Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 14, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #9,901 of 12,087
Pull them over on one side, then slowly roll and stretch the rest over the twist lock ring - this works for the Brainwavz pads also, although oval pads need a bit of extra patience.

Now, does it make a difference that I have the EMU Teaks w/ the detachable cables? I'm having trouble getting enough of the pad around the cup with the cable area protruding.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #9,902 of 12,087
It's not super clean, but it works for now. I'm just concerned the Ori pads will fall off.

Does anyone else have a detachable cable mod (dual 2.5mm connections) like mine? If so, which pads are you using?

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #9,905 of 12,087
Different strokes...

The K7XX is not as good in some ways, but I actually think it's a better balanced headphone overall. If you have a good enough amp, anyway, it sounds like **** off portables. 

The X00 is easier to drive, has way better bass, is a U shaped headphone and is bright. It has better build quality and is much better looking than a 7xx but yeah... I still think it is not quite as good. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #9,908 of 12,087
Mar 15, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #9,910 of 12,087
The K7XX is not as good in some ways, but I actually think it's a better balanced headphone overall. If you have a good enough amp, anyway, it sounds like **** off portables. 

The X00 is easier to drive, has way better bass, is a U shaped headphone and is bright. It has better build quality and is much better looking than a 7xx but yeah... I still think it is not quite as good. 

I owned the K7XX, it's a great headphone for the money. But I prefer a U-shaped signature.

But the K7XX is awesome for gaming and orchestral/soundtracks.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #9,913 of 12,087
Take out the rings, put them in the new pads. You aren't supposed to pull the pads over the cup, only over the flexible plastic ring that locks into the baffle.

Oh, understood.

I didn't realize that, and sold them

This is like the Hifiman pad mod, where you have to pull the ring out to use a new pad.

So, where can I get a cheap pad with the ring I can destroy to make these pads fit better?

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #9,914 of 12,087
  The magni 2 is enough to drive the K7XXs, right?

The 7xx tends to scale with whatever equipment you have. if you have a 2000 dollar amp you'll get more out of it than a 500 dollar one, period. 

I owned the K7XX, it's a great headphone for the money. But I prefer a U-shaped signature.

But the K7XX is awesome for gaming and orchestral/soundtracks.

there is a thread for the K7XX: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #9,915 of 12,087
Oh, understood.

I didn't realize that, and sold them

This is like the Hifiman pad mod, where you have to pull the ring out to use a new pad.

So, where can I get a cheap pad with the ring I can destroy to make these pads fit better?

This loose plastic ring is what you want:

See the ring that's lying loosely on the desk? That's the one you need, no destructive action required.

These are the twist lock rings, to be clear. You can order some here if you actually don't have them anymore: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272657-Fostex-1412552460
You take them off the baffle, out of the stock pad (no destruction needed, they're just inserted loosely), then peel your new pad on and lock them back into the chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back