Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 2, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #11,461 of 12,086
I've been enjoying my thx00 mahogany for 10 months now...low and behold, the headband gimble screw sheared off. Wondering if anybody has tried modding the headband at all? I have an extra Audeze Lcd-2 (old version)headband laying around, complete with yokes and yoke rods. I may attempt to do this, but I also have parts on the way from full compass to fix the damage. Any ideas or input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #11,462 of 12,086
I've been enjoying my thx00 mahogany for 10 months now...low and behold, the headband gimble screw sheared off. Wondering if anybody has tried modding the headband at all? I have an extra Audeze Lcd-2 (old version)headband laying around, complete with yokes and yoke rods. I may attempt to do this, but I also have parts on the way from full compass to fix the damage. Any ideas or input is appreciated.
I dont know exactly what the mod you want would entail, but I COULD NOT unscrew anything from my th900 except the screw where the earcups rotate. My screwdriver ate through the heads, like its soldered on. I advise checking how much you can actually take apart before getting any ideas...

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #11,465 of 12,086
How does the Fostex sound with the bass in this track?

Perfectly reproduced with my burnt in Purplehearts.
Some of the bass hits in this recording are weird - sounds distorted/clipped, but could just be a clicking sound and channel switching at the same time. I reckon the song just old af xD
With a bass EQ, this is even more fun.

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #11,466 of 12,086
Anyone compared the K553 to the TR-X00?

I'm looking for more oomph, more sub-bass from a closed headphone.

Also looking for more comfort and isolation. I can tell from the pics, they look plushy and comfy. But can't tell if they have any isolation, it's the weakness of the K553 for me and I have thicker pads on them too.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #11,468 of 12,086
They most definitely have more oomph than the AKG K553, isolation wise they are about the same

Poops. I enjoy the sound of my K553, but I want to be completely immersed and isolated. And 553 is far from that.

Was really hoping these Fostex would be it.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #11,469 of 12,086
Poops. I enjoy the sound of my K553, but I want to be completely immersed and isolated. And 553 is far from that.

Look at the Campfire Audio Cascade then... excellent isolation, comfort on par with TH-X00, and very nice bass impact and extension... plus has tuneable filters that come with it. Only issue I have with the Cascade (other than price) is it has wonky imaging (smaller sound stage than the TH-X00 with indeterminable locationing in the middle 1/3 of the soundstage) and is thusly absolutely HORRIBLE for gaming....

Or maybe the Modhouse Argon Mark 3.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #11,470 of 12,086

To me the K553 has just a bit more isolation than a TH-X00 but, and its a big but, the stock ear pads of the TH-X00 really suck to me, a bit hard and the opening is a bit small for most/many. I do like my K553 but with some ear pads the seal isn't that good so the bass suffers but with the TH-X00 the bass is there no matter what but I think for a closed headphone they don't isolate much since I could hear someone talking quite clearly but this is probably the reason they have a decent sound stage compared to most other closed headphones.

The K553 and THX00 are quite different sounding to me, K553 is a bit better balanced from lows to highs while the TH-X00 is a "V" shaped sound but quite fun but to me the stock ear pads are a deal breaker and while I didn't do too much pad rolling I found the TH-600 more to my liking.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #11,471 of 12,086
I dont know exactly what the mod you want would entail, but I COULD NOT unscrew anything from my th900 except the screw where the earcups rotate. My screwdriver ate through the heads, like its soldered on. I advise checking how much you can actually take apart before getting any ideas...

I found out that they use loctite thread sealing compound on the screws. No wonder you had issues with the screw heads. I haven't done anything yet, ordered replacement parts from full compass. If for some reason I cant repair using the new parts, then I will attempt to mod the headband. Either way, I'll report back so that others that may come across the same issue have a reference of solutions.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #11,472 of 12,086
Which of the 3 would be best for electronic music such as Progressive (Trance, House, Breaks & Techno)? Also which one of these has the most impactful bass? From what I could find online some say the Mahogany are more aggressive others that the Purplehearts hit deeper.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #11,473 of 12,086
Recently picked up both the ZMF Ori lambskin pads ($59) and the Brainwavz Sheepskin XL pads ($39), some quick and dirty comparisons with custom attenuators on both:

• Ori pads have distinctly more upper midrange and lower treble
  • Ori pads have distinctly fuller, fatter bass, and more upper-bass/lower-mid emphasis; Brainwavz are cleaner, tighter, tauter
  • Ori pads are closer to stock signature, with the Brainwavz being more balanced and neutral
    • Both are more balanced than stock, attenuating the treble emphasis to different degrees
  • Ori has a more upfront, forward presentation, and fun presentation; Brainwavz have a more relaxed presentation
  • Brainwavz have a much larger, more spacious soundstage, and much better instrument separation

TL;DR — Ori pads (with attenuators) are more fun, forward, intimate and closer to stock; Brainwavz XL sheepskins (with attenuators) are more balanced, refined, and more technically proficient overall.

Personally, I'm keeping the Brainwavz pads on just because of the impressive soundstage and improved instrument separation it offers. They also fix the treble emphasis on the stock pads that I found bothersome.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #11,474 of 12,086
Which of the 3 would be best for electronic music such as Progressive (Trance, House, Breaks & Techno)? Also which one of these has the most impactful bass? From what I could find online some say the Mahogany are more aggressive others that the Purplehearts hit deeper.

It should be indisputable that the Purplehearts have the most subbass impact of the three TH-X00 models and massive low end presence... the Mahogany has less and is a little more laid back and warmer/softer in its presentation. I own both Mahogany and Purplehearts, the Mahoganies will be used a a donor chassis for my Denon AH-D2000 refurbishing/modding. The Ebony version I haven't heard, but it would probably be my preference over the Mahogany due to cleaner, more balanced nature it is said to have from the others. So the choice from my perspective would be between the Purplehearts and Ebony for electronic music, as the Mahoganies are kind of the compromised middleground between the two others and warmer/softer.

Or maybe the Argon Mark 3, which I'm loving the more time I spend with mine, with the caveat being you need the right equipment to drive them properly and get them where they need to be.

Type of electronic music I like, and prefer on the Purplehearts/Argon over most any other headphone (STAX L300 Limited being the exception):

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #11,475 of 12,086
It should be indisputable that the Purplehearts have the most subbass impact of the three TH-X00 models and massive low end presence... the Mahogany has less and is a little more laid back and warmer/softer in its presentation. I own both Mahogany and Purplehearts, the Mahoganies will be used a a donor chassis for my Denon AH-D2000 refurbishing/modding. The Ebony version I haven't heard, but it would probably be my preference over the Mahogany due to cleaner, more balanced nature it is said to have from the others. So the choice from my perspective would be between the Purplehearts and Ebony for electronic music, as the Mahoganies are kind of the compromised middleground between the two others and warmer/softer.

Or maybe the Argon Mark 3, which I'm loving the more time I spend with mine, with the caveat being you need the right equipment to drive them properly and get them where they need to be.

Type of electronic music I like, and prefer on the Purplehearts/Argon over most any other headphone (STAX L300 Limited being the exception):

Thanks for that I've had my eyes on the Purplehearts and there is just so much stuff being said online that its hard to gauge what's what with the added difficulty of not being able to test and or return items to massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back