Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #10,037 of 12,086

Are these protein/PU leather or actual leather?

I'm tempted to give the TH-900 style Dekoni sheepskins a try (dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-fostex-th900-elite-sheepskin-replacement-memory-foam-ear-pad-set/) right now, but these look interesting also.

The pads are not real leather, so probably protein/PU. I guess it is difficult to find real leather pads for less than $25.

The TH-900 Deconi pads look really well too, and they are made for (almost the) same Biocellulose driver so my guess is they will work better that ZMF Omni.

The are angled though so this comes closer to the stock pads than the ones I have.    

That said, I really like the pads I use and recommended: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-Replacement-Ear-Pad-EarPads-Cushion-For-FOSTEX-TH900-TH900mk2-Headphone-/142073428333?var=&hash=item21143c796d:m:mAMA44BtdRxAdjnhwsiSz9Q

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #10,038 of 12,086

The pads are not real leather, so probably protein/PU. I guess it is difficult to find real leather pads for less than $25.

The TH-900 Deconi pads look really well too, and they are made for (almost the) same Biocellulose driver so my guess is they will work better that ZMF Omni.

The are angled though so this comes closer to the stock pads than the ones I have.    

That said, I really like the pads I use and recommended: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-Replacement-Ear-Pad-EarPads-Cushion-For-FOSTEX-TH900-TH900mk2-Headphone-/142073428333?var=&hash=item21143c796d:m:mAMA44BtdRxAdjnhwsiSz9Q

That would be the second option for $33, I assume?

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #10,039 of 12,086
Apr 5, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #10,041 of 12,086

How well do these pads breathe?

It's starting to warm up in NJ, and I need pads that are relatively cool.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #10,042 of 12,086
How well do these pads breathe?

It's starting to warm up in NJ, and I need pads that are relatively cool.

Fresh spring here so too early to tell. Probably will be a small step back with regards to breathing/coolness compared to stock pads or on par. They will of course not beat velour - the Fidelio X2 were great in that department.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #10,043 of 12,086
Purpleheart is back on Massdrop for the next 7 days:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #10,045 of 12,086
  How do Purple heart compare with 610's? is there more bass and how are the high's?

There's definitely going to be a lot more highs - the driver on the X00 isn't dampened, and the cups are blank rather than stuffed with cotton.
Bass, I think the X00 has a bigger midbass bump, while the 610 extends deeper and has more prominent sub-bass.

The 610 also has bigger openings in the pads and a detachable cable, but that's not really related to the sound I suppose.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #10,046 of 12,086
There's definitely going to be a lot more highs - the driver on the X00 isn't dampened, and the cups are blank rather than stuffed with cotton.
Bass, I think the X00 has a bigger midbass bump, while the 610 extends deeper and has more prominent sub-bass.

The 610 also has bigger openings in the pads and a detachable cable, but that's not really related to the sound I suppose.

Cotton, or synthetic acoustical stuffing? like used in speakers to increase the mass of the air thereby simulating a larger internal volume, thereby squeezing more lows out of a smaller rear box volume. (Explains your comment about the lowest octaves)

"bigger openings in the pads" have an enormous effect on the sound.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #10,047 of 12,086
Cotton, or synthetic acoustical stuffing? like used in speakers to increase the mass of the air thereby simulating a larger internal volume, thereby squeezing more lows out of a smaller rear box volume. (Explains your comment about the lowest octaves)

"bigger openings in the pads" have an enormous effect on the sound.

The damping material on the driver is a form of foam (looks similar to Silverstone foam), the cup is cotton for all I can tell, but I am not an expert in that kind of thing so take that with a tablespoon of sea salt.

Pad openings I didn't found to make much a difference, since it's the same overall shape, but maybe a bit under a centimeter wider than the X00 - I had the Dekoni X00 sheepskin pads, and the difference was negligible, aside from the natural shortcomings of anything without the sown-in attenuation plate.

I did a brief disassembly of my 610 a while ago, you can see some pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/AibYn

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #10,048 of 12,086
  Here you go guys, the attenuator discs: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2230350

So I had these printed and just paired them up with the Dekoni sheepskin pads and it brought the sound back to where it was with the stock pads. It's amazing, I've been sitting on these pads for months because without the discs, the bass got murdered. It was a shame too, because I loved the feel of the Dekoni's but didn't like what it did to the bass. You have no idea how awesome it is to finally be able to enjoy Dekoni pads now. That's why I got super excited when I saw them on /r/headphones.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #10,049 of 12,086
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #10,050 of 12,086
So I had these printed and just paired them up with the Dekoni sheepskin pads and it brought the sound back to where it was with the stock pads. It's amazing, I've been sitting on these pads for months because without the discs, the bass got murdered. It was a shame too, because I loved the feel of the Dekoni's but didn't like what it did to the bass. You have no idea how awesome it is to finally be able to enjoy Dekoni pads now. That's why I got super excited when I saw them on /r/headphones.
Printed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back