maybe not so much damping but more of a surface treatment? When i think of damping, I think adding mass to reduce vibration.

It is the mods from the "TH900 EZ mods" thread, today I took out the damping I had before, which was quite a lot as was making the sound too damped, I replaced it with exactly ONE layer of the medical tape, now it is pretty good.

I also just found some Teaks at a good price, which sound like exactly what I would want, Overall yes will be interesting to compare the 2 and decide which to keep. I am pretty happy with the X00 but most people seem to prefer the Teaks but we will see!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #11,590 of 12,086
It is the mods from the "TH900 EZ mods" thread, today I took out the damping I had before, which was quite a lot as was making the sound too damped, I replaced it with exactly ONE layer of the medical tape, now it is pretty good.

I also just found some Teaks at a good price, which sound like exactly what I would want, Overall yes will be interesting to compare the 2 and decide which to keep. I am pretty happy with the X00 but most people seem to prefer the Teaks but we will see!

Don't forget to keep us updated on your impressions between the Teaks and THX00. Very interested in how you stack them up against one another.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #11,591 of 12,086
Currently comparing the Yaxi Alcantara and leather pads on my Purplehearts - the leather version seems like it will be the one. Still not a substitute for the Jmoney V3 lambskin, but may be better than the ZMF Ori lambskin...

i-6mXqp3K.jpg

Oh, and the Yaxi HD650 Alcantara pads are nice on the HD58X... Sennheiser 6 series with near Purpleheart subbass experience and that sounds similar to an Argon Mk3... say What?!!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #11,592 of 12,086
Hey there everyone!

My first pair of Fostex was the Argon MKII -- I found it very pleasing in the bass and soundstage, but found it a bit too muddy and bloomy.
My next pair was the TH-900 -- I found it to be one of, if not the most engaging headphone I've owned, but I found the treble to be overdone.

I'm back on the search for some wonderful, punchy bass that has elevated highs that are not overdone. I landed on the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony. Can anyone comment on a comparison between the TH-X00 Ebony and the TH-900? Especially in the treble area?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #11,593 of 12,086
Not sure of the differences between Mk2 and Mk3 Argons, but my Mk3s with the ZMF Lambskin pads are definitely cleaner/clearer with absolute tighter, and bloat free bass compareed to any TH-X00 I've heard. They are a dark sounding headphone in tone, but that doesn't effect their clarity, just perceived detail in the treble region.

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #11,595 of 12,086
Has anyone listened to the 1more Triple Driver Over-Ear and can compare them with Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany?

Strictly speaking on the sound and not the styling, both are pretty v-shaped but I'd say the Fostex is a definit step up. Both have a noticeable bump in the bass but the Fostex just has a better texture and control. Also, the treble is significantly better ("sparkle" or whatever you wanna call it) on the Fostex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back