Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 11, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #11,101 of 12,086
I'm just glad you got there in the end. Your description might just help someone else one day
Thanx
I almost feel I should make a stand-alone short thread for this as I believe this has happened to many and probably more to come.
I haven’t seen anything on this site about fixing this issue andd it seems it’s happened to many others. I truly thought these were goners. :)

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #11,102 of 12,086
Thanx
I almost feel I should make a stand-alone short thread for this as I believe this has happened to many and probably more to come.
I haven’t seen anything on this site about fixing this issue andd it seems it’s happened to many others. I truly thought these were goners. :)

You should! That's an important (and probably common-ish) repair so I'm sure many people would appreciate it.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #11,103 of 12,086
Is it just me or does anyone else find the ZMF Ori pads makes the THX00 sound thin with less bass? Anyone here using attenuators with these pads?

Not Ori but close enough... Eikon pads without attenuators doesn't sound good at all.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #11,104 of 12,086
Is it just me or does anyone else find the ZMF Ori pads makes the THX00 sound thin with less bass? Anyone here using attenuators with these pads?

Not Ori but close enough... Eikon pads without attenuators doesn't sound good at all.

Sealing issue with different pads on different heads I guess... And of course personal perception.
Ori (without attenuators) actually gives me significantly more sub-bass and soundstage than stock pads, and maybe a touch more brightness, which is to my liking.
But honestly my perception is in minority.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #11,105 of 12,086
Boy did I waste a lot of time and money on Dekoni Sheepskin and Fenestrated Sheepskin pads. On my ebony, I much prefer the stock pads' sound.

On the regular sheepskin, it added a bunch of 5kHz glare that wasn't pleasant. The tuning rings actually made this worse. The fenestrated sheepskin just shaved -6db out of the low end entirely, with or without the tuning rings. They were comfortable on the ear, but not in the ear...

It's wild how different the Dekoni pads react to a given headphone. The fenestrated sheepskin warms up the HD650 too much but thins out the TH-X00.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #11,106 of 12,086
i-HtmWFxh-X3.jpg

i-FR3DwSP.jpg

Got in the Lawton Tune-up and installed it and the Palo Santo raw cups on my second Purpleheart a few hours ago. Back to back simultaneous comparison with them my Purpleheart (both on stock pads) on the TASCAM MH-8 and I do overall prefer the Purpleheart over the Palo Santo, though Palo Santo is by no means bad and brings its own nice sound to the TH-X00. Palo Santo seems more along the line of Mahogany, doesn't have the 'Hi-res' sound or punch of Purpleheart. It's softer, warmer, with less bass/subbass impact. I'd probably put it in between Mahogany and Purpleheart for it's sound signature... Think I'll try the ZMF Ori pads on it, will probably work better on it than the Purpleheart - it could use a pad that will tighten up the detail which also is more neutral and balanced than the Jmoney V3. The Jmoney V3 setup isn't as good on it as it is on the Purplehearts. The look and smell of Palo Santo is pretty awesome though...

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #11,108 of 12,086
Hi guys!
I want to recable my X00 Ebony. Now I have Moon Audio Silver Dragon, is it good choice over stock cable? Prefer lively midrange and softer highs.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #11,109 of 12,086
Hi guys!
I want to recable my X00 Ebony. Now I have Moon Audio Silver Dragon, is it good choice over stock cable? Prefer lively midrange and softer highs.

I have a Silver Dragon as well. IMO it goes very well with darker headphones, initially I bought it for my Z1R. It brings out highs a bit more than most conventional materials and also firms up bass in most headphones. Now for the TH-X00, it depends on your preference. Personally, I think the TH-X00 definitely benefits from a firmer bass, as its bass can be a bit flabby at times. But the TH-X00's trebles are already quite hot in my view so I would not use a silver cable as it further accentuates trebles. Just my 2 cents.

I mostly use a Sony Kimber cable on my TH-X00. Funnily enough that cable is a very bad choice for Sony's own Z1R and Z7, because it is a darker cable that doesn't complement Sony's sound signature well at all IMO. But on the TH-X00 I find it perfect. It tames the highs a bit and the bass is very structured. The added benefit is if you use Lumberg jacks for the headphone, it screws on like it does on the Sony's, as the thread sizes are the same.

See below to get an idea. These are my Denon AH-D 7000's, with the same mod and Kimber cable.

By the way, I am selling my TH-X00 with the reterminated original cable as seen in the last pic. Anyone interested, please pm me :wink:

20180105_124817.jpg

20180113_130744.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #11,110 of 12,086
Black Dragon gives more mids than the Silver Dragon. I prefer Lawtons top of the line cable over Moons cables.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #11,111 of 12,086
I have my ebonies for a month and a half now, and Audio-GD R2R 11 dac/amp for a month. The sound is unbelievable good! And I am getting used to it even more every day.

I was looking through this thread for a while, modding and pad rolling sounds interesting. I will totaly dampen the driver housing, maybe even get some Ori pads, not sure yet.
I hope the Lawton mod is worth $45 with shipping. Is it removable?

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #11,112 of 12,086
i-HtmWFxh-X3.jpg

i-FR3DwSP.jpg

Got in the Lawton Tune-up and installed it and the Palo Santo raw cups on my second Purpleheart a few hours ago. Back to back simultaneous comparison with them my Purpleheart (both on stock pads) on the TASCAM MH-8 and I do overall prefer the Purpleheart over the Palo Santo, though Palo Santo is by no means bad and brings its own nice sound to the TH-X00. Palo Santo seems more along the line of Mahogany, doesn't have the 'Hi-res' sound or punch of Purpleheart. It's softer, warmer, with less bass/subbass impact. I'd probably put it in between Mahogany and Purpleheart for it's sound signature... Think I'll try the ZMF Ori pads on it, will probably work better on it than the Purpleheart - it could use a pad that will tighten up the detail which also is more neutral and balanced than the Jmoney V3. The Jmoney V3 setup isn't as good on it as it is on the Purplehearts. The look and smell of Palo Santo is pretty awesome though...
Nothing beats the Purplehearts with the dampening and Ori pads unless you got the Jmoney's which hands down sound fantastic compared to every other pad. Best combo for this HP. Nice job man, they look really sweet. I was wondering what you were going to do to these when you picked up the second pair.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #11,113 of 12,086
I have my ebonies for a month and a half now, and Audio-GD R2R 11 dac/amp for a month. The sound is unbelievable good! And I am getting used to it even more every day.

I was looking through this thread for a while, modding and pad rolling sounds interesting. I will totaly dampen the driver housing, maybe even get some Ori pads, not sure yet.
Yes, you can remove it no problem.
I believe you won't want to, especially if you get the Ori pads. But I own the Purplehearts and don't know what the Ebony's sound like with these 2 mods. I'm sure they'll sound really good so if you'd ever be so kind to let everyone know how you like it when you're done, we'd all appreciate it. :metal:

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #11,114 of 12,086
… I was looking through this thread for a while, modding and pad rolling sounds interesting. I will totaly dampen the driver housing, maybe even get some Ori pads, not sure yet.
My take from this thread is that the Lawton sound mod is very good if you don't use the cup damping material but just the rest which goes on the metal and plastic parts of the driver. In which case it is cheaper to email and special order from Lawton as he offers the cup less solution for about half the price.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #11,115 of 12,086
My take from this thread is that the Lawton sound mod is very good if you don't use the cup damping material but just the rest which goes on the metal and plastic parts of the driver. In which case it is cheaper to email and special order from Lawton as he offers the cup less solution for about half the price.

For $29 to be accurate, and 16,5 for shipping.

@koover I will let you know, but that will possibly be in a month or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back