Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 2, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #8,506 of 12,086

Some isolation.  I also bring the B&W P7 occasionally (less bulk, anyway).  The noise cancelling headphones sound like garbage to my ears.  I'd rather have fidelity.  Plus I have a great pair of headphones in the hotel room.  No one has ever complained about the headphones leaking, and a guy on my last trip slept soundly beside me while I played music the whole flight.  I've asked my neighbors if they could hear anything... nope.  I have a pair of UERMs that I used prior to this rig, but they're really neutral from a listening standpoint.  Too neutral.  Perfect for doing work, but not so great for pleasure.

I purchased the Hugo (used, of course!) before the Mojo hit the streets.  Buying a Mojo would be redundant.  

The Hugo has a swell leather travel case that fits the AK nicely in one package.  People still think I'm strange, but whatever... I suppose I am... and I don't care!

I did not say you are strange. Just do some uncommon things. There is nothing wrong with that, just made me curious.
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #8,507 of 12,086
  Thank you.   I was in on the last TH-X00 drop (am waiting for them to ship), and I kept reading about them and the sometimes peaky highs.  It had me a little concerned.

No problem! I feel like the big fix to taming a lot of high-impedence treble-y headphones is a warm af tube amp. But I haven't gotten to the point where I can justify the purchase of one... yet. I can only image it would help tame the edge off the TH-X00s, the HE-400i (which I used to own) and even the brighter Beyers.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,508 of 12,086
  No problem! I feel like the big fix to taming a lot of high-impedence treble-y headphones is a warm af tube amp. But I haven't gotten to the point where I can justify the purchase of one... yet. I can only image it would help tame the edge off the TH-X00s, the HE-400i (which I used to own) and even the brighter Beyers.

Same here.  

I have very little experience with tube amps.  I fiddled around with the Schiit Vali2 and 4 or 5 tubes about a year ago before returning it.  I discovered I dislike tube rolling.   Spending $200 for "the holy grail of tubes" for a $170 amp just didn't make sense to me.

I heard a DarkVoice 336 once.  Wasn't the best for EDM / some rock, imo. It was only a quick impression, so... meh, who knows.

It also seems the tube amps appropriate for lower impedance phones, which don't neuter sub-bass, are wicked expensive.  (Or so I've read.)  That, and considering the more tubes you have on the amp = all the more $$$ I'd be throwing down a hole to tube roll for what I perceive as minor sound changes anyway.  It seems a little counter to logic. My logic anyway.   =)   I realize this could all be vastly different on true (non-hybrid) tube amps, but the above are my initial impression of tubes and whatnot.  

I guess tube amps are just 1 more cliff I'll have to throw myself off eventually.  Audiophilia... damned expensive disease.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #8,509 of 12,086

Tube amps CAN smooth out peaky cans, but this is tube and amp dependent. The Valhalla 2, for example, sounds very much like a lot of SS amps i've tried with stock tubes. Some tube rolling was necessary before I got that rich, warm tube sound I was looking for. It sounds amazing with my T1's, HD600's and any other high impedance cans I've tried/owned, but tube amps will fall short with current hungry, low impedance, PM cans like the 400i. Moving to tubes means you're pretty much committing to high impedance, voltage hungry cans like the Beyers and Senn's (some exceptions obviously exist).

As for the X00's, the Valhalla did fairy well due to the variable output impedance form the gain switch, but after comparing it to a low output impedance SS amp the difference was noticeable. Although they really did sound good from my tube amp, compared to a decent SS the bass was a tad bloated and bled into the mids. I'm assuming the higher output impedance and tubes I use was the culprit. Smoothed out highs? yes, but with some consequences. Been listening to the X00 for a few days exclusively from a Polaris and haven't noticed any treble peeks to my treble sensitive ears.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #8,510 of 12,086
Bass bleeding into the mids? The Purplehearts do that without EQ - that mid-bass is very prominent. A few db cut @ 125hz helps a lot. For my taste, a slight boost @ 4K and upwards helps too... Hearing some find the treble too hot as-is, maybe not for everyone.

In conclusion, these have less of a V-shaped sig than my D2000 and more mid-bass. They need some EQ, imo.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #8,511 of 12,086
Dont have the purple hearts, suppose I should have mentioned that. Previous statements made based on the first drop X00's. Not sure of what kind of difference that makes as I've never compared the two. Tubes seemed to add to the bloom and bleed of the first edition X00's. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #8,512 of 12,086
    I finally got to listen to the damn things for almost a day,and i have to say i am really happy with the sound.The bass is definetly there.On some tracks it is mouth watering.Don't have anything to say about the mids they sound sweet to me.The highs though are good,but on some tracks they get pretty harsh and it is almost unbearable.Don't know if that is the headphones or the Magni 2U.I am still burning them,so i hope the sound will settle and the highs will get a bit smoother overtime.But comparing them to my M50X...in a different league.The clarity,resolution,bass extension is great.Just better in every way.People say the X00 don't have big soundstage,or they don't have at all,but to me,they have good soundstage.I have not heard that in the M50X.And they definetly pick out bad recordings.I had a few times where i played a track that i thought sounded good on the M50s,but with the X00 it sounded bad.
  Pairing them with the Zdac V2 and the Magni 2,i would say i am pretty happy with the pairing.The Magni is a cute little Schiit indeed.Did not expect it to be that small,and i even giggled when i took it out of the box.I plugged them in the headphone out of the Zdac,and they sounded great too,but from the Magni,the bass and the overall image of the sound is more..crispy sounding idk.Maybe because of the highs,im not sure.Did not expect it to be that small,and i even giggled when i took it out of the box.But my hands are itchy now to try some different Schiit.A Mimby maybe..
I would like to EQ the highs a bit,but im not sure what to EQ exactly,so if anyone has any tips on how to do that,give a little tip.

I think your issue might be with the Magni (original).  I had one, but sold it because it could be "crispy" as you say, and a bit cold or harsh in the treble.  I never hear harshness in my TH-X00 Mahogany; am very pleased with it.  Am fortunate to drive it currently with a Moon Neo 230HAD, which suits it perfectly.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #8,513 of 12,086
once music starts playing you don't hear the ambient noise of the aircraft.

depends on how loud you listen.  Most airplane cabins have ambient noise around 85dB, meaning you'd need to play around 90dB to drown out ambient noise given the 10dB ambient cut the THX00 gives.  And have it highly compressed 90dB at that.  For me, even with my sealed SRH840, I had to play it slightly uncomfortably loud to cut the ambient noise from the airplane and the SRH840 cuts about 30dB more ambient noise than the THX00 does.  Some people on here listen at 100dB, and at that volume you could listen to a Grado and you wouldn't hear ambient noise, haha.

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #8,514 of 12,086
Some people on here listen at 100dB, and at that volume you could listen to a Grado and you wouldn't hear ambient noise, haha.

Neither will the people sitting next to you. Haha

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #8,516 of 12,086
Just a humble suggestion: before you decide you want to buy another headphone, another DAC or amp, deprive yourself for two days from your current setup. 
You will enjoy what you have as much as you had bought a new piece of gear.
Just a money saving solution. Obviously doesn't apply for all forum members. :wink:

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #8,517 of 12,086
I got my Purplehearts a couple of weeks ago, and: too many headphones ... they sound great, but so do my other ones.
They've got about one hour's use and they're still in their original packaging ... PM me if anyone's interested in buying them, I'm based in the UK. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back