1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767
769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778
Next

Last
  1. VRacer-111
    The attenuator rings were the same for both headphones, copied directly from the first set to make the second set of attenuators, so there was no change in size or shape.

Leather does breathe and feel better than pleather, but still not as breatheable as microfiber or Alcantara - ears will still be a little 'sweaty' but not 'pleather sweaty'. Alcantara is probably the best material I've come across for comfort in pads, it really does a great job for comfort. Thing is, with the TH-X00 the leather pads seem to sound the best to me, more open and breathable pads just don't sound the same because they simply lack the subbass experience you get with the leather pads. There are some pads I want to try out now from Yaxi since I love what their pad for the Koss Porta Pro does and would be willing to take a chance on them. They have both leather and Alcantara hybrid versions, so might as well get both...

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/th900-610/

I wear thin frame glasses and have not really experienced any differences in rubbing sounds between pads I've tried. I often try to listen without my glasses to since I'm near sighted and generally don't need them for seeing anything within arms reach.

2. SilverEars
    I wonder if there is velour out there? Lately, I've been liking what velour does to sounds.

Is the attenuation ring required? Or is it just necessary if you have a circular open instead of the stock oval? What happens if you open up the pads to be circular instead of oval?

Those attachment rings get pretty expensive with shipping. Is there cheaper way to attaining them?

3. theangelboy
    Thank you very much for the detailed response! I really appreciate the info on pad materials. It sounds like I won't be able to have my cake and eat it too when it comes to pads for this headphone. I'll either get the bass or the comfort of suede but not both. I guess I could always get both versions of the Ori and just sell the one I like the least. ZMF pads seem to have a pretty healthy resale value.

Those Yaxi pads look promising and are cheaper than ZMF pads but I wonder if the increased treble would be too much on a Purpleheart. Definitely something to consider, though.

4. Purplezorz
    Have you tried the Dekoni hybrid pads? They have a better seal and have more comfort as velour is touching your face which also means no sweaty pads.

I feel like you have more sensitive ears than mine, but any differences I heard between the sound of the original pads and these are negligible. I use EQ to pull back the bass (-3db around 62hz) and midbass (-2db around 125 hz), but 95% of my listening is bass heavy music and feel with normal music the reduction doesn't really yield any benefit. This is with the stock and Dekoni pads.

So, in conclusion, I highly recommend them, but of course, YMMV.

5. theangelboy
    I did consider Dekoni but I read somewhere that their ear hole openings are even smaller than stock pads and the stock pads already give me issue with not being roomy enough. With the softer foam and such it might not bother me as much but I don't know if it's worth the risk. However, if Massdrop does another drop for them soon I might bite.

6. Purplezorz
    The pads overall are bigger and deeper, but I believe the ear hole size itself is the same, as opposed to being smaller.

Unfortunately, I have relatively normal sized ears and my experience is that even though the top and bottom of my ears brush the boundaries of the ear cups, they're so comfy I've never felt it as an issue.

If a bigger ear hole size is what you want, you're gonna have to look elsewhere and consider those ZMF or...I've suddenly gone blank on the other popular brand...but yeah, try other brands - but I will still recommend this otherwise if you haven't tried it. I feel like the weird weight distribution issue that the can has is gone also.

Good luck man!

7. SonyFan121
    So out of curiosity, I decided to swap the cups of my Denon AH-D5000 and Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart. I was just curious to hear the differences to the sound. I'm glad I did because I prefer the resulting sound of the TH-X00 Purpleheart headphones with Denon AH-D5000 Mahogany cups compared to the Purpleheart cups. The sound signature is allot more natural, warmer, and the bass is tamed. The high's/treble has just the same level of detail though slightly more accurate and less bright, it's more natural. Imaging has improved also. Overall,- an improvement in all areas of sound quality except soundstage, which remains the same. And a warmer, more natural sound signature.
    I haven't heard any of the other Fostex Massdrop headphones but wouldn't be surprised if this TH-X00 with Denon Mahogany cups sounds the most natural of them all.

I think there's definitely something special about the warm, natural sound that the Denon Mahogany cups resonate. I spent years trying to figure out what it is, I came to the conclusion that it was most likely because of the lacquer they used on the inside of the cups, and how smooth it makes them. There is no lacquer applied to the inside of the Purpleheart cups and it's rougher, not smooth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  8. Pahani
    Ah, thanks for your impressions! Though not for me and my purposes with my X00, others here may find it useful.

In my case, I already have a standout neutral/natural setup with my Stax. My X00 PH's are expressly as a counterpart...NOT neutral, strictly for fun.

9. Carlsan
    Question for those of you in the know, are the Ebony's still being produced? I didn't see them in the latest go around at Massdrop.

10. cathee
    When the TH-X00 series was originally released on MD (before the removeable cable upgrade) I vaguely remember reading each different wood varient was made in limited amounts with the Ebonys being the most limited. So if I had to guess they're probably sold out.

11. theangelboy
    Okay, I'm going to need the help of some Fostex experts. I have a TR-X00 Purpleheart and I, rather stupidly, thought I would replace the stock headband padding with one that actually had padding. I starting removing the screws for the slide cover. The first one came out just fine, although it was tight. I tried the second one and I thought it was turning. After a couple of turns I looked to see how it was doing. It was totally stripped! I have never had a screw strip that fast or with that little effort. Well, now I really needed to get the screw out and replace it so they wouldn't void my warranty if I had to send it in. I tried lots of different methods, and, long story short, I finally got it out with a broken EZ-Out (a non-broken one didn't have the gripping power to get it out since the freaking screw was so soft). After all that I found out that the headband padding is glued to the slider cover. :face_palm:

Anyway, now I have it out I need to go about finding a replacement. I went on Full Compass and found this screw (https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/513200-fostex-8204552287-m2x3-screw-for-th-900) for a TH-900 slide cover. However, it's listed for a TH-900 and not a 600/610/X00. It looks similar but I don't know for sure. I would hate to spend $2 on a screw that doesn't work. Does anyone know if the TH-900 and X00 use the same screws and headband assembly? Here is a picture of the one I managed to get out and the slider cover it came out of. Sorry the picture isn't closer, that's as close as my phone would focus.
    20190216_205808.jpg 20190216_205538.jpg

Any advice on whether or not a TH-900 headband slider cover screw would work for a TR-X00 would be sincerely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

And in case you are wondering I have since given up my ideas of making custom headband padding. I will just buy one of those headband pads that Beyerdynamic headphones use or a pilot pad.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  12. Whitigir
    What you want is a Sugru and vice grip it for 24 hours, applied sugru in black and made a hole in the middle.

Then tomorrow come, try to screw it in bu the hole wit some forces

Just thinking out loud

13. theangelboy
    Thanks for the reply. However, I did manage to get the screw out, I just need to know if the TH-900 headband slider screw on Full Compass is compatible with my Purpleheart. I should have been more clear what advice I needed in my post. I will edit it so it makes more sense.

14. nicholars
    What do you think about Brainwavz angled sheepskin pads + custom attenuator + lawton mod on drivers?

Would this be a big improvement over the stock X00 mahogany?

I do not want any more treble or sibilance, I would like bigger soundstage, smoother / more detailed treble, cleaner bass.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

BTW I know you might recommend Ori pads, but they are 80 vs 40 for the Brainwavz, would both be an improvement over the stock pads?

Thanks.

Juan_R likes this.
  15. nicholars
    What about the Dekoni elite hybrid pads? They have leather on the inside and velour on the part that touches your head, are these any good for sound?

First

Back
758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767
769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778
Next

Last