Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 14, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #10,051 of 12,086
So I had these printed and just paired them up with the Dekoni sheepskin pads and it brought the sound back to where it was with the stock pads. It's amazing, I've been sitting on these pads for months because without the discs, the bass got murdered. It was a shame too, because I loved the feel of the Dekoni's but didn't like what it did to the bass. You have no idea how awesome it is to finally be able to enjoy Dekoni pads now. That's why I got super excited when I saw them on /r/headphones.

Thx you for sharing
Really good news and hope :)

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #10,052 of 12,086

Which Dekoni pads, the ones from Massdrop?  I bought these but the screw up the frequency response too much...

https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio-Fostex-Sheepskin-Replacement/dp/B01N2NXVJJ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_23_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VV9Y5J6X1537K7NS19N5

Check out my signature for other pads on the TH-X00.

Yeah, after I grabbed a pair of the Purplehearts, I got these in the first run from Massdrop, I picked them up and then shelved them because they killed the bass. The discs that inertianinja posted bring it back. To my ears, the outstanding differences are too subtle for me to care. I did, however, take your advice on the M1060's with the Audeze Vegan Pads and added a paper towel to the inside,rather than the outside, and it sounds a lot better too. I got the Vegan pads mostly because there was a lot of pressure from the stock pads that made it really uncomfortable for my ear drums.

Yeah, I had the mounting rings and the discs 3D printed by Shapeways since I don't have access to a 3D printer.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #10,053 of 12,086
Thanks for the info on Shapeways.  I didn't know a service like that existed!

On the M1060, the paper towel should go under the outside grill, you can look at pictures linked in my signature.  Is this what you meant?

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #10,055 of 12,086
Yeah so click the middle picture in my sig.  It shows the M1060 with the paper towel underneath the outside grill.  You just need to remove the 4 screws, place the paper towel on top of the black foam, and reattach the grill.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #10,056 of 12,086
So I had these printed and just paired them up with the Dekoni sheepskin pads and it brought the sound back to where it was with the stock pads. It's amazing, I've been sitting on these pads for months because without the discs, the bass got murdered. It was a shame too, because I loved the feel of the Dekoni's but didn't like what it did to the bass. You have no idea how awesome it is to finally be able to enjoy Dekoni pads now. That's why I got super excited when I saw them on /r/headphones.

That's great to hear. Means a lot to hear that something I made was helpful to someone out there :)

By the way, did you have them printed through Thingiverse?could you take a pic of what the finished product looks like? I'm curious about what printing method they use.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #10,057 of 12,086
That's great to hear. Means a lot to hear that something I made was helpful to someone out there
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, did you have them printed through Thingiverse?could you take a pic of what the finished product looks like? I'm curious about what printing method they use.

I had them printed through Shapeways. I didn't realize Thingiverse did printing, but probably should've known. I used the rounded edges (both sides.) The only thing I noticed of note was that they had a little bit of a rough feel to them with some dust that needed to be brushed off. I took some pics as close to them as I could without getting super blurry. Let me know if you'd like to see any other angles or distances. 

Edit: I used the 'Strong & Flexible' plastic. If I were to do it again, I'd probably switch it to the PLA or Acrylic plastic.

https://imgur.com/a/1qov2

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #10,058 of 12,086

I had them printed through Shapeways. I didn't realize Thingiverse did printing, but probably should've known. I used the rounded edges (both sides.) The only thing I noticed of note was that they had a little bit of a rough feel to them with some dust that needed to be brushed off. I took some pics as close to them as I could without getting super blurry. Let me know if you'd like to see any other angles or distances. 

Edit: I used the 'Strong & Flexible' plastic. If I were to do it again, I'd probably switch it to the PLA or Acrylic plastic.

https://imgur.com/a/1qov2

thanks for the pics. Yea, as far as i know they dont use FDM printing, hence the sandy feel. but it should look closer to injection molded.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #10,060 of 12,086
  Which one of the files is closest to the OEM Fostex part?

I'm not entirely sure which one would be closest because I haven't taken the stock pads apart to see. I'd guess it would be the both sides rounded, which is what I went with. Which, if I'm understanding the files right, instead of having sharp 90 degree edges, it just rounds them off so I don't think there would be too much difference between them.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #10,061 of 12,086
Yeah, my inclination is to go with both sides rounded as well.  Kind of like why ports are smooth and tapered rather than a straight hole.  

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #10,063 of 12,086
  Quick question... do we know what type of ebony wood was used for these?  Macassar?  Gaboon?

Highly unlikely they sprang for Gaboon ebony since they didn't on previous runs, due to its exorbitant price. Even Mark Lawton was only able to get hold of one plank of Gaboon, and those cups cost $679 all told.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #10,064 of 12,086
  Highly unlikely they sprang for Gaboon ebony since they didn't on previous runs, due to its exorbitant price. Even Mark Lawton was only able to get hold of one plank of Gaboon, and those cups cost $679 all told.

Haha, yeah, I'm sure it cost quite a bit... I ask because I was wondering how much interest people would have in wooden ebony headphone stands and was thinking I'd try and match the wood. It's much more likely to be something like Macassar but thought someone here might know.

In fact, a local lumber guy in my area says he just got a shipment of Gaboon... $125 per board foot!

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #10,065 of 12,086
Anyone compare to the X00 Mahogany to the TH610's? I just got the 610's in and they're pretty tame on bass. Equal to my HD650's. I'm looking for some god damn OOMPH out of bass and sub bass.  Something at least equal to the Fidelio X2's. I was expecting more bass than the X2's for it being a closed back on the 610's. Highly disappointed. Hopefully the x00 has more bass. How are the highs compared too? I love the highs from the 610's. Nice and airy like my ribbon tweeters in my bookshelf speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back