Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #11,086 of 12,086
That sucks!!! :triportsad:

@koover, that's a real bummer, hope you can get a replacement part.

Ouch koover, that is sad

Sonofa......

That SUCKS, I know you enjoy your modded PH's as much as I do :frowning2:

Maybe a small dab of JB Weld, and a Dremel to touch it up?

I can tell you that JB Weld worked amazingly well when I knocked the drain valve out of the radiator of a car I used to have. I ran that car for a year after that, no leaks no problems. If it can hold up to 16psi for a year, that fix should be no sweat.

Ouch...but hey, get a replacement hanger and it can be good as new...

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/501287-Fostex-1412548286

Thanx all you guys. I knew I could get some comfort from those who "could" know the feeling if it happened to them. I can now sleep again.
V...thanx for the link. I ordered 2 sets just in case. Unbelievable how it broke so perfectly without even losing even the smallest little piece. I figured I lucked out and tried super gluing it but that didn't work....of course. Well I'm just a few days from my replacement rings and as you said V, should be like new again. Thanx again for that link bro!

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #11,087 of 12,086
That's a bit harsh. It not like they purposefully sent you the wrong pads. I appreciate the ability to buy some audio gear form them.

Same thing happened to me. It's not Massdrop's fault. It is shipped directly from the supplier, so it them that messed up. Massdrop has no stock so couldn't send replacement. They offered a refund or I could keep it and they return $15 plus a $5 Massdrop credit for future a purchase. I was set tu return it when a Dekoni Rep replied to my comment on Massdrop. He told me to contact them through their web site and they would fix it. They did, due to the holidays I just received my replacement.

Kudos to Dekoni for being proactive in reaching out to me to fix the situation. I'd advise you contact them, I'm sure they would be eager to help fix the issue.
Kudos to Dekoni for being proactive in reaching out to me to fix the situation. I'd advise you contact them, I'm sure they would be eager to help fix the issue.
Contacted Dekoni directy as per suggestions and they sent me Th-x00 pads and allowed me to leave the th-900 pads as well.
Tried the th-900 shipskin today and there is something missing compared to stock. Probably will sell them

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #11,089 of 12,086
Hi, i have a Philips Fidelio x2, is fostex x00 a good upgrade? Or is better buy a top level headphone?
I have a Philips Fidelio X1 which is very similar to the X2. When I bought my Fostex TH-X00 the X1 was pushed aside and has not been used in almost 2 years. The TH-X00 has stronger deeper BASS, clarity in the midrange and nice treble compared to the X1. It’s up to you if you want to go for a TH-X00 which is definite upgrade over X1 or if you want to climb higher up the headphone ladder $$$$.

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #11,090 of 12,086
I agree, it depends what you want from your headphones. The TH-X00 has the biggest, deepest bass of any headphone I’ve heard (and I upgraded to the “bass-centric” $1000 ZMF Atticus). It can be a bit shrill in the highs if you have a weak or bright source, and while the mids are there they’re not exactly forward, but it’s a fairly balanced headphone and like I said, you won’t find better bass for $1500 let alone $400.

My suggestion would be to keep your X2 and buy the TH-X00 if budget allows. The X2 will complement the closed TH-X00 very nicely with its bigger soundstage and better imaging, and you’ll be able to listen to a wider range of music with the two headphones rather than one.

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #11,093 of 12,086
Hi, i have a Philips Fidelio x2, is fostex x00 a good upgrade? Or is better buy a top level headphone?

Owned the X2 and currently own the TH-X00 Ebony. Both are good and offer a fun listen. I think the TH-X00 EB are better and of course more pricey. The X2 where fun but did have a bit of unevenness that sounded odd at times, I wasn't sure what it was until Tyle of Inner Fidelity mention it at in some video. Between the two I'd got for the TH-X00 myself, though the X2 will have a bigger stage, but it not something I miss really.

Having said that, I would not make it the TH-X00 my only headphone. It's fun but I also want something more neutral-ish and less bass heavy. I still enjoy the more neutral sounding but excellent bass of my HE-500 above all my other headphones.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #11,094 of 12,086
Totally forgot.
My replacement ebony from massdrop appeared with totally different earcups. Also the cable from one of the cup is a bit shorter (~0.5cm)
Not sure if they could be replaced as massdrop site says that there could be minor differences in the wood (although to me it is major differences)

IMG_20180105_231025.jpg IMG_20180105_231003.jpg

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #11,095 of 12,086
I just measured my largest headphone, the M1060, and its 9 in x 8 in x 4.5 in. So you would want an inch or two larger in every interior dimension is give sufficient padding. So the minimum interior box dimensions for a universal headphone box would be 10 x 9 x 5.5 inches. The only headphones that I think would be bigger than the M1060 would be the Audeze LCD series because they have same size driver but bigger cups, the Hifiman HE-1000, and probably most of the Staxs Electrostatic phones. A 10 x 9 x 5.5 or larger box should easily fit the purple hearts but you might have to get creative with the vacuum cleaner cable if it's the minimum size. I hope that helps!

Aloha!

My apologies for not coming back to you sooner to say a HUGE thank you for taking the time to measure the Monoliths for dimensions. I was of course just about to get my ruler out as well but hoped there would be Dims for the Fostex THX00 PH somewhere!

I will be hunting myself, but does anyone know or can suggest a good case which will be a universal headphone case to me with minimum internal dimensions of 10 x 9 x 5.5 inches? I am based in the UK but will import if needs must.

Thank you very much indeed for any and all help or advice :)

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #11,098 of 12,086
What a PITA but we actually got it fixed. Almost took 2 hours to do, with VERY tedious delicate work. There’s these little tiny like 1/2 clamps that are glued on over the rivot that holds the hanger to the driver housing. Have to scrape off the glue like substance then take some needle nose pliers, carefully removing the rivot.
After removing , it imperative you go ahead and place the new hanger on before you put anything else together. If you don’t, there’s not enough wiggle room to work with your jewelers screwdriver to get the larger spring loaded bolt into the hanger opening.

Slapped a weeeee bit of gorilla glue over the 1/2 rivot and it seems to be holding just fine.
There is hope if you have the patients to do this.

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #11,100 of 12,086
What a PITA but we actually got it fixed. Almost took 2 hours to do, with VERY tedious delicate work. There’s these little tiny like 1/2 clamps that are glued on over the rivot that holds the hanger to the driver housing. Have to scrape off the glue like substance then take some needle nose pliers, carefully removing the rivot.
After removing , it imperative you go ahead and place the new hanger on before you put anything else together. If you don’t, there’s not enough wiggle room to work with your jewelers screwdriver to get the larger spring loaded bolt into the hanger opening.

Slapped a weeeee bit of gorilla glue over the 1/2 rivot and it seems to be holding just fine.
There is hope if you have the patients to do this.
I'm just glad you got there in the end. Your description might just help someone else one day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back