1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765
767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776
Next

Last
  1. Purplezorz
    The pads have dropped again from Dekoni.

You know, after going back through these posts and others from all over, the general consensus seems to be the ZMF ORI Lambskin (which I assume is the same as sheep) pads, but you need a custom ring for it.
    I heard the hybrids on the TH900s at a show this year vs stock and OMG the difference was insane, so that's why I was thinking of getting the hybrids for my Purplehearts.

But after all that reading and such, I've put them on my head and after what is coming up to an hour, they've pretty much disappeared (not HD800S disappear or anything like that), to the point where I question if I should even bother, because the stock pads are actually fine.
    I don't have big ears and I only wear glasses that filter out blue light, so that's 99% of the moaners comfort-wise. I can definitely see how people with large ears would get ear pain quickly though. One of the posts mentioned that people with small ears = stock medium = Dekoni large = ZMF.

The only thing I don't really like about the stock pads after getting used to them on my head is the fact that they sweat so easily. I don't feel it, but I just find it strange haha, so that's another point for the hybrids.
    In regards to sound signature, I'm a basshead at heart, but I have my V-Modas for extremes, so these are more for critical listening sessions so my EQ takes -2db off the midbass, -3db off the bass and actually +1db for the sub bass. Sounds like the "reduction" or "increase" created by different pads are mainly around the bass region, so this may be the first time I might actually consider a mod that will decrease it since I already have -3db in that region.

Whilst the weight distribution with this can is definitely "unique", it's not particularly uncomfortable to the extremes it has been described. Seems like the pilot pad is a bit of a hit and miss from ZMF in regards to the Fostex cans, so I will give it a miss.

Think I'll pick up the Hybrid pads though and see what happens. No one (ok maybe one or two people ever) have said the Beyerdynamic DT 770s are uncomfortable, so what's the worst that can happen :D

*sigh* ignorance is bliss :')

2. muscleking
    good you post about earpads. i just got the first gen purple hearts used and came with original pads. my ear is not overly big and there is no way my ear can go inside the earpads. sits partially on and in. almost like over/on ear hybrid. sounds pretty good but need to test more home tonight. so what's the best "big" pads to get for this? i want to maintain good sound isolation since will be used in office. i saw the pads on massdrop and the more expensive model has holes on the leather. that one definitely looks like will leak sound. i recently got a hd800 and it has the biggest cup out of all my headphones. and that's how it should be for over ear seriously.

3. koover
    Try the ZMF Ori pads.

4. muscleking
    Thanks i will look into that one.
    so for the stock pad. do you wear it such that it's on your ear or do you stuff your ear inside? i am doing that now and it gets a little hot, sounds good and probably the best seal this way. the bass is pretty strong on these. i like it.

5. Zbell
    Yes pretty much. I have medium sized ears and the dekoni pads work great. In terms of leaking sound, these headphones are pretty much semi-open, so regardless of what pads you choose there will be sound getting in and out. I have the fenestrated sheepskin and they're awesome and a very balanced sound signature while retaining the bass impact. However I've heard the dekoni regular sheepskin pads are also great with a little more bass and a lot of people seem to like the ori pads too.

6. muscleking
    I put these through audeze deckard right now. seems like good match. i'll shop around for some pads and look at the massdrop one. seems to have 2 more days to get the pad. very little discount on those pads though. i think i will live with the stock pads for a bit first then do some rolling. we have people playing old radio player with speaker at low volume in order to work and i am about 5m away i can hear some distorted noise. a bit annoying lol. i think he stopped doing that now. but another guy have temp problem and turn on heater even in summer because of AC in office. so i think this headphone is not bad. i will ask around see if people can hear it. i am playing at very low volume, just enough to get some bass. i just sold my audeze sine ligntning and then got these. both are very good fun sound signature. i don't think i want to try any more headphones. look at my stuff, i bought most of the headphones in the last 3 months lol. except the stax 4170 i had for 4 years.

7. SilverEars
    Where to find the adapters for them?

8. koover
    You know, I’m not sure. I got the pads off a friend and they were already installed in the pads. I truly thought they were part of the deal when buying them. Never bought them myself but they sure sound great on my purpleheart.

Edit: When I just went to this link, it states they come with them.

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/ori-pads

9. Zbell
    You can buy the attachment rings from dekoni and from fullcompass.com. I don't remember what the serial number is, but I'm pretty sure it's the same attachment ring as on the th600/900. Dekoni also sells a attunement ring that is basically a plastic circle that fits between the attachment ring and pads which will increase bass. Hope this helps!

10. SoundHelmet
    I am in a similar boat. I never found stock Thx00 uncomfortable. Maybe the pads were a little firm.

I did still get the Dekoni sheepskin pads due CSkippy measurements which showed that the Dekoni pads smoothed out the treble.
    Now the thx00 are the most comfortable headphone i own (i.e compared to DT-770, Focal Elex and Akg7xx)

Purplezorz likes this.
  11. DavidA
  12. SilverEars
    This is the cheapest offering for the plastics? I need one for Hifiman HE-500 (the classic Hifiman form factor, HE-6, HE-500, HE-4, HE-5, etc..). Because I got some ZMF pads, and would like to try them on my HE-500 and TH-X00.

13. DavidA
    Hifiman mounting rings: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html

14. shampoosuicide
    I have both the ZMF Ori pads and Brainwavz Sheepskin XL pads, and while the Ori pads are great, the Brainwavz pads have a significantly larger soundstage and a better balanced midrange.

I initially had attenuation rings installed on the pads, but I've removed them as they boosted the bass and lower mids and attenuated (lol) the treble too much.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  15. matti55
    Does anyone have experience with both Eikon and Ori pads on the TH-X00/TR-X00 (mahogany in particular)? Interested in which one would be better. Either with or without attenuation rings.

First

Back
756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765
767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776
Next

Last