Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 12, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #9,796 of 12,086

Looking for the Yamamoto HA-02:)

Had to look up the amp, first time I've ever heard of it.  The specs look good and it seem it was made for headphones with wood cups like the ATH-W1000 and RS series Grado.  If you already have this amp then you might be the only one that I know of who has one so I don't think there are too many out there that can tell you how it would pair with the TH-X00 or almost any other headphone since its not a very common amp.  Sure does look nice, like a good match for a TH-900 IMO.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #9,798 of 12,086
I've never heard the E-Mu but I know Chan (who is the person in charge of E-Mu) actually modifies the wood cups (I believe he makes them thinner) and that changes the sound a little bit.  Supposedly the E-Mu teak is even smoother sounding than the TH-X00 which would be amazing because the TH-X00's sound very smooth indeed!

They use the same driver though so they have a lot in common and you can't go wrong either way.  I would even go so far to say you should get the one that you like the way it looks the best since the sound quality isn't going to be vastly different among any of the models offered.

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #9,799 of 12,086
I've never heard the E-Mu but I know Chan (who is the person in charge of E-Mu) actually modifies the wood cups (I believe he makes them thinner) and that changes the sound a little bit.  Supposedly the E-Mu teak is even smoother sounding than the TH-X00 which would be amazing because the TH-X00's sound very smooth indeed!

They use the same driver though so they have a lot in common and you can't go wrong either way.  I would even go so far to say you should get the one that you like the way it looks the best since the sound quality isn't going to be vastly different among any of the models offered.
I already have th900, d7k, thx00. Looks like I don't have to explore the emu

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #9,800 of 12,086
I heard the E-Mu teak vs my ebony. In the stock from, the teak sound little better, more smooth, larger soundstage, also warmer. But ebony looks more beautiful than teak, if the looking is your thing.

If I did not by ebony already, i think teak is a better choice, sound and upgradbility wise

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #9,802 of 12,086
Just joined the Ebony drop. Now looking for a headphone stand. I'm going against those omega stands since it looks like they might compress the headphone ear pads. 

Still looking, but leaning towards something with this kind of design so it's easy for me to just grab and use the headphones. Some designs I see have very narrow hanger, but the Ebony is heavy so I'm sure the headband would get compressed.

http://www.avantree.com/headphone-stand-with-cable-holder-hs102.html

Any suggestions?

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #9,803 of 12,086
Just joined the Ebony drop. Now looking for a headphone stand. I'm going against those omega stands since it looks like they might compress the headphone ear pads. 

Still looking, but leaning towards something with this kind of design so it's easy for me to just grab and use the headphones. Some designs I see have very narrow hanger, but the Ebony is heavy so I'm sure the headband would get compressed.

Any suggestions?

Omega stand does not compress the pads if you don't have the headband all the way in. The pads are naturally rested on the stand.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #9,804 of 12,086

Any suggestions?

The stand might be a little too short, causing the cables to be smashed or bent a bit on the table surface.  I think about 29+ cm is what is needed to have some space for the cables to not be overly bent.  Its why the Woo stand is nice, starts at 11" (28cm) and goes to 14" (35.5cm) if needed, a bit pricy but well worth it IMO.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #9,806 of 12,086
Omega stand does not compress the pads if you don't have the headband all the way in. The pads are naturally rested on the stand.

Thanks for the image! Solves one problem but I will just get annoyed having to extend/retract whenever I would take my headphones off/on, which I do often especially if I'm going to be switching headphones back and forth >.< Omegas do look very nice though. 

The stand might be a little too short, causing the cables to be smashed or bent a bit on the table surface.  I think about 29+ cm is what is needed to have some space for the cables to not be overly bent.  Its why the Woo stand is nice, starts at 11" (28cm) and goes to 14" (35.5cm) if needed, a bit pricy but well worth it IMO.

After doing quite a bit more research, I think I will be going for this stand. Pricey indeed, but good call on the cables. I would be able to put on two headphones and hanger-style (if that's the right term) would be best suited for me since I like switching headphones. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #9,807 of 12,086

Thanks for the image! Solves one problem but I will just get annoyed having to extend/retract whenever I would take my headphones off/on, which I do often especially if I'm going to be switching headphones back and forth >.< Omegas do look very nice though. 

After doing quite a bit more research, I think I will be going for this stand. Pricey indeed, but good call on the cables. I would be able to put on two headphones and hanger-style (if that's the right term) would be best suited for me since I like switching headphones. Thanks!

I played around with the HP and Omega stand for a while today, if you have one click (or more) per side, the pads will not be compressed. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #9,808 of 12,086
I received my used pair on Monday and have been burning them into my brain since.

The bass has cleared up a bit since my initial impressions.  I love the solidness of the thump.

Sounds great with the Mimby/Magni2Uber.

Edit: should also mention I switched to Hybrid/flat HM5 pads and have really enjoyed them.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #9,809 of 12,086
I will chime in and say I really, really love the sound I get out of my Mahogany TH-X00's.  They are my current daily drivers and I am continually surprised and pleased at how smooth and clear they sound while still having that strong bass and thump that I love.

I still don't love the earpads.  They have softened some with use but I wish the ear holes were larger and didn't press on my ear quite the way that they do.  This really only comes in to play with extended, multi-hour use so it isn't a large complaint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back