Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 18, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #9,814 of 12,086
I put this together from the response graphs on MD's pages just to see how the E-MU Teak (green line) stacked up against the TH-X00 variants, and it'll be interesting to hear if this is at all accurate. I transposed the dB down a bit (~15?) to match the relatively lower output of the EB and MH, but otherwise the Teak's curve aligns neatly at 100, 1k and 10k despite not being as detailed as the TH-X00 curves. If the methodology was similar, then the graph might actually be somewhat applicable.

Looking at the lines, it seems to perform somewhat similarly to the ebony below 2k with plenty of extension down low. The Teaks drop down as deeply but earlier than the mahogany (at ~2.8k instead of the MH's ~3.2k dip) and don't get as peaky at 6k and 8k like even the EB can. In fact, the Teaks don't appear to behave like any TH-X00 variant past 5k. That notch between 7k and 8k keeps the frequency up to 10k in check but that steady extension all the way up to ~16k seems pretty unique for this driver variant. Curious to find out how aggressive that sounds in practice.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #9,815 of 12,086
For the best bass reproduction (subbass/extension/punch) are the Purplehearts the way to go ? I can get TH-610 for a bit less, are they better
I want them Mostly for electronic music but could use them for other if they work well. I always use an eq when I have bass cravings btw, if that is relevant.
Also would the lgG5 + B&O DAC be enough for a more portable use regarding power ?

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #9,817 of 12,086
I will chime in and say I really, really love the sound I get out of my Mahogany TH-X00's.  They are my current daily drivers and I am continually surprised and pleased at how smooth and clear they sound while still having that strong bass and thump that I love.

I still don't love the earpads.  They have softened some with use but I wish the ear holes were larger and didn't press on my ear quite the way that they do.  This really only comes in to play with extended, multi-hour use so it isn't a large complaint.

I agree, i live my Mahogany's, continually surprised at the unbeleivable sounds. I am not having a problem with the earpads at allto be honest. Love the thread

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #9,818 of 12,086
I agree, i live my Mahogany's, continually surprised at the unbeleivable sounds. I am not having a problem with the earpads at allto be honest. Love the thread

Consider your self lucky that the ear pads are not a problem, for me its was a deal breaker.  Sound wise I think the TH-X00 was decent but due to the ear pads I usually heard some distortion at times which I never heard on a TH-600.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #9,819 of 12,086
These make me smile every time I put them...

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back