Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #9,886 of 12,086
I already reached out to PETEREK. I wanted to do the replaceable cable mod, but I didn't want to spend an extra $80 to do that because I change headphones so frequently, lol. I think I'll just get the cable shortened. I briefly owned the THX00, and the cable and ear pads were deal-breakers for me. I'm hoping it goes better this time. :)

I've constantly seen them holding their value and selling for $400 in the classifieds with the Peterek job. But I feel ya, no need if you don't plan on keeping it. I will say, though, that the removable cable job is what made these a keeper for me along with the sound.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #9,887 of 12,086
I've constantly seen them holding their value and selling for $400 in the classifieds with the Peterek job. But I feel ya, no need if you don't plan on keeping it. I will say, though, that the removable cable job is what made these a keeper for me along with the sound.

He's going to shorten the cable to 5 ft w/ a 3.5mm termination, and the rest of the cable will be used as an extension cable. I'm good w/ this half-way solution. I should be able to re-coup my costs if I change my mind. 

So, here's the big question: How close are they to my ZMF Oris? I have a Jotunheim coming in tomorrow, and I'll have the THX00s hopefully late next week, but we'll see. I'm looking forward to seeing how good the THX00s are for half the price.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #9,888 of 12,086
I just picked up a pair of these, and and I can't decide if I should just shorten the cable, or let it be.

What's the consensus here?

Also, I have a fresh pair of ZMF Ori and a pair of Brainwavz flat sheepskin pads. Sounds like both are good options. The Alpha Pads are always good, it seems.

Is one of these pads a consensus favorite?

Don't think there is truly a concensus, it's mainly about personal preference and people seem to like all different pads. I got the TH-X00 PH specifically because I knew I wanted to change to the pads I had on my old Denon AH-D2000's (lambskin J Money pads) and the PH have the most bass boost of the TH-X00 family. J Money pads are nearly exact in all dimension and design to the ZMF Ori pads. With the J Money pads there is some bass level lost, but the other gains more than make up for the slight loss in level. Low end clarity, detail, extension, and speed are all improved, and the mids are bought a little more forward, and a little more detail and energy in the highs. The stock pads, in addition to being not comfortable, really don't do the low end justice, it can sound overpowering and distorted in heavy bass tracks along with being a little flabby and competing with the lower mids. May be able to get away with the stock pads for non bass heavy tracks or a non PH TH-X00. I didn't buy the PH's for non bass intensive music though...

I would say there may be a consensus on one of the pads to not try on a TH-X00...the Shure 1540...whoooo weee was that an earful of treble and massive distorted bass, SUPER V shaped! Looked interesting and felt nice though:

i-SwWKnVC-X4.jpg

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #9,889 of 12,086
I just picked up a pair of these, and and I can't decide if I should just shorten the cable, or let it be.

What's the consensus here?

Also, I have a fresh pair of ZMF Ori and a pair of Brainwavz flat sheepskin pads. Sounds like both are good options. The Alpha Pads are always good, it seems.

Is one of these pads a consensus favorite?

Don't think there is truly a concensus, it's mainly about personal preference and people seem to like all different pads. I got the TH-X00 PH specifically because I knew I wanted to change to the pads I had on my old Denon AH-D2000's (lambskin J Money pads) and the PH have the most bass boost of the TH-X00 family. J Money pads are nearly exact in all dimension and design to the ZMF Ori pads. With the J Money pads there is some bass level lost, but the other gains more than make up for the slight loss in level. Low end clarity, detail, extension, and speed are all improved, and the mids are bought a little more forward, and a little more detail and energy in the highs. The stock pads, in addition to being not comfortable, really don't do the low end justice, it can sound overpowering and distorted in heavy bass tracks along with being a little flabby and competing with the lower mids. May be able to get away with the stock pads for non bass heavy tracks or a non PH TH-X00. I didn't buy the PH's for non bass intensive music though...

I would say there may be a consensus on one of the pads to not try on a TH-X00...the Shure 1540...whoooo weee was that an earful of treble and massive distorted bass, SUPER V shaped!

Thanks for your impressions.

I wonder what happened to JMoney. They seemed to make nice pads back in the day.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #9,890 of 12,086

I got the TH-X00 PH specifically because I knew I wanted to change to the pads I had on my old Denon AH-D2000's (lambskin J Money pads) and the PH have the most bass boost of the TH-X00 family. J Money pads are nearly exact in all dimension and design to the ZMF Ori pads.

Ooooh, that's VERY good info to know! I put Ori Lambskin pads on my PH, but had no idea they were close to the J Money I keep hearing about.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #9,892 of 12,086
So would I be correct in assuming that the Massdrop Mahogany TH-X00s are the best "bass head" cans that don't sacrifice overall detail and clarity? I plan to eventually get some HD650 or similar open cans to upgrade from my HD598s, but also want to get something better in the closed back department to upgrade from my HD 280 PROs. Also, currently using a Modi Multibit and Vali 2 stack, would these pair well with the TH-X00?

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #9,893 of 12,086
Anyone who owns both that can compare the Sennheiser Momentum v1 over ear against TH-X00 Purplehearts? I have the Momentums and have a hard time to chose if I should pull the trigger on a used pair of X00.. I mainly listen to metal(death, black, prog) but also some acoustic music. I like the Momentums but I also love the Philips X1, actually I love my X1 so much I have another spare pair.. 

And yeah, I live in Sweden so the used price of the X00 is a bit higher here I guess.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #9,894 of 12,086
  Anyone who owns both that can compare the Sennheiser Momentum v1 over ear against TH-X00 Purplehearts? I have the Momentums and have a hard time to chose if I should pull the trigger on a used pair of X00.. I mainly listen to metal(death, black, prog) but also some acoustic music. I like the Momentums but I also love the Philips X1, actually I love my X1 so much I have another spare pair.. 

And yeah, I live in Sweden so the used price of the X00 is a bit higher here I guess.

I do not. I own the HE400i, K712pro, X2, and now Purpleheart. I find them very clear and detailed, EQ'd some mids in and EQ'd the low-end so now they feel like subwoofers on my ears without getting muddy in the slightest.

Not sure how the Momentum would compare, but I'm digging these TH-x00s.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #9,895 of 12,086

I still have my Momentum but my TH-X00 and X1 are both gone, the X1 was replaced by custom Ypsilon S2 and the TH-X00 was suppose to replace my TH-600 but the TH-600 just sounds better to me.  Also, the ear pads of the TH-X00 just didn't get along with me and its no where near as comfortable as the TH-600 ear pads for me.

For you the TH-X00 might be a step up from the X1, the bass is cleaner and the highs are a touch more extended than the X1 but the mids of the TH-X00 is a little recessed compared to the X1 so the sound will be different.  I don't listen to metal but a lot of acoustic jazz and classical and the TH-X00 is not a headphone I would use, this is where the custom Ypsilon S2 is miles ahead for this type of music.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #9,897 of 12,086
What's the trick to getting the ZMF Ori/Omni pads on these? I have an Emu Teak, which is the same size.

Is it just a matter of stretching the pads out horizontally?

Pull them over on one side, then slowly roll and stretch the rest over the twist lock ring - this works for the Brainwavz pads also, although oval pads need a bit of extra patience.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #9,898 of 12,086
I'm not sure what happened tried the ZMF Angled Lambskin pads and, while music sounded better with better soundstage i couldn't watch youtube videos anymore the harshness in Treble made me cry everytime, i even tried to lower treble lvls -2 -6 but it made the speech sound muffled and not 'right'. I did try some China Protein Leather pads too but had similar problems the highs killed my ears!

So i switched back and now these do sound better (a bit too much bass for my liking), i did lose the improvement on soundstage.

/I have TH x00 PH/

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #9,899 of 12,086
  I'm not sure what happened tried the ZMF Angled Lambskin pads and, while music sounded better with better soundstage i couldn't watch youtube videos anymore the harshness in Treble made me cry everytime, i even tried to lower treble lvls -2 -6 but it made the speech sound muffled and not 'right'. I did try some China Protein Leather pads too but had similar problems the highs killed my ears!

So i switched back and now these do sound better (a bit too much bass for my liking), i did lose the improvement on soundstage.

/I have TH x00 PH/

If music sounds good, but treble harshness is bothering you on YouTube, you could be sensitive to compression artifacting. I get a similar effect when I listen to poorly recorded, low-bitrate mp3s. 

The solution? Don't listen to YouTube with your nice headphones, lol. What kind of system are you listening to music through?

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #9,900 of 12,086

If music sounds good, but treble harshness is bothering you on YouTube, you could be sensitive to compression artifacting. I get a similar effect when I listen to poorly recorded, low-bitrate mp3s. 

The solution? Don't listen to YouTube with your nice headphones, lol. What kind of system are you listening to music through?

Hey man thats an interesting thing to say, i didn't even think about that. Well i have Topping D30 and A30 but im mostly driving my headphones with M-A01 & M-P01 (amp&preamp vintage).
But i dont notice the same problem while using Stax tho im driving those badasses with hybrid amp so could tubes alleviate it?
(I might have to rewatch videos with Stax to be certain that im not hearing that harshness in youtube..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back