Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #10,066 of 12,086
I haven't heard the TH610 but compared to my HD650, the TH-X00 has significantly more bass, mostly sub bass.  it's like a club or movie theater type sound.  Very good for movies obviously.  It also has some of that sparkle from excellent treble extension and a little 10kHz spike.  

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #10,067 of 12,086
Anyone compare to the X00 Mahogany to the TH610's? I just got the 610's in and they're pretty tame on bass. Equal to my HD650's. I'm looking for some god damn OOMPH out of bass and sub bass.  Something at least equal to the Fidelio X2's. I was expecting more bass than the X2's for it being a closed back on the 610's. Highly disappointed. Hopefully the x00 has more bass. How are the highs compared too? I love the highs from the 610's. Nice and airy like my ribbon tweeters in my bookshelf speakers.
TH900 has the best bass, sub bass and bass slam. For some treble is extended but one can easily eq the treble or a simple mod.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #10,068 of 12,086
Anyone compare to the X00 Mahogany to the TH610's? I just got the 610's in and they're pretty tame on bass. Equal to my HD650's. I'm looking for some god damn OOMPH out of bass and sub bass.  Something at least equal to the Fidelio X2's. I was expecting more bass than the X2's for it being a closed back on the 610's. Highly disappointed. Hopefully the x00 has more bass. How are the highs compared too? I love the highs from the 610's. Nice and airy like my ribbon tweeters in my bookshelf speakers.

I don't get a chance for head to head comparison, but TH610 is closer in sound to TH-X00 IMO, I think both should have more bass than HD650. My TH-X00 is certainly more bassy than HD6XX I had. But agree with above posters, if you are looking for the best bass, then TH900 is worth a look.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #10,069 of 12,086
Guys, how does TH-X00 work with low-powered sources like cheapo PC soundcard or smartphone? Not really expecting to get 100% out of them there, but will they be loud enough to hear things, being efficient and all?

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #10,070 of 12,086
  Guys, how does TH-X00 work with low-powered sources like cheapo PC soundcard or smartphone? Not really expecting to get 100% out of them there, but will they be loud enough to hear things, being efficient and all?

They are very efficient.  Either a PC or Phone will probably be OK.  If they do not get as loud as you wish then you would want to look at an additional amp...

beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #10,072 of 12,086
  Read about 50 pages of this tread. Joined a drop. 
beerchug.gif

Welcome to club.  They are good cans.  You did not go wrong...

L3000.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #10,073 of 12,086
  Read about 50 pages of this tread. Joined a drop. 
beerchug.gif

Make sure to pick up a pair of Dekoni earpads and attenuation rings when they become available on Massdrop again.

They take the SQ and comfort of the TH-X00 to a completely new level!

http://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-premium-ear-pads-fostex-th-x00/

http://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-attenuation-ring-use-fostex-massdrop-x00-th610-th900-headphones/

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #10,074 of 12,086

Yea, it's fine. I had an Audeze Deckard and I could tell little to on difference between amped and directly in my PC. I can't imagine wanting it louder unless you wanna go deaf.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #10,075 of 12,086
Apr 15, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #10,076 of 12,086
Hey Buddy-

So you like the Dekonis better than the ZMF Ori pads?

​I haven't tried the Ori pads, so I couldn't say.

IME, it's extremely rare for a pad that wasn't specifically designed for the headphone it is going to be used with to sound any better than the stock pads. To my ear, they usually end up sounding worse, or just 'different'.  The nice thing about the Dekoni pads (along with the attenuation rings) is that they were custom designed specifically for the TH-X00 exclusively for Massdrop, which is why they can only be purchased from Massdrop.

I had actually put my TH-X00 up for sale, but after hearing them with the Dekoni pads and rings, I was amazed at how much better they sounded and how much more comfortable they became.  Are they perfect now?  Of course not!  Their low bass is still a little too boomy, but even this problem area might be improved by Dekoni's upcoming fenestrated (a.k.a. perforated) leather and velour pads for them.  But from around 80Hz on up, they sound great, and are now one of my favorite closed-backs that I've heard at any price.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #10,077 of 12,086
​I haven't tried the Ori pads, so I couldn't say.

IME, it's extremely rare for a pad that wasn't specifically designed for the headphone it is going to be used with to sound any better than the stock pads. To my ear, they usually end up sounding worse, or just 'different'.  The nice thing about the Dekoni pads (along with the attenuation rings) is that they were custom designed specifically for the TH-X00 exclusively for Massdrop, which is why they can only be purchased from Massdrop.

I had actually put my TH-X00 up for sale, but after hearing them with the Dekoni pads and rings, I was amazed at how much better they sounded and how much more comfortable they became.  Are they perfect now?  Of course not!  Their low bass is still a little too boomy, but even this problem area might be improved by Dekoni's upcoming fenestrated (a.k.a. perforated) leather and velour pads for them.  But from around 80Hz on up, they sound great, and are now one of my favorite closed-backs that I've heard at any price. :D  
On which tracks are the bass sounding too boomy?

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #10,078 of 12,086

Fostex 1412548286

TH600 Hanger

OUR PART #  1412548286

For Parts Assistance, call 800-356-5844 and press "3" or email parts@fullcompass.com
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/501287-Fostex-1412548286

I dont know if you're in US

or if they deliver outside US

I think that it could be same??

Hi guys,

I've got the massdrop th-x00 ebony, unfortunately my experience hasn't been great...

I initially noticed that although the overall volume was the same left and right was pretty much the same left and right, the left driver appeared to have less midrange, ie, unfavourable frequency respons...

Upon testing different pads I happened to notice that the "dust cap" on the left cone looked as though someone had pressed it in with their finger on assembly, something which could only have happened during assembly at the factory given there's a protective metal mesh over the speaker...

What I SHOULD have done was contact massdrop and get it replaced, but I live in Australia and I didn't wanna wait another 6 weeks to get them replaced... so I decided to fix it myself...

I removed the paper damping from the left driver and pressed it back to its original shape, in doing so I had to find another damping material to cover the centre hole on the back of the magnet.

Wondering if anyone has some experience with modding the damping on these? I feel like it could be better... they never sounded amazing, I have a heavily modded T50RP mk3 which blows my th-x00's to pieces, I was kinda expecting to be more impressed with the th-x00. I'm part way through an audio engineering degree and I had hoped the th-X00 would be a good reference...

Does anyone have any ideas what material I might be able to try for damping?

To make matters worse, the hanger broke on my pair as well, the force required? Almost none, they were resting on my bed and I went to pick them up by the cup, to my surprise I picked up ONLY the right cup, the metal hinge appears to me made from dry cheese...

I'm bitterly disappointed, I feel as though both of these incidents are an indication of poor quality control, the poked dust cap is unacceptable, but the cup hanger defies belief, at no point did I stress this part, I can not think of a single moment that may have stressed the component enough to justify it breaking, including picking them up by the cup, you'd think the metal would be strong enough to hold its own weight...

I'm stupid for not sending them back straight after noticing the damaged cone, now that I've tried to fix them myself I haven't bothered contacting massdrop since I'm guessing my warranty is void.... but whatever, I can fix them...

The hanger I can get myself, so the real question is does anyone know what material is best for damping to achieve controlled bass response and crisp detailed highs and mids?

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #10,079 of 12,086
TH-X00 is the wrong headphone for reference, unless you like exaggerated bass and a weird treble.  It's certainly not the worst, but is definitely downward tilted and has issues with mid/treble smoothness.  

I'm not sure about the pushed in dust cap, but if you disassemble them, you might be able to blow from the back and push it back out.  I've done this on my HD650 but am not sure how the TH-X00 is constructed.  

Damping maybe with dynamate in the rear of the cups and add some acoustic fiber (not cotton) to reduce internal reflections/boominess.  

I feel like HD600 is a great reference can, what other headphones do you have?  Also, what is your source/amp?  

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #10,080 of 12,086
TH-X00 is the wrong headphone for reference, unless you like exaggerated bass and a weird treble.  It's certainly not the worst, but is definitely downward tilted and has issues with mid/treble smoothness.  

I'm not sure about the pushed in dust cap, but if you disassemble them, you might be able to blow from the back and push it back out.  I've done this on my HD650 but am not sure how the TH-X00 is constructed.  

Damping maybe with dynamate in the rear of the cups and add some acoustic fiber (not cotton) to reduce internal reflections/boominess.  

I feel like HD600 is a great reference can, what other headphones do you have?  Also, what is your source/amp?  

I've already fixed the dust cap by removing the paper covering the centre hole on the back of the magnet and pressing it back to shape with a cue tip.

The paper was damaged upon removal, there was no other way to get at the dent without removing it, but I found a replacement material that sounded identical to the right speaker, this wasn't much of a problem and I was satisfied with the repair...

However I still wasn't pleased with the overall sound signature, coming from my T50RP's the bass sounds underdamped and a little boomy - this is to be expected I guess, can't compare planar bass to dynamic... so I began experimenting with other materials to cover the hole.

I had some interesting results, as you'd expect during a mod process. Some materials overdamped the bass, resulting in what might be 'tight and punchy' if it weren't pushed so far into the background, others were too loose resulting in boom and sloppy mids... so I ended up going back to stock with no damping inside the cup.

I agree that they aren't a great reference, not in their stock state, and admittedly modding them to try and create a reference may be fruitless... I read that many consider the ebonies to be the most neutral, whilst this may be true - I haven't heard any of the other other th-series - 'most neutral' doesn't necessarily mean 'reference'...

As for my headphones, heavily modified T50RP's, Philips shp9500, hifi man he-350, and a bunch of IEMs.

My source and amps, creative X7 dac/amp, it's ok, far from ideal, and a repurposed rotel hifi amp which has been surprisingly good although it's not really a headphone amp.

I'm still building my collection, it's far from endgame. I love my T50RP's though, I'm interested in the HD600's, HD800's, HE-400s (or used HE-400), monolith m1060... as for amps and dacs I like the sound of the lake people dac/amp, forgot the model name but I think it's a loosely based improvement on the O2 design.

I'm open to suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back